Eggfinder Mini Power problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice; great job on debugging and repair.

Update. I purchased a second Eggfinder Mini - with new style pre-fitted GPS. It was excellent - fast lock, good accuracy etc and flown on several flights.
However when I tested the Mini GPS after a couple of weeks in storage, its dead - no led's or data and a high frequency buzz from the V Reg which I think indicates overload.
I checked all for wire/solder wisps etc, disconnected the RF module power, the V Reg is still in overload with only the GPS module connected - therefore my conclusion is a dead GPS module - damn, I think I a jinxed with these Minis.
Oh well, time to raid the piggybank.

Not sure how you can get a "buzz"... it's an analog regulator, not a switching unit. What kind of power are you using? How did you "disconnect" the RF module's power? There's no jumper... you'd have to cut a trace or unsolder the module (which BTW is almost a guarantee of messing up the RF module).

1: I am using a 2S 300mAh LiPo - the high pitch buzzing may be from linear reg, but could be the gps module. If reg it's the repeated current overload causing shutdown and then resetting(my guess) if gps I know not what causing buzzing. But it's a very distinct symptom of an overload in my electronics d&d experience.

2: disconnecting the rf module power requires care but iit s not difficult - use solder sucker or braid to remove most solder from 'pin' 1, heat remaining solder on pad and use a thin high temp insulator to slide between module and board to separate any solder hairs etc. Leave insulator in there to keep pad from touching the board. Works if tape is placed under the rf module during mounting as per assembly instructions. In earlier posts I described a similar process I used to successfully remove and replace a faulty rf module.

Hope that clarifies.

Back