Eggtimer Product Availability (Yes, it's good news)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We've received a number of emails lately asking about product availability, so here's the skinny (at least for now).

Altimeters:
We have plenty of them, all models, and lots of parts to make more of them. The only exception is the Proton... the 120G accelerometer chip recently went EOL and we can't get any more, so once the 40 or so we have on hand are gone you're going to have to wait until the new version comes out with a different accelerometer chip. That will be several months, and the new one will be more expensive... the price for high-G accelerometer chips has gone way up since we first introduced the Proton. If you're looking for a Proton, buy it now.

GPS Trackers and Telemetry:
We have plenty of them for now. We are waiting for a large shipment of RF modules that is due early November, if that's delayed then we could potentially run out of kits until we get them. That's a pretty normal thing, however... we're not anticipating that it's going to be a six month wait like it was earlier this year. Note that the Eggtimer TRS is now EOL... there is a replacement for it in the wings. Stay tuned.

Switches
We have plenty of them, and all of the parts to make as many as you want.

As usual, thanks for your continuing support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Last edited:
Hey Cris.

Emailed you yesterday about another order to place.

Thanks as always!!

Does the Proton have a barometric sensor on it. I am looking for altimeters that use accelerometer to detect apogee and use the barometric sensor for the main charge.

Does the Proton have a barometric sensor on it. I am looking for altimeters that use accelerometer to detect apogee and use the barometric sensor for the main charge.
Yes, the Proton has both a baro and the accelerometer. The firmware currently does not have an option for accelerometer-detected apogee... we plan on adding that feature in a future version. For a normal stable flight, although the baro-altitude and the accelerometer-altitude may not be the same, the apogee time is usually very close.

Cris:

If you've already settled on a replacement accelerometer chip for the Proton, would you mind posting the part number? I'm wondering how the part change might affect the operation of this flight computer and would like to compare the specs against the AIS1120.

Cris:

If you've already settled on a replacement accelerometer chip for the Proton, would you mind posting the part number? I'm wondering how the part change might affect the operation of this flight computer and would like to compare the specs against the AIS1120.
I'm probably going to use an Analog Devices ADXL372. The good news is that it's +/- 200G. The bad news is that the resolution is only 0.1G... vs. +/- 120G and 0.15G for the AIS1120. It's a 3-axis part, but at that resolution the X-Y axes aren't going to be good for anything useful.

@cerving

Cris, emailed you last week about an order I want to place and resent the email this evening. Not sure if it is going to spam or not and not sure if you saw my above message.

Will the TRS replacement be compatible with the hand-held ground station? Are you expecting it to be available or accepting orders for your normal black friday sale?

Yes, the Proton has both a baro and the accelerometer. The firmware currently does not have an option for accelerometer-detected apogee... we plan on adding that feature in a future version. For a normal stable flight, although the baro-altitude and the accelerometer-altitude may not be the same, the apogee time is usually very close.
Since the proton was brought up, I've got a quick question for you.

Is it possible to have the proton ignite airstarts on first motion/first motor ignition? I've got a cluster where the outboards are not enough to lift the rocket on their own. I want to make sure the central motor is lit before the outboards light. (L850W central and 4 I357T outboards in a 30 pound rocket). I would prefer to have the outboards light as soon as possible so it clears the rail as fast as possible. I have a proton already, just haven't built it yet.

Is it possible to have the proton ignite airstarts on first motion/first motor ignition?

Have a look at pages 25-26 and 42-44 of the Proton User's Guide 1.04L.

On the Global Settings page, you can set the Accelerometer Launch Detect to the minimum settings: 3G and 0.2 sec. Note that 3G acceleration for 0.2 seconds equals less than two feet of travel distance.

Then, for each deployment channel connected to an outboard motor igniter, you can configure the channel for airstart with the following settings...

Delay: 0 sec
Velocity: OFF
Check: @Trigger
Altitude: OFF
Deviation: OFF
Pulse Width: 1 to 9 secs (depending on your motor igniter)

Disclaimer: I have two Protons that I haven't built yet either.

@cerving can you tell us anything more about the TRS replacement?

Will it be smaller than the TRS?

Will it have wifi like the Quantum?

Are there any plans for combining an Ion and a GPS in the smallest package possible?

You'll get your answers soon enough...

"Small" is a relative term. We try to make our kits as small as possible, while still making them possible for hobbyists without any special tools to assemble. That's why the smallest sized SMT parts that we use are 0805... and we use those sparingly, 1206's are our preferred size. Sure, we could shrink down some of our stuff by using 0402 parts and cramming things closer together, but it would greatly diminish the chances of successfully assembling them.

Back