Eggfinder LCD Receiver not Connecting to Eggtimer Quasar

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ibnu12

Reaction score
I have been able to power up and solder these units, the Quasar works fine in terms of wifi-configuration as well the testing page. We've mountainously faced the issue that the radio signal transmitted is not being received. The LCD reciver goes from "Waiting for TRS Fix" to "Waiting for the GPS Fix" even when it's left on for 10 minutes and the wireless configuration page shows that the Quasar has recived a fix.

I've left the frequency and ID to their default values. Any tips for getting them to connect to each other ?

Have you confirmed that Quasar is transmitting GPS data (red LED flashes one per sec on RF module) and has a GPS fix (orange LED near GPS module is on)? Check Page 49 o Quasar manual.

Is the LCD GPS getting a fix and the LCD LED on?

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    201.8 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
When connected to the quasar wifi network and there is a gps fix available. The LED blinks on the refresh of the web page.

On refreshing the web page... The hope rf module's red LED blinks, but the Eggfinder LCD still shows waiting for fix and doesn't display anything

Last edited:
Is the LCD Rx closed up? If so, can you open it and check its Hope module for a green blinking LED that matches the red blinking LED on the Quasar?

When connected to the quasar wifi network and there is a gps fix available. The LED blinks on the refresh of the web page.

On refreshing the web page... The hope rf module's red LED blinks, but the Eggfinder LCD still shows waiting for fix and doesn't display anything
Have you confirmed that the LCD internal GPS module is working?

Check that both are actually on the same frequency and ID.
Just because the defaults should be the same does not mean they actually are.

In the LCD RX is a connector for Blue tooth and other options (I use it to log GPS data to an Open Logger SD card). This is a series port. It is easy to connect a serial to USB adapter to this and see if the GPS modules data is getting to the LCD RX.

Ok, good Freq and ID checked.

Is this just built?
If so then go back over every solder joint with a 10x or more magnifier and very good lighting.

Soldering is the most likely cause of an Eggtimer/finder not working.

Well a visual inspection seems to indicate everything is ok. Is there a way to test if the soldering is ok ?. All other functions seem to be working just fine.

There's no LED light blinking on the LCD receiver once it's turned on.
Have you followed the troubleshooting procedure on P21 (Board Rev C1) or P27 (Board Rev B5) of the respective LCD-GPS manual?
  1. Check that the LCD firmware is V1.10N or higher.
  2. Check your wiring.
  3. Do you get a GPS fix LED on
  4. Check solder joints
If you isolate the LCD-GPS module and power it up from the LCD board, you should get a GPS fix LED (1S on the GPS board) coming on after a few minutes. Make sure you are outdoors to get a good GPS fix.

Your LCD receiver has a GPS board?
If so given the screen has changed from waiting for TRS to waiting for GPS it seems that the Quasar is communicating to the LCD, but the LCD is waiting for its GPS chip to get a fix.
This may indicate a faulty GPS in that chip or an issue with the soldering on that board-or you haven’t connected it properly (pins on the LCD board connected to the wrong pins on the GPS board).
Try disconnecting the LCD GPS board and see what comes through from the Quasar

Your LCD receiver has a GPS board?
If so given the screen has changed from waiting for TRS to waiting for GPS it seems that the Quasar is communicating to the LCD, but the LCD is waiting for its GPS chip to get a fix.
This may indicate a faulty GPS in that chip or an issue with the soldering on that board-or you haven’t connected it properly (pins on the LCD board connected to the wrong pins on the GPS board).
Try disconnecting the LCD GPS board and see what comes through from the Quasar
We are using only an Eggfinder LCD receiver without the add on GPS module. Once the Eggfinder LCD is turned on, there are no LEDs flashing on the Eggfinder LCD. The LCD screen says waiting for fix.

We are using only an Eggfinder LCD receiver without the add on GPS module. Once the Eggfinder LCD is turned on, there are no LEDs flashing on the Eggfinder LCD. The LCD screen says waiting for fix.
Does the green Rx LED on the LCD receiver Hope RF module flash in sync with the red Tx LED on the Quasar Hope RF module? If this is not happening, then the LCD is not receiving the data from the Quasar, so it won't receive a fix. From what you say, you are not seeing the green Rx LED on the LCD RF module flashing.

Does the green Rx LED on the LCD receiver Hope RF module flash in sync with the red Tx LED on the Quasar Hope RF module? If this is not happening, then the LCD is not receiving the data from the Quasar, so it won't receive a fix. From what you say, you are not seeing the green Rx LED on the LCD RF module flashing.
They don't flash. None of the LEds of the reciver module flash outside of the immediate boot up m

Last edited:
I think the no-green blinking on the RX side is your biggest clue. With the TX in the same room, the RX doesn’t even need the antenna to pick it up. I get reception off of SMA connectors not connected to anything. So if it’s not blinking, something’s wrong there. Wrong frequency/id. Maybe antenna connection shorted? PGM pads shorted?

I once had a bad Hope chip.

I suspect my eggfinder chip is busted. Do any of you know if there's a way of decoding the quasar data via SDR

I would back up to the Quasar. Connect a serial to USB to it and ensure it is outputting GPS data on its serial pins.

Troubleshooting is all about Divide then Conquer.

Do any of you know if there's a way of decoding the quasar data via SDR
It should be pretty easy to use SDR and tell if your transmitter is actually transmitting. I think the HM-TRP uses FSK modulation with no frequency hopping, so you could decode as described in https://mightydevices.com/index.php/2019/08/decoding-fsk-transmission-recorded-by-rtl-sdr-dongle/ -- but I have no idea how sensitive the SDR would be or how long it would take computationally; a lot simpler to just get your Eggfinder receiver working.

I would back up to the Quasar. Connect a serial to USB to it and ensure it is outputting GPS data on its serial pins.

Troubleshooting is all about Divide then Conquer.
If the red led on the Hope module (not the amber led on the Quasar) is flashing in short bursts about a second apart, then it's sending. The old GPS module that EggFinders used had a distinct 4 short, 1 long flashing pattern. The new one that pre-mounted sends a different set of NMEA talkers - more nearly all the same length.

It should be matched by green flashes on the Rx Hope module. My guess to the most common cause of no-green flashes is a frequency/ID mismatch. But the OP says they reset both Rx and Tx multiple times. Hope-fully correctly.

Check the solder joints on the LCD’s RF module… in particular, the third one from the right is an “enable” line, and if that solder joint isn’t good it will disable the RF module.

You said that you changed the frequency, if you change it on the LCD receiver do you get “OK Reset to Start” on the LCD screen, or does it just hang?

Have you tried testing it outdoors? The LCD receiver’s firmware is a little pickier about having a good GPS fix than the Quasar’s firmware. However, if your Quasar’s status page shows 4+ satellites you should be getting a fix on the LCD, assuming that they are communicating.

Note that once you connect to the Quasar’s status page, it does NOT send out GPS packets until you either arm/refresh the page (it sends GPS data for two seconds at that time), or if you arm it for flight (at which time it will send packets continuously once per second). If you power on the Quasar and do NOT connect to the page, it will also send out GPS packets continuously (we do that so you will still get GPS data in the unlikely event that the Quasar resets when the drogue fires).

Other than checking the regulators’ output voltages, a DVM isn’t going to do you much good. This is a digital device… there’s very little troubleshooting you can do with one.

Back