Eggtimer Labor Day Sale

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cerving

Owner, Eggtimer Rocketry
TRF Sponsor
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
[Edit...]I'm giving the sale an extra day for those of you who were at Airfest and didn't have a chance to see this... it ends TUESDAY, Sept. 5th.

In honor of the Labor Day weekend, the start of the unofficial Fall flying season, we're having a sale. It lasts from now until the end of the day on Monday, Sept. 4th.

o Eggtimer Classic altimeter, reg. $35, sale price $30
o Eggtimer Quantum altimeter, reg. $40, sale price $30
o Eggtimer Quark altimeter, reg. $20, sale price $16
o Eggtimer WiFi Switch, reg. $20, sale price $16
o Eggfinder TX GPS transmitter, reg. $70, sale price $55
o Eggfinder Mini GPS transmitter, reg. $75, sale price $60
o Eggtimer TRS GPS transmitter/altimeter, reg. $90, sale price $75

Plus, take $5 off when you purchase any GPS transmitter with the LCD receiver (at $55 reg price).

We have a decent amount of stock and/or parts on just about everything. As usual, thanks for your support!

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Last edited:
Cap'n, the wallet is taking direct hits and the shields canna hold up much longer...

:y:

It's not a question of if I'm going to buy something from Cris, it's how much am I going to buy? :)

Thanks for the well-timed sale! Just as I'm starting to gather parts for my first 2-stage build.

cheers - mark

Awesome timing. I already had your site pulled up when I saw this thread. There goes my motor money. LOL

My experience has so far been the Quark and Eggtimer. How difficult is the Eggfinder and Eggfinder mini compared to the Quark?

Last edited:
Awesome timing. I already had your site pulled up when I saw this thread. There goes my motor money. LOL

My experience has so far been the Quark and Eggtimer. How difficult is the Eggfinder and Eggfinder mini compared to the Quark?

IMO, if you can build a Quark, you can build any of them. The Eggfinder Mini was similar in difficulty to the Quark, with the exception of the GPS module being a little weird to put on.

Thanks Travis,
Probably going to get the larger one. If I can handle it and need a smaller one, I can always get a smaller one later on. I like the idea of the data logger and being able replace the antenna easily. I am rough on antennas, have been since I was a child destroying the TV's "rabbit ears". LOL

I sent my email in yesterday afternoon but no response yet. Will touch base with Chris when I get home, he's likely busy but I think I may go to his SPAM folder, this is the second email in the last few weeks with no response.

I sent my email in yesterday afternoon but no response yet. Will touch base with Chris when I get home, he's likely busy but I think I may go to his SPAM folder, this is the second email in the last few weeks with no response.

Check your PayPal account and/or your Spam folder... I see that the invoice was sent to you yesterday.

I'm putting my mini at major risk tomorrow, so I may need to get in on this sale.

Does anyone have videos of the Eggfinder Tx and LCD Rx being used? Just wondering if it is any easier than just throwing the coordinates into Google Maps...

Disregard... I reread the description and apparently I thought it worked differently.

Does anyone have videos of the Eggfinder Tx and LCD Rx being used? Just wondering if it is any easier than just throwing the coordinates into Google Maps...

Disregard... I reread the description and apparently I thought it worked differently.

I think most folks stick the last known position coordinates into some sort of mapping GPS or app and navigate to the spot. The Android program "GPS Rocket Locator" does some live tracking and shows a continuous datum line to the last known position.
One can save the recovered positions to a file if they want to but it's up to them to manipulate the data.

I found a patch antenna leads to better recovery of more positions but the best strategy for the EggFinders is to blow the main as high as you comfortably can because with the slower descent your recovery of positions in real time improves immensely.
The other variable is how far you expect your rocket is going to drift. If the flight is expected to remain nearby, the stock antenna is likely to be enough to give you enough positions to get you either to the rocket or within the ground footprint of the
tracker.

A nice test of an installation is to put the tracker installation up on a ladder or roof with the antenna of the tracker in the position you expect it to be in when under main chute descent. A constant straight "up or down" antenna position of the tracker improves one's reception of positions. A tumbling rocket under drogue you are not going to see 1/sec recovery of positions period.

Walk away and see what kind of range you get. Now lay the tracker installation on the ground and walk away. See what the ground footprint of the tracker is. You only need to get within the ground footprint to affect a recovery if you don't already see the rocket at the last known position. If your rocket lands in a depression on the ground, the ground footprint can be markedly less than a level surface. If you can fit a "screamer" or beeper on the harness that can really help. Sheesh, I picked up a 140dB siren that can fit in a 2.75" rocket easily and might not need an Rf tracker with that thing blasting after an apogee event!

The only exception to the ground footprint rule is out on the playa the salts on the surface suck up Rf like a sponge. It acts as an attenuator. Your range with the rocket in the air is just as good as it is anywhere but once on the ground the ground footprint is zilch. Folks who RDF track out there are at risk of losing rockets whereas GPS trackers get them very close to the last known position or touchdown without having to hold a bearing.

Bottom line is if a neophyte wants to use a live map, familiarize/practice themselves with "GPS Rocket Locator" or get adept at inputting data into a GPS navigating app. Me? I like automatic tracking. Lazy old stiff style. Kurt

Addendum with link to "GPS Rocket Locator" tips: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?141742-GPS-Rocket-Locator-program-Tips

The basic information in that post is still good except where I say it no longer works with a photo map tile set. The original author rewrote that program and last time I checked a few weeks ago it was using photo map tiles again.
The program can cache maps to memory for use at the field without an internet access though if one's phone can do tethering, they can tether say a Wifi only device to their phone. A used Nexus 7 2013 or even a 2012 Wifi only devices can work
in that capacity. Their used prices are dropping and 32Gb memory is pretty good for map storage. The adventurous can easily "root" the devices by script instead of using Chinese "spyware" if they desire. Cripes I even have the
latest custom AOS 7.1.2 Nougat kernel running on the 2012 solidly. The 2013 it's best to stick with the stock kernel.

Last edited:

That's a "on my list" item... I'd like to put build videos out on the website too. Maybe I'll find time to do it...

There's a new software build coming for the LCD receiver, along with a new accessory that will make retrieving your rocket really easy, with no other devices required.

There's a new software build coming for the LCD receiver, along with a new accessory that will make retrieving your rocket really easy, with no other devices required.
It smells like somebody's adding a GPS to the LCD receiver. :)

This I gotta see. There t'ain't much room in a BlackAero aftermarket case: https://www.blackaero.com/shop-2/eggfinder-lcd-case but I s'pose the stock LCD case is amenable to additions.
With "no other devices required" me thinks it's a local GPS chipset with a compass rose and arrow pointing the way. If true, it's a nice addition. Although, for longer range tracking it's sometimes nice to see one can drive onroad to a place where they can stop and take a short walk to effect a recovery as opposed to going "through" obstacles. :wink: Kurt

That's a "on my list" item... I'd like to put build videos out on the website too. Maybe I'll find time to do it...

IF you do at least get TFish quaility ..not fancy but very watchable and informative.

Had discussed this with WarnerR as your threads get so many views on TRF - he suggested concentrate on Microphone first , and lighting - then the camera .

Simple editing can make a tight video - in example : Aerotechs Crossload video vs a standard Apogee 'series' to do anything .. I rate the AT much more watchable

Kenny

Wow, thank you for the information! More options to investigate (bought a few Quarks for now).

Oh, if only I had the extra cash to pick up a Eggfinder mini. Oh well..:eyeroll:
Thanks,

I'm giving the sale an extra day for those of you who were at Airfest and didn't have a chance to see this... it ends TUESDAY, Sept. 5th.

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

Cris, thanks for extending sale...got a mini ordered.

Also, for anyone on the fence, I sent an EFmini to over 16k this weekend, and a full sized to over 18k with no (not mach relate) loss of communication. Walked right up to both rockets afterwards.

I'm sure others have gone (much) higher with these, but I continue to be impressed by the ceiling I can't seem to reach.

The sale is now officially over. Thanks to everyone who ordered something, we sold a lot more Eggfinder transmitters than I had anticipated so we ran out of stock. Your order will ship as soon as I get the parts (they're on the way, should be this weekend).

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

The sale is now officially over. Thanks to everyone who ordered something, we sold a lot more Eggfinder transmitters than I had anticipated so we ran out of stock. Your order will ship as soon as I get the parts (they're on the way, should be this weekend).

Cris Erving
Eggtimer Rocketry

I think Chris' sleds for these sold a lot of units. Sold me on a full mini kit from him, and the mini from you. I've been super impressed with all of your stuff. I believe I have 3 Eggtimers, one TRS (that I think I broke something on during a hard landing :facepalm:), 3 wifi switches (cooked one not paying attention to polarity :facepalm::facepalm:) and now a Mini with badass sled.

I think Chris' sleds for these sold a lot of units. Sold me on a full mini kit from him, and the mini from you. I've been super impressed with all of your stuff. I believe I have 3 Eggtimers, one TRS (that I think I broke something on during a hard landing :facepalm:), 3 wifi switches (cooked one not paying attention to polarity :facepalm::facepalm:) and now a Mini with badass sled.

There was definitely a noticeable uptick in sales. :) Some of what I sold got routed right to Cris as an order of my own. Gonna start putting together the switch tonight I think.

Last edited:
Having very little solder skills IDK what I was thinking ordering the Quantum, but I just finished it and to my amazement it works perfectly on the first try!
Thank you for having such good instruction and guiding us threw it cause it really was fun to do and look forward to building another Eggtimer in future.

Back