Eggtimer Quantum Temperature Issue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
During the ROCtober launch last weekend we ran into some issues with the Quantum not arming due to a hardware error code. Upon further investigation, it was found that it appeared to be temperature-related, since these were early morning flights and the rockets had sat in the van all night in relatively cool weather (at least for SoCal...). Once it warmed up a bit, everything was fine, in fact we flew one on a K630 with no problems later in the day.

Got back to the shop and did some investigating, and we found that there is apparently an issue with the temperature compensation part of the baro sensor software. We're actively testing a fix and will post it on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site as soon as we can verify it. Until then, note that your Quantum may give you a "two beep" hardware error on power-up if the temperature is below about 60F. We have had no reports of this problem from any users out in the field, but we know it's out there so we're going to get it fixed as quick as we can... we know that there are lots of launches in October and a few big ones (like Midwest Power) in November.

As usual, thanks for your continuing support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Question : Was this more than one Quantum? If so, I can see your efforts at remedying the situation. Could be more of an issue with polar bear fliers. Sixty degrees F really is not so cold so best of luck with the firmware fix.
Kurt

Yes. It's a software, not a hardware issue. I found the problem and fixed it last night, it needs some more testing to make sure it's 100% before I release it. The goal is to have it out by Thursday, so anyone flying this weekend can update their Quantums before this weekend's flights.

Question : Was this more than one Quantum? If so, I can see your efforts at remedying the situation. Could be more of an issue with polar bear fliers. Sixty degrees F really is not so cold so best of luck with the firmware fix.
Kurt

During at least half of my flying season I rarely see 60 degrees.

Well, it gets reasonably cold at Lucerne Valley at night, it was below 50F last Friday night, and it's supposed to be in the mid-40's next week. It can get below freezing there, and they occasionally get snow flurries because they're at about 2800'. Usually thermal problems are due to heat, not cold... this just happened to be a weird one that I never caught in testing before because the Quantum came out in the late Spring.

Thanks Chris - Just got (won at BALLS) an EggTimer Quantum. It is currently being assembled. I cannot seem to get to your website. Could you give me your current link(s)

Thanks

Andy Limper

Nice to see such a fast fix. It's getting pretty cool at night here in Utah, if you like I could put my Quantum outside overnight and try to duplicate the issue and verify the fix.

This immediate attention to issues reassures me of my investment in the Eggtimer products!! I just purchased the Quantum and I'm pleased to see you are going beyond the call to fix something before fliers find it. Keep up the great job and I look forward to getting mine in the mail so I can put it together!!

Dallas

Well, it gets reasonably cold at Lucerne Valley at night, it was below 50F last Friday night, and it's supposed to be in the mid-40's next week. It can get below freezing there, and they occasionally get snow flurries because they're at about 2800'. Usually thermal problems are due to heat, not cold... this just happened to be a weird one that I never caught in testing before because the Quantum came out in the late Spring.

Chris, come fly in Wisconsin in January or February. Think 20 F or colder most of the time, and possibly much colder.

Great, but I think TRA prohibits liquid fuels... :)

If you put ice cubes in said distillery's output, then it's kind of like a hybrid?

Note- I think the distillery owner (and any reasonable person) would consider the output as a monopropellant and not do this :)

The fix is now available on the Eggtimer Rocketry web site, go to www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page66.php , or choose Eggtimer Quantum Support/Downloads from the main page. We've verified that the altitude figures are now being calculated accurately from 0 F up to 150 F, and theoretically the range is -40 C to 85 C.

This immediate attention to issues reassures me of my investment in the Eggtimer products!! I just purchased the Quantum and I'm pleased to see you are going beyond the call to fix something before fliers find it. Keep up the great job and I look forward to getting mine in the mail so I can put it together!!

Dallas

This is exactly why I only own and fly Eggtimers. You can't beat the quality, functionality, and the support.

Back