Eggtimer LCD Receiver not working

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon0819

Reaction score
Hello, this is the first time I'm posting on this forum and the reason is, our Eggtimer LCD Receiver is not working. It does not even turn on though we connect it to the battery, or press the button 5 times per sec.

Below are the images of the receiver components. It would be grateful if you could have a look at them and tell me what's the problem, and could it be solved by not buying a new one.

I am not an engineering expert, and all other engineering guys in our team has dipped so I'm asking here. Even if you have brief idea, please tell me. Thanks.
20230607_153722.jpg

Attachments

• 20230607_153747.jpg
    20230607_153747.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I did a quick look over and i see a few connections that need attention.

Top.jpg

#1: Looks like a serious solder bridge between the pins.
#2: Missing components?

Bottom.jpg

#3 & #4: These connections are really bad and all the pins in-between look like they should be reflowed. I would recommend adding extra flux paste before reflow.
#5: Also requires reflow with flux paste.
#6: Needs higher tip temps, a good amount of flux paste for added working time and more solder.

#1: Looks like a serious solder bridge between the pins. That is the 3.3v voltage regulator and it looks like that pin is cracked? The pin is defiantly supposed to be one large pin not two.
#2: Missing components? That is normal on EggFinder Hope RF modules.

Could we get a better photo of that 3.3V regulator as that pin is not supposed to be split.

Does it beep when you turn it on? If it does, have you tried adjusting the CONTRAST? Do you have a switch or a jumper on the SWITCH pads? (It won't turn on if you do not).

Your soldering is marginal, too. You may have some issues due to that...
Ok, so this is the full view of the components that I have. The switch is the one connected in purple cable. Is this the appropriate switch?

#1: Looks like a serious solder bridge between the pins. That is the 3.3v voltage regulator and it looks like that pin is cracked? The pin is defiantly supposed to be one large pin not two.
#2: Missing components? That is normal on EggFinder Hope RF modules.

Could we get a better photo of that 3.3V regulator as that pin is not supposed to be split.
Hi this is the picture I think which is most clear.

Attachments

• 20230607_153901.jpg
    20230607_153901.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I did a quick look over and i see a few connections that need attention.

View attachment 584983

#1: Looks like a serious solder bridge between the pins.
#2: Missing components?

View attachment 584985

#3 & #4: These connections are really bad and all the pins in-between look like they should be reflowed. I would recommend adding extra flux paste before reflow.
#5: Also requires reflow with flux paste.
#6: Needs higher tip temps, a good amount of flux paste for added working time and more solder.
Thanks for elaborating them out. So basically #1 is too much soldered, and the rest are where it needs further soldering?

Thanks for elaborating them out. So basically #1 is too much soldered, and the rest are where it needs further soldering?
@dragon0819:
Be sure to pay particular attention to the replies from @cerving . He is Cris Erving, owner of Eggfinder. He designed the board you are attempting to troubleshoot.
He has commented twice that you do not have a switch connected to the switch terminals next to the battery terminals. The marking on the printed circuit board says “SWITCH”. That is where the power switch must be connected. That’s not the same as the push button that you have connected.

DO NOT touch the solder joints on the RF module!

DO touch up the solder joint on the large pads on the regulators.

And of course, you need a power switch too.
Hello Cris, ignore my last reply! I didn't know the difference btw the SWITCH and push button.
And we found the component that looks like switch, but since engineering students are all out, we are facing a problem assembling those parts.

Would you mind providing simple steps or guide on how to assemble it??
Thanks

Step-by-step directions with pictures are in the Assembly Guide, located at

http://eggtimerrocketry.com/eggfinder-lcd-receiver-support/
Be sure to use the instructions for the board version that you have (marked on the board). PLEASE read through the documentation first before attempting to assemble or use it... you will save yourself a lot of time and possibly avert serious mistakes.

Step-by-step directions with pictures are in the Assembly Guide, located at

http://eggtimerrocketry.com/eggfinder-lcd-receiver-support/
Be sure to use the instructions for the board version that you have (marked on the board). PLEASE read through the documentation first before attempting to assemble or use it... you will save yourself a lot of time and possibly avert serious mistakes.
Thank you so much, for both guide and advice!

DO NOT touch the solder joints on the RF module!

DO touch up the solder joint on the large pads on the regulators.

And of course, you need a power switch too.
ooops, That's what I get for rushing... Sorry about that.

Latest posts

Back