EggTimer Build Series

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This comment isn't directed at the circuit boards supplied by Eggtimer, but rather a comment in general.

In my youth, I did a lot of electrical experimenting and kit building. Occasionally, I'd get an issue with the solder not "sticking" or spreading to make a nice joint. The problem always ended up being some slight surface corrosion on the circuit board, or sometimes the part itself. Usually a light touch with a pencil eraser did the trick.

Hans.

This comment isn't directed at the circuit boards supplied by Eggtimer, but rather a comment in general.

In my youth, I did a lot of electrical experimenting and kit building. Occasionally, I'd get an issue with the solder not "sticking" or spreading to make a nice joint. The problem always ended up being some slight surface corrosion on the circuit board, or sometimes the part itself. Usually a light touch with a pencil eraser did the trick.

Hans.
I would sometimes use a synthetic Scotch Brite pad to gently remove any surface corrosion or dulling of the solder areas prior to assembly. It leaves the pads nice and shiny. Clean with warm soapy water, rinse thoroughly, then IPA.

Whichever method you choose, before your first "real" kit, practice. There are inexpensive SMT soldering practice/training kits available from Amazon, Walmart, Jameco... Gikfun is the brand I have.

ps: If this is redundant I apologize.

I guess this would be a good place to ask questions about the eggtimer products, but anyways here we go:
If i use an Eggfinder GPS tracker with the LCD reciever, can I use the telemetry module with a flight computer in conjunction with the GPS tracker on the same LCD reciever?

I guess this would be a good place to ask questions about the eggtimer products, but anyways here we go:
If i use an Eggfinder GPS tracker with the LCD reciever, can I use the telemetry module with a flight computer in conjunction with the GPS tracker on the same LCD reciever?
GPS data and altimeter telemetry are two completely different transmissions, so you need to have them on separate frequencies with separate LCD receivers (each set to one of the transmitters). The Eggtimer Quasar GPS/Altimeter combo sends out both data streams in a special format that the LCD receiver can decode, so if you're using a Quasar you'll get both the GPS data and "some" of the altimeter data (specifically, real-time altitude, deployment channel status, and apogee). We have plans on expanding the Quasar/LCD interface to include more altimeter-related data... hopefully later this year.

Just finished up the EggTimer WIFI Switch and I'm definetly going to have fun using this in projects.
I'm even considering just buiding a continuity tester out of it since it has that capability, but I havent figured out how I'd want it to work just yet.

Great videos but for the life of me I cannot see a "notch" on either of the VN5E160S drivers. Any tips?

The Pin 1 side is the side with the bevel. Pin 1 is also marked with the reverse “ST” logo… it’s the lower-left pin if you hold the chip so that the writing is rightside-up.

The pictures in the assembly guide clearly show the markings on the chip, so if you “go by the book” you should be fine.

Are both the VN5E160S drivers identical? I see no difference between them.

Are both the VN5E160S drivers identical? I see no difference between them.
Yes... they come on a tape together (two for the Quantum and Quark, three for the Quasar, and six for the Proton when it gets re-released).

LOL. I get it now. All this time I was overthinking this. Thanks again.

EggTimer Proton Build Guide now live!
Check it out if you want to see how EggTimers newest and most difficult build goes.

Back