Eggtimer alternate?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AcidPaintball

Reaction score
I am looking for another alternative to Eggtimer. I have a number of rockets needing a flight computer, so bring ideas! I do enjoy kits like the eggtimer (just not eggtimer company) or fully built off the self item would be fine too.

Thanks

Size? Raven III, Marsa 54 are two that come to mind off the bat. If you want a full-featured flight computer you will have to pay 4 times as much (or more) than one EggTimer. Granted, the ET might be too large for small
installations. If the ET fits and you don't want to spend the $$$$, you might want to take the time to learn it. You have a beef with Cris Cerving? "Just not eggtimer company" line perhaps I am misconstruing a negative meaning
there? Kurt

Beef. Yeah you can say that. Missing parts, allegedly shipped (never received), offered to purchase the missing parts with shipping, and emails gone ignored. I just don't want to use the eggtimer in any build and thinking about giving it to someone or just trashing it.

But, sadly, the ET was perfect size for my needs in all the dual deployment rockets.

So the same size or smaller would be great.

Cris has an outstanding reputation as a vendor, and your experience seems to be the exception. He frequents TRF. Have you tried a PM?

Beef. Yeah you can say that. Missing parts, allegedly shipped (never received), offered to purchase the missing parts with shipping, and emails gone ignored. I just don't want to use the eggtimer in any build and thinking about giving it to someone or just trashing it.

But, sadly, the ET was perfect size for my needs in all the dual deployment rockets.

This sounds like a bad miscommunication. I ordered a WiFi Switch and it arrived very quickly with good email communications.

Steve Shannon

Cris has an outstanding reputation as a vendor, and your experience seems to be the exception. He frequents TRF. Have you tried a PM?

+1.

Cris has responded to any issues I've had, whether it was a general build question or problem. Responses were prompt and timely. I recently had a defective component. After going through troubleshooting with Cris he sent a new unit. In another instance, he sent replacement parts, unsolicited, because he discovered an issue with certain kits.

Do as you will but I would suggest working it out because you won't find a better product or vendor.

Last edited:

+2 I've never had anything but fast responses and the benefit of the doubt, even when problems were almost certainly my fault.

+3
He has responded to emails within hours, even late at night. Might consider a chat with him to make it right.

Just looking for a flight recorder? The Jolly Logic AltimeterThree is pretty nifty, $100 - works out of the box.

+4, Eggy Cris is good even for the weird requests. I had a 3-vendor arrangement he helped me out with; he also cut me a break on a missed sale window. There was one other interaction we had regarding his website, and in all three cases it was excellent.

I wouldn't want to try and change anybody's mind, just putting my 3-for-3 out there. Heck, he'll probably even forgive me for calling him Eggy Cris.... :-D

Always had good luck with Eggtimer myself but if you are looking for an alternative:
Maybe the RRC3 from missileworks will fit the bill. About the same size and can do airstarts as well. Jim has awesome customer service as well. You can get an LCD and USB adapter for and download data to computer and graph you flight profile.

Mikey D.

So your ET remains unbuilt or is it built and not working? I too have never had a problem. I've dorked kits like dropping a working unit on the floor. My fault of course so I didn't whine. Had an early Rf remote switch receiver go bad after an ematch
testing session (technically not what it is for but should be ok. I used my backup unit and it tests matches/charges just fine) Cris sent me a new voltage regulator and same problem. Put it in junk box and didn't whine about it. That kit was so cheap
I can suck up the loss. I whacked a Quantum as the voltage regulator got fireball hot when turned on. I probably got solder under the WiFi chip. I don't know but everything else looks good. It ended up in the junk box and I didn't whine about it.
Build a total of 4 Quantums and they all work. Stuff happens with kits sometimes and since they are not that pricey it's easier to swallow. Mess up a $500.00 Ham radio amplifier kit and that is something to cry about.

If it's just parts you need, try and get a hold of him again. He does have a day job you know and the kits are not his life. Kurt

+5 great service from Chris I have done several orders 6+ , and received replacement parts right away I have let smoke out of a couple chips learning

other options I have a couple RRC2 I like the size of and ease of use.

If it's just parts you need, try and get a hold of him again. He does have a day job you know and the kits are not his life. Kurt

I am also fully aware that rocketry and these kits are not his life and most have a day job... it is the norm for vendors in this hobby. I am not crying about this at all, as you stated it is only $35 dollars. I get he has helped many people with the kits and more. Heck he even reached out to me when I first ordered the device back in 2015 about the usb cable that I should have ordered to hook up the device to pc. I also never meant for this thread as an attack on him or his business.. I get that things happen and some of my frustration might have came out in post 2 from me, which I should have refrained from answering the beef question. I was just really hoping that this would have originally worked out, due to I wanted to order more kits. But now here we are, I counted my loss which I am just looking for something that is similar is size and function.

Mikey, thanks for the tip. I forgot about those!

Again, sorry to everyone. Never meant for this to be a flame thread.

I am also fully aware that rocketry and these kits are not his life and most have a day job... it is the norm for vendors in this hobby. I am not crying about this at all, as you stated it is only $35 dollars. I get he has helped many people with the kits and more. Heck he even reached out to me when I first ordered the device back in 2015 about the usb cable that I should have ordered to hook up the device to pc. I also never meant for this thread as an attack on him or his business.. I get that things happen and some of my frustration might have came out in post 2 from me, which I should have refrained from answering the beef question. I was just really hoping that this would have originally worked out, due to I wanted to order more kits. But now here we are, I counted my loss which I am just looking for something that is similar is size and function.

Mikey, thanks for the tip. I forgot about those!

Again, sorry to everyone. Never meant for this to be a flame thread.

Heck no. Don't apologize. You had an issue and nobody's flaming anybody here. You had an unfortunate experience and no one (meaning Cerving) is perfect. I didn't see any cuss words or threats in this thread and you reported what happened.
I think it was clear you weren't attacking anyone by everyone's responses. No one expressed spite.

Folks came back with positives and I don't see negatives so far. That so far suggests your experience occurs less often. I know, that doesn't help you from what happened.

Anyhow, if you just want a time vs. altitude plot there are a variety of devices out there that can do that with downloadable data economically. If you want G's, temperatures a running commentary of the status of ematches, airstarts etc. the pricier devices will do all that. The EggTimer has a rough but workable interface, doesn't give pretty graphs and an outboard board needs to be had if one wants to try crude staging or air-starting.

Is your EggTimer incomplete due to lack of parts or did it fail after the construction was completed?

I will tell you, I've really fried some of the components building these kits and sometimes I'm amazed that they worked the first time and remain stable. Outside of my stupid errors I recount above. Nothing hurts more than to
have a perfectly good Egg Finder that is happily transmitting positions when it's just 30 minutes old after building, fall off the window sill and the GPS antenna snaps off the base!! Now that hurt! Kurt

I know, that doesn't help you from what happened.

Is your EggTimer incomplete due to lack of parts or did it fail after the construction was completed?

So what exactly is wrong? There have been a couple others that have posted pictures and discussion of build issues. Several members (including Cris) were able to spot issues or provide suggestions and the units were brought to life. Maybe we could help you too.

I could jump on the Egg greatness too, but that was not your question! There is a great comparison guide in this thread: https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=121323

To only other "kit" I know of are the Bear Altimeters. He's out of France and the designs generally use larger components, but the price was right when I bought 2 kits a few years back.

Off the self, I also purchased a Stratologger SL. Small size and nice recording of flight data. Now they offer a smaller CF.

Lastly, I've been eying a Feather weight Raven due to having acquired a kit built for it, but the $155 price tag keeps stopping me...the features look great and it include acceleration.

Hope that helps with your real ask of the thread.

Jack

Acid,

I'd love to have the Eggtimer if you want to give it to someone........seriously.

The OP was just searching for alternatives to Eggtimer products. Most responses hasn't offered any suggestions, only sharing the good experiences they had. Come on folks. He had a bad experience and it left a bad taste in his mouth. I am sure we all can relate. I personally have reached out on a few occasions to a very popular vendor here on TRF and each time was extremely disappointed. I sought alternatives and found them. It is unlikely I will ever contact that super duper vendor again. Even when I need his services for Level 3, I will look elsewhere. But that is neither here nor there.

To the OP:
If you just want a flight logger, yes I agree that Jolly Logic has that covered.

A dual deployment device that beeps out altitude, Adept22 or RRC2+ will work for little cash. I have both, no experience with Adept's customer service but they claim to have invented dual deploy and my Adept22 saved my level 1 flight when my RRC2+ got damaged. Jim at Missileworks hooked me up on the repair though. I received another RRC2+ for Christmas.

A dual deployment device that can export graphs to your computer and beep out altitude: check out Stratologger CF. It's tiny.

Or like I said earlier, the RRC3+ does all the above plus airstarts. I have one but haven't even taken it out of the baggy. I have looked through the manual but don't know how easy it is to program.

If you don't need airstarts or fancy graphs and are only concerned with dual deploy, the RRC2+ is small, cheap and easy. If the Eggtimer fit, the RRC2+ will have room to spare. Will save quite a bit over it's big brother. Pick up some screw switches, mounting hardware and maybe one of Jims modular sleds while your at Missleworks.

As for the Eggtimer...I ordered from Chris a few times. The first was a Quark and I was a little upset because it had parts missing. But it was no big thing, I emailed him and he had the new parts to me rather quickly. I fried that one. I have since ordered again, a Quark and Eggtimer. Assembled the Eggtimer and it tests good. Got it for airstarts, only to find out I needed the aux board. So emailed Chris about getting one and he gave me a discount on shipping since that was the only thing I ordered and my dummy self didn't know I needed such a thing. Eggtimer can export to Excel and get you a graph.

For your viewing pleasure:

View attachment 310708
Top to bottom:
RRC2+
RRC3 (okay so now I have taken it out of the baggy)
Eggtimer with AUX board
Adept22

Mikey D

Last edited:
I am not sure you READ the OP post.

Let me refresh your memory. The OP said:

I do enjoy kits like the eggtimer (just not eggtimer company) etc...

You did read that? Correct? Did you?

I am simply saying there is nothing wrong with the "company" IMO.
Which is TOTALLY relevant given the OP's post.

Last edited:
Wow. Just wow. A little butt hurt are we? Apparently I stepped on your toes somehow. That's funny. Truly it is. Maybe you thought I was bad-mouthing Eggtimer or Chris. That is not the case. If you would have read my post in it's entirety, you would have seen where I said I have Eggtimer stuff. Or my first post where I said I have had good luck with Eggtimer. I even set mine out for size comparisons. Did you see that? Did you? That was me trying to help. Offering useful information.

You didn't say anything about the company.

Yeah Chris is awesome!!!

You did post that? Right? Yes? Did you? Huh?

Where in that sentence, that clearly took a lot of thought I might add, did you even mention the company? He didn't ask if you thought there was anything wrong with the company. He asked for ideas for a replacement unit. In no way have either of your posts contributed anything meaningiful to this thread.

I fail to see how your post is RELEVANT to this: "I am looking for another alternative to Eggtimer. I have a number of rockets needing a flight computer, so bring ideas! ...fully built off the self item .... "
See I can take stuff out of context too.

You must have posted your response while I was preparing mine. It took time to get my altimeters out, take the picture, transfer to computer and what not. Some of us actually try to help others here and not just make IRRELEVANT posts then try to insult those of us actually trying to help.

But congratulations. You have compelled me to stoop to your level and make some off the wall, off topic post that contributes nothing to this thread. My apologies to the OP and fellow TRFers, I am usually very civil.

Irrelevant posts:
Jeff 2
Mikey D 1

Mikey D

Everbody needs to go and read post 13 of this thread, the OP more clearly stated his position, and that he did not mean it to be an attack on Eggtimer or Cris.

An incredible altimeter comparison site can be found here: https://rocketsetc.com/altimeter-comparison/

That should give you all the technical specs you could ever need in an easy to compare table. The rest comes down to personal choice and personal experiences with the system. I have a Perfectflight StratologgerCF that I'm happy with. It's almost exactly the same size as the Eggtimer Quantum. Doesn't have the same amount of flight data recorded, though.

Last edited:
Nag, nag, nag! LOL! FWIW-there is flight testing going on for new products this weekend-stay tuned to Eggtimer!

Perhaps a smaller tracker or some other remotely operated flight computer I suspect. I will admit Cris has confided to me in emails about upcoming stuff when I had questions but I kept my mouth shut until he
did the announcement. Don't know about this one (as I haven't had any questions lately) Will be anticipating especially if it's a smaller or a higher powered Rf GPS tracker. Kurt

Last edited:
Back