Eggtimer Quark Destruction

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by Dipstick, Dec 31, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Dec 31, 2019 #1

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

Well, all I said was to myself was, at $15 a quark, I'm gonna give this a shot...

I screwed up on step two, and I think I know the answer to this, but the board is shot now with the silver pad burned off right? :) I attempted to attach the wrong component, and it was too a little too large, some solder trickled off into that ground as well...

I think I might try do the rest just to see if I can, and then reconsider putting these together myself lol

quark.jpg

2. Dec 31, 2019 #2

g.pitts

g.pitts

g.pitts

Forum Supporter TRF Supporter

I would say it’s a goner. While you MIGHT be able to cobble the cap back in, I would not trust it to be reliable in a rocket of mine. However, you’ve got the right mindset: how can I get something out of this experience? That’s a mature outlook on what I’d term a “learning opportunity“. Practice away on this board in the spirit of nailing it on the next kit build.

In the meantime, get your replacement order in!

3. Dec 31, 2019 #3

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

timbucktoo

Well-Known Member Staff Member Global Mod

I fried my first Quark. Hooked battery up backward. Cris sent me a few replacement parts, still no go. For the price you can’t go wrong. Have built several more since.

NickG likes this.
  4. Dec 31, 2019 #4

heada

heada

heada

If you had some magnet wire and good skills, you could expose some of the trace and use the magnet wire as a jumper. If you don't know how to do that then it's not the time to learn. New board is cheap.

5. Dec 31, 2019 #5

Voyager1

Voyager1

Voyager1

I would complete the board as carefully as possible as an exercise in soldering.

It would be possible to re-solder the 0.1uF capacitor to the remaining pad on the left and obliquely across to the broad pcb track under the “0.1uF” text. If you carefully scrape a small area of the green resist coating from the track with a scalpel to expose fresh Copper, you can re-solder the cap in the new orientation.

You will also need to re-link the track to the top through-hole for the beeper. It is possible, but will require a steady hand, good lighting and magnification.

These sort of pcb operations are not unusual for an experienced solderer, but if you’re a little challenged in that area, then just use it as practise.

However, as G said above, you wouldn’t really trust the altimeter in one of your rockets, particularly if it was used for deployment. If it’s just used for non-critical reporting of altitude, then go for it!

Cris will advise you here.

6. Dec 31, 2019 #6

cerving

cerving

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry TRF Sponsor TRF Supporter

Actually, the missing pad connects directly to the adjacent processor pin, and the broken trace below it is OK if broken (it goes to GND, but so does that missing pad since there's another via to GND by the processor pin). I'd try to fix it... but as Voyager1 said, if nothing else you'll get some soldering practice out of it.

7. Jan 4, 2020 #7

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

Well, that was a lot of fun. Starting with a new tip made things even easier.

After wrapping up and creating the solder bridge recommend by Chris I got the unit on and beeping as it should. That was a little surprising to me

I kept going and got a nominal drogue test with ematch. At this point my ego was nicely inflated...then I tried the main test and don't get an ignition. Altimeter goes into test mode and gets to the 5 second beep before ignition, but no light. I tried several batteries and ematch to rule that out...any ideas Chris? Others? IMG_20200103_172259.jpeg

8. Jan 4, 2020 #8

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

Aha, apparently I should have looked at the board before posting, see what I missed?

I'll report back once that has been rectified

9. Jan 4, 2020 #9

Voyager1

Voyager1

Voyager1

There appear to be a few empty pads to the left of the beeper.

10. Jan 4, 2020 #10

Dipstick

Dipstick

Dipstick

You got it. A little embarrassing but hey, putting them on fixed my problem lol.

Glad to say my first egg timer build was a success. I actually feel quite confident to do more now

11. Jan 4, 2020 #11

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman

Greg Furtman