EggTimer Build Series

4regt4

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This comment isn't directed at the circuit boards supplied by Eggtimer, but rather a comment in general.

In my youth, I did a lot of electrical experimenting and kit building. Occasionally, I'd get an issue with the solder not "sticking" or spreading to make a nice joint. The problem always ended up being some slight surface corrosion on the circuit board, or sometimes the part itself. Usually a light touch with a pencil eraser did the trick.

Hans.

Voyager1

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This comment isn't directed at the circuit boards supplied by Eggtimer, but rather a comment in general.

In my youth, I did a lot of electrical experimenting and kit building. Occasionally, I'd get an issue with the solder not "sticking" or spreading to make a nice joint. The problem always ended up being some slight surface corrosion on the circuit board, or sometimes the part itself. Usually a light touch with a pencil eraser did the trick.

Hans.
I would sometimes use a synthetic Scotch Brite pad to gently remove any surface corrosion or dulling of the solder areas prior to assembly. It leaves the pads nice and shiny. Clean with warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, then IPA.

rlboothbna

Reaction score
Whichever method you choose, before your first "real" kit, practice. There are inexpensive SMT soldering practice/training kits available from Amazon, Walmart, Jameco... Gikfun is the brand I have.

ps: If this is redundant I apologize.

JBoyson

Inverted Pursuits Lab
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
Starting to add chapters to these videos so you can jump to specific steps. Not all have it yet, but soon will.