EggFinder Sleds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobor

Get your peanuts....
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
In the past I have made my own plywood sleds, but for my LOC Goblin I want to try a 3D printed sled. The issue I have run into is that no one seems to make an EggFinder sled that will easily accept a 1000mAh LiPo pack.

I even tried contacting one maker of sleds, about modding one of their stock sleds or getting a quote on a custom print. Sad to say I never got a response back.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I need the same. I've made my own on plywood but would like a 3d printed one with support for a 2S 1000mAh lipo too. If you find one, share the info.

SMT Designs, Steve Thatcher has some great systems.
I had looked at SMT's site and I like the modular design but that system does not seem to allow for a single mount/attachment point solution.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I intend to install the sled in the NC via a removable bulk plate.

I had looked at SMT's site and I like the modular design but that system does not seem to allow for a single mount/attachment point solution.

I should have mentioned in my first post that I intend to install the sled in the NC via a removable bulk plate.
Talk with Steve, he designed a 38mm nosecone sled for a EggFinder Mini for me with a 1000mah 2s LiPo, and it probably would'nt be hard to come up with something for your application. Most nosecone bays are custom jobs with the exception of a very few designs. I know Steve has at least one sled that mounts using a Aeropack motor retainer on the nosecone bulkhead.

Lab Rat Rocketry. Those sled fit in 38mm and 54mm nose cones with supplied bulkhead. Or the sled can be mounted to your own bulkhead for larger diameter nose cones.

Talk with Steve, he designed a 38mm nosecone sled for a EggFinder Mini for me with a 1000mah 2s LiPo, and it probably would'nt be hard to come up with something for your application. Most nosecone bays are custom jobs with the exception of a very few designs. I know Steve has at least one sled that mounts using a Aeropack motor retainer on the nosecone bulkhead.
Okay, I will give Steve a shout. And thx for the suggestion.
Lab Rat Rocketry. Those sled fit in 38mm and 54mm nose cones with supplied bulkhead. Or the sled can be mounted to your own bulkhead for larger diameter nose cones.
Yeah, I like design of his EggFinder sled. Unfortunately it will not accommodate a Turnigy 1000 mAh 2S pack.

Yeah, I like design of his EggFinder sled. Unfortunately it will not accommodate a Turnigy 1000 mAh 2S pack.

Unfortunately, it isn't even going to be close. Out of curiosity, how long would a 1000 mAh battery power an EggFinder? I've never gotten near discharging a 300 mAh, but I haven't tried to see how long it would go either.

Unfortunately, it isn't even going to be close. Out of curiosity, how long would a 1000 mAh battery power an EggFinder? I've never gotten near discharging a 300 mAh, but I haven't tried to see how long it would go either.

Twice I have forgotten to unplug the EggFinder from the Turnigy pack. 1st time took me a few days to realize the fact. I had to kickstart the pack to get the iMax charger to accept it.
2nd time I left it running for about 26~30 hours IIRC. The EggFinder was not transmitting but the power LED was still lit, although it was noticeably dim.

Twice I have forgotten to unplug the EggFinder from the Turnigy pack. 1st time took me a few days to realize the fact. I had to kickstart the pack to get the iMax charger to accept it.
2nd time I left it running for about 26~30 hours IIRC. The EggFinder was not transmitting but the power LED was still lit, although it was noticeably dim.

Surely covers the flying day right up until dark.

Should be about 14 hours at a 70 mA draw. I've used as small as a 180 mAH 2S, in an Estes Mongoose that I used for testing the Quantum airstart firmware. Even with the added weight, two of those AT D21 18mm motors can really send something like that way up...

I've killed a few LiPo's too by forgetting to turn off the WiFi-enabled stuff, but not an Eggfinder. You want to make a habit of disconnecting your tracker as soon as possible, not because of the batteries but because you don't want to be transmitting on that frequency/ID all day and hogging it up.

Okay, I will give Steve a shout. And thx for the suggestion.

Well, I did not have to get off my fanny and contact Steve. He initiated things and we have been talking. He is now working on a prototype based on my needs for the LOC Goblin. I am amazed at how thorough and exacting Steve is. I believe SMT Designs will do very well in the hands of Mr. Thatcher.

I received an email from Mr. Thatcher today.....

end_mount_54mm_eggfinder_bay_3x5.jpg

end_mount_54mm_eggfinder_bay_bottom_3x5.jpg

end_mount_54mm_eggfinder_bay_end_3x5.jpg

I will be placing my order as soon a he has time to list it on his store.

Very similar to something that I cobbled together modifying a nose cone sled for my RTX. Convergent evolution.

Well folks, I just placed my order for the sled. I am really looking forward to getting this installed in the LOC Goblin.

For anyone interested, it is now listed on the SMT website as 54mm End Mount EggFinder Tracker Bay Kit - $18.95 (Link).

Many thanks to Mr. Thatcher for taking the time and effort to help me.

Last edited:
So last night I assembled the sled. It went together without issue. I must say, this sled is really robust. I like Steve's modular concept.

Some things to note.
*The antenna holder was designed for the antenna offered by EggTimer. So my antenna, sourced from Digi-Key, did not fit. The fix was simple... "Dremel Time!"
*The screw used to activate the power switch, a 4-40 x 1", ended up being a 1/4" too short. This was due to the way I decided to set up said screw. A quick run to the home despot, err... Home Depot, will take care of that issue.
SMT EggFinder Sled-Small.jpg

Goblin NC Sled Baseplate-Small.jpg

All in all, I am very happy with my purchase of this sled.

Many thanks to Mr. Steve Thatcher for all time and energy he put into prototyping this sled and getting it to me in such short order.

In the past I have made my own plywood sleds, but for my LOC Goblin I want to try a 3D printed sled. The issue I have run into is that no one seems to make an EggFinder sled that will easily accept a 1000mAh LiPo pack.

I even tried contacting one maker of sleds, about modding one of their stock sleds or getting a quote on a custom print. Sad to say I never got a response back.

Any suggestions?

Just curious, why do you need such a high power lipo pack? 1S 500mAh cells work fine and are smaller and lighter.... Put your battery on the opposite side of the frame as the electronics, strap in place with cable ties. will give you plenty of room for it.

Just curious, why do you need such a high power lipo pack? 1S 500mAh cells work fine and are smaller and lighter.... Put your battery on the opposite side of the frame as the electronics, strap in place with cable ties. will give you plenty of room for it.
I use a large pack mainly for peace of mind. As in run time. I have heard too many tales of base units (of differing brands) losing signal acquisition mid flight and the rocket is never seen again. Longer run time gives a greater chance of recovery of a lost bird.

Side benefits include needing less nose weight (if any) and not having to recharge in the middle of a flying day when I forget to turn the tracker off after an early launch.

Back