eggtimer Proton update

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Trying to update my proton. Everything starts to flash but at the end I get error messages

sync failed
open failed

At one point it stated flush complete, but still have to lay it down to calibrate. Any ideas?? Thanks.

What version is it reporting? My guess is that it didn't complete the flash. There are a number of things that can mess up the flash...

1) Bad connection to the three pins
2) Loose jumper on the two PGM pads (make sure it makes good contact, and leave it in during the entire programming procedure)
3) USB-Serial issues... wrong COM port, driver, etc.
4) Hardware issues, i.e. bad solder joints on the pins, WiFi module, resistors around the WiFi module

Hi Cris, the green plug on the USB wire ws broken, but I can tell the connector is in place. Used music wire for the jumper and it is spread enough to make good contact. I did have to change the port from 5 to 2, does indicate port 2 now when plugged in. espcomm sync failed and also states will not open. Like the driver is bad. but how to fix it?? I have flown it before, worked fine. Built by Eric. Have tried a different laptop. Also had my more tech savvy neighbor try to help.

Attachments

• proton fails.JPG
    proton fails.JPG
    121.1 KB · Views: 47
A pre-compiled version (for Windows) of esptool is included in the zip file. You don't need to download Python to run it. You CAN flash it from a Mac, but you do have to download Python and run a different script... there's a thread on that somewhere for the Quantum, the Proton is the same.

The recurring messages that you're getting on the flash are telling you that it's not getting sync, not that the COM port is wrong (you'd get an error right away and it wouldn't go very far if was a COM port issue). This is ususally a connection issue, either from the cable to the Proton, or possibly that the PGM jumper isn't making contact. It could also be a soldering issue too, but that's probably not the case if your Proton was working properly.

Hi Cris, made new jumper, still same. The only thing is the green wire plug had a broken plastic holder on it. But I know it is making contact as it plugs on and off hard. Do you by chance offer a service to flash them? Thanks, DAve.

Back