Eggfinder Mini repair

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradMilkomeda

Reaction score
Last month when I launched my Punisher on an I285 I lost contact with my Eggfinder Mini at lift off.

Upon inspection the diode by the battery connector along with the pad fell off.

I remember having difficulty with that component. I likely over heated the pad *doh*

The trace looks like it just goes to the left lead of the nearby voltage regulator. I’m thinking I can just use a through the hole diode and make the connection. The put some hot glue or something to hold it there. Sound like it could work?

I’m not sure what the specs are on the component, nor certain I’ll be able to find the specs on what I have on my box-o-components but I’m not thinking it’s very critical, and if it works when I test it it should be good enough.

Attachments

• B6A4C08D-85E2-4256-9876-EFF07644ACAB.jpeg
    B6A4C08D-85E2-4256-9876-EFF07644ACAB.jpeg
    93.6 KB · Views: 157
The diode is there for reverse-polarity protection. Since you already had it connected properly, you could just solder a wire jumper across the pad next to the "+" battery wire and the lead on the voltage regulator where the diode connected. I'd be more concerned with how you had the Mini mounted... parts don't just "fall off" a PC board, there had to be something that hit it. Did you have it wrapped up in a Nomex blanket tied to the shock cord? If so, I recommend wrapping the blanked around the Mini once, then wrapping the battery around it... that prevents the battery from contacting any of the parts on the board if it shifts around.

Thanks so much for the help!

Seen the attached photo. I’ve been using a section of 29mm motor tube with a foam plug. I usually place the battery of the radio not the GPS side. It seems snug in there. Any tips for this mounting style?

Attachments

• 3A2AFFDF-BF2C-4A7D-8858-859462D215FF.jpeg
    3A2AFFDF-BF2C-4A7D-8858-859462D215FF.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 79
I have a Lab Rat sled that I just use for wrapping in a Nomex blanket... it keeps things from shifting around and causing problems like the one that Brad ran into. I could probably have done the same thing with a little strip of FG, but the sled is a lot more elegant.

Back