Eggtimer Quantum question

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by MikeyDSlagle, Jun 30, 2019.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jun 30, 2019 #1

MikeyDSlagle

MikeyDSlagle

MikeyDSlagle

I have contacted Eggtimer support just thought I would bring this question here as well as it may not require customer service.
    The Quantum boots up fine, I can pull up the page, change settings, and so on.
    But when I go to unplug the battery, the WiFi module is HOT. The voltage regulator may have been even hotter, uncomfortably so. I haven't powered it back up in fear the magic smoke may escape, but the EEPROM may have been hot as well.
    Is it normal to run hot? Never fooled with an exposed WiFi module before.

Battery is a 7.2V LiPo. 300MAH

Thanks

2. Jul 1, 2019 #2

cerving

cerving

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry TRF Sponsor TRF Supporter

It is definitely not normal for it to be hot to the touch... this almost always an indicator that you have a short somewhere, most likely upstream of the voltage regulator. Get out a 10x jeweler's loupe and check everything thoroughly, particularly the solder joints around the WiFi module... too much solder there can cause problems.

3. Jul 1, 2019 #3

MikeyDSlagle

MikeyDSlagle

MikeyDSlagle

Okay, will do Cris. I checked it out the best I could before posting and emailing ya. I'll locate my loop and see what I can find.

4. Jul 11, 2019 #4

ksaves2

ksaves2

ksaves2

Lifetime Supporter TRF Lifetime Supporter

Sometimes the overheating problems are nearly impossible to troubleshoot without specialized soldering equipment. If you have a solder bridge under the WiFi chip, it might be next to impossible to find it. By all means, use a loupe and see if you can find something easy and external to fix. Kurt