Eggtimer Quantum Airstart Software Now Available

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
After months of testing and burning a whole lot of AP, the airstart software update for the Eggtimer Quantum is now available. You can get it on the Eggtimer web site, at https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page66.php , and the documentation at https://www.eggtimerrocketry.com/page65.php . PLEASE read the documentation before you try doing an airstart... that's why we put the "quick reference guide" at the end. :)

As usual, thanks for your continuing support!

Cris Erving, Eggtimer Rocketry

With all that testing behind you, you can move on to making that 2-stage Dude rocket.

Kenny

Anyone having issues installing this software upgrade?

I keep getting a " 'esptool.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file."

I know my Command Prompt fu is weak after so many years but running a vanilla batch file (I changed the USB Com port to match the bat, after having attempted to edit the COM port in the batch file with no success) should be fairly easy.

Yes Cris, I will be sending you a email too in a bit :)

I forgot to add esptool.exe, the uploader program, to the zip file. I just republished the download.

That fixed the issue Cris, awesome response time btw. My Quantum is now upgraded to version 1.06N.

Very cool. I'm going to have to get some builds done so I can get a 2 stage on the build table!

Probably going to need another Quantum... My soldering iron hasn't even cooled off from building a Quark... :)

Thanks! This is how I'm planning to do my MPR and HPR 2-stage projects this year.

Ok, so this isn't a dedicated firmware that turns the Quantum into an air-starting device only. It maintains all the other features so one can still use it for
a standard DD device as long as it is programmed in that mode. Kurt

Ok, so this isn't a dedicated firmware that turns the Quantum into an air-starting device only. It maintains all the other features so one can still use it for
a standard DD device as long as it is programmed in that mode. Kurt

Yes, it's amazing what you can do when you essentially have unlimited firmware storage space... 1 MB. So far I've only used up a little over 400 KB.

This is great, can't wait to try it! Any updates on the long-promised telemetry module, Cris?

The original idea for the telemetry module was that it was going to replace the RX dongle receiver but also have an input so you could also use it as a transmitter for sending arbitrary serial data to an Eggfinder receiver. It was basically going to be a simple data link. The problem is that I've gotten so many different signals on what people want to send that it would be difficult to accommodate them without some additional intelligence, so as a simple transceiver device this has been put on hold. I intend to pick it back up sometime later this year, but I have two other projects on the board ahead of it.

The original idea for the telemetry module was that it was going to replace the RX dongle receiver but also have an input so you could also use it as a transmitter for sending arbitrary serial data to an Eggfinder receiver. It was basically going to be a simple data link. The problem is that I've gotten so many different signals on what people want to send that it would be difficult to accommodate them without some additional intelligence, so as a simple transceiver device this has been put on hold. I intend to pick it back up sometime later this year, but I have two other projects on the board ahead of it.

Thanks for the update, I can see how that's tricky, any teasers on what's brewing in your lab right now with regards to these two other projects, or are these non-Eggtimer projects (like the L3 you mentioned)?

This is pretty cool. I hope to use it in the not too distant future!

Back