Eggtimer Mini Repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joharvey1

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a faulty GPS Eggfinder mini tracker, and need someone who is good with those chips to advise and/or possibly repair the chip for me. I am not that handy with electronics, and I have no soldering experience.

I think the issue with the tracker has something to do with extra solder on a connection or a faulty component along the same lines, if that helps.

What happens is that the working tracker pairs on frequency 915 for a few seconds, then loses connection shortly thereafter. The chip appears to be instantly draining lipos, no matter how many times I replace them. Tests were run on the handheld, and I believe it was determined to be operational.

I'd be willing to reimburse someone for their trouble in the repair. Or, if the chip is beyond repair, to have them possibly build me a new tracker of the same or similar type that can be used without a smart phone, and with my current working LCD handheld receiver.

Thanks!

Last edited:
I would suggest reaching out to Cris again. I has helped me out when needed. He is also active on this forum.

I may have to do that. I didn't buy the chip directly from him, I bought it here preassembled as a whole set with the handheld. I can ask him again. If I remember right, it was he who originally suggested the extra solder as a potential problem.

Hi all,

I have a faulty GPS Eggfinder mini tracker, and need someone who is good with those chips to advise and/or possibly repair the chip for me. I am not that handy with electronics, and I have no soldering experience.

I think the issue with the tracker has something to do with extra solder on a connection or a faulty component along the same lines, if that helps.

What happens is that the working tracker pairs on frequency 915 for a few seconds, then loses connection shortly thereafter. The chip appears to be instantly draining lipos, no matter how many times I replace them. Tests were run on the handheld, and I believe it was determined to be operational.

I'd be willing to reimburse someone for their trouble in the repair. Or, if the chip is beyond repair, to have them possibly build me a new tracker of the same or similar type that can be used without a smart phone, and with my current working LCD handheld receiver.

Thanks!
If you could post some well focused images of the Mini you could benefit from the combined wisdom and eagle eyes of the members.

I sent my GPS locators and handheld off in the mail to someone to have them look at it, but here are some photos to get you all started. I am separating these photos from a second set of photos because i have two Eggfinder minis. These photos reference the handheld and the primary Eggfinder mini locator 1. I realize that some of the cables may have become plugged in backwards when various individuals including myself have looked at this handheld. I should then note for the record that once, many moons ago, I cleared a correct cable orientation with Cris at Eggtimer. I have since lost this orientation map. Regardless, the GPS locators were still was having the power draining issue after a correct cable orientation was apllied in the past. If you would like to comment on the correct orientation of the cable connectors when plugged into the chips and board, fill free--I would appreciate it. Thanks for any other advice or problems with the chips you may spot.

Attachments

• DSCF4190.JPG
    DSCF4190.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF4193.JPG
    DSCF4193.JPG
    184.2 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4195.JPG
    DSCF4195.JPG
    167.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4199-2.jpg
    DSCF4199-2.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4202.JPG
    DSCF4202.JPG
    131.1 KB · Views: 21
  • DSCF4203.JPG
    DSCF4203.JPG
    183.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF4205.JPG
    DSCF4205.JPG
    118.6 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4208.JPG
    DSCF4208.JPG
    164.3 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCF4215.JPG
    DSCF4215.JPG
    160.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF4217.JPG
    DSCF4217.JPG
    171.5 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Here is another photo that belonds in the group above for the GPS Eggfinder locator 1. I could only post 10 photos at a time.

Attachments

• DSCF4221.JPG
    DSCF4221.JPG
    163.4 KB · Views: 10
Here are the photos for GPS locator 2. As well as a few extra miscellaneous lipo and charger photos. Locator 2 is the one that never really seemed to connect well to the receiver and seems to overheat when plugged into a lipo.

Attachments

• DSCF4226.JPG
    DSCF4226.JPG
    168 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4228.JPG
    DSCF4228.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4234.JPG
    DSCF4234.JPG
    151.6 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4236.JPG
    DSCF4236.JPG
    207.9 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF4241.JPG
    DSCF4241.JPG
    109 KB · Views: 11
Here are the photos for GPS locator 2. As well as a few extra miscellaneous lipo and charger photos. Locator 2 is the one that never really seemed to connect well to the receiver and seems to overheat when plugged into a lipo.

When you plugged Locator 2 in to a battery, did you get LEDs to power on?

I have one I bought last year that gets hot as well, no LEDs. Wondering if this is a bad component if we are having similar issues.

A hot regulator means that you have a short somewhere, and it's drawing way more current than it should. Typically with the RF products, it's easy to get a solder bridge underneath and between the pads on the RF module if you oversolder them. You do NOT need to get solder inside those holes on the RF module... it just needs to get on the PC board pads, and inside the "half moon" pads on the module.

I have one I bought last year that gets hot as well, no LEDs. Wondering if this is a bad component if we are having similar issues.

I'll have to get back to you on that. I don't recall offhand. The devices are currently en route to a rocketry forum member who is going to take a look at them. When they arrive at their destination, I may have more information to provide.

I asked my repair person and they said the LED was not lit with battery plugged in.

Latest posts

Back