Eggfinder LCD RX Cases

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackbrandt

That Darn College Student
Reaction score
I'm trying to find options for how to set mine up. I have access to a 3D printer.

What's your favorite setup?

I am probably going to mimic the Black Aero cases (https://www.blackaero.com/products/eggfinder-lcd-case). At a minimum, you need to add the power switch and the menu button.

There are a few viable options and you know I prefer my cases. Just remember the holidays are coming up which mean's a sale will happen that may peak anyone's interest.

You can also purchase the other case options or use the default plastic case that comes with the kit.

Put it together with the case that came with it. Use it a few times and get the hang of using it. Then figure out what you want. Like a cup holder on the side!

Tony

There are a few viable options and you know I prefer my cases. Just remember the holidays are coming up which mean's a sale will happen that may peak anyone's interest.

You can also purchase the other case options or use the default plastic case that comes with the kit.
I thought about it, but I would really prefer to design/build my own. :) I will definitely keep yours in mind though.

Put it together with the case that came with it. Use it a few times and get the hang of using it. Then figure out what you want. Like a cup holder on the side!

Tony

I bought the mouser type case and lcd and antenna extentions with that in mind.. but have been using the case that came with the kit and never moved on.

Cut an inch off the top of the free case and used some nylon stand offs and spacers for mine.

The slice in half virtually eliminates the empty space and with the stand offs and some double sided tape for padding makes it strong enough to survive a drop or getting bounced around the recovery vehicle.

Kenny

20161114_202551.jpg

Last edited:
I bought the mouser type case and lcd and antenna extentions with that in mind.. but have been using the case that came with the kit and never moved on.

Cut an inch off the top of the free case and used some nylon stand offs and spacers for mine.

The slice in half virtually eliminates the empty space and with the stand offs and some double sided tape for padding makes it strong enough to survive a drop or getting bounced around the recovery vehicle.

Kenny

I did mine in this fashion with a ribbon cable:

5.jpg2.jpg

The only problem with this setup is the serial header is on the backside of the board and I've been too lazy to mark the cable for programming the programmable EggFinders. I have another one in a Black Aero case I can get into the backside to reprogram frequencies
and ID's on my v2 EggFinders. The large black case lends itself to high capacity batteries . Kurt

I did mine in this fashion with a ribbon cable:

View attachment 305413View attachment 305414

The only problem with this setup is the serial header is on the backside of the board and I've been too lazy to mark the cable for programming the programmable EggFinders. I have another one in a Black Aero case I can get into the backside to reprogram frequencies
and ID's on my v2 EggFinders. The large black case lends itself to high capacity batteries . Kurt

Very Nice !

Your decal is eGGquisite !

My next case will be a tricorder - which size wise was what I was going for with the chop job .

Props to Exactimator who mounted the free battery holder as a switch for us -- now he has moved on and acquired his own , personal RX .

Kenny

I use the case it came with as-is. Keeps it simple and I can rest my phone on it while I hike through the desert searching. That way i can carry both in one hand.

While I'm out, I look at my phone for the location. The LCD is just there in case I made an error keying the coordinates into my phone. Also, the LCD starts beeping again when I get close and it requires signal. It let's me know I'm getting closer and I can check for any update from the last known position.

Last edited:
I just stumbled across this thread whille looking for something else.

Here's my Eggfinder RX LCD in an off-the-shelf case. It actually works quite well.

RX_LCD_zpsfcopfudu.jpg

I just stumbled across this thread whille looking for something else.

Here's my Eggfinder RX LCD in an off-the-shelf case. It actually works quite well.

RX_LCD_zpsfcopfudu.jpg

Its not nice to post a pic of a case that nice then not tell us where to get one of our own (model number and vendor)! :)

Back