Eggfinder LCD Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lowga

A.K.A. 'Mr. HoJo'
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I own a Eggtimer GPS system (900 MHz) that I purchased assembled from another rocketeer.

The receiver is mounted in a case, and currently has version 1.09e of the firmware. Looks like I need to update that. The board is marked REV A2. I have no idea what the purpose of the daughter board below the main board might be.

The transmitter is board version (Eggtimer TX Rev B7).

I’d like to purchase upgrades to allow me to have the “arrow” indicator to allow me to track the rocket using the handheld receiver, and also to transmit information via Bluetooth to my android phone.

What exactly will I need? Will I need to remove the LCD receiver from the case and just install a completely new version or can I just add these options on to what I already have?

Will I need a new TX as well? If so, I may switch to the 400 MHz ham radio system instead.

Eggfinder Rev A2.jpgEggfinder Wide.jpg

I was just messing with mine last night since I had finished up a Mini GPS.

You'll need a TX of some sort (TX, Mini, TRS), the LCD, GPS module for LCD and BT module.

From the pic, you have the LCD and BT. If you have an existing TX in 900Mhz, the LCD is also 900Mhz so that's fine. You should only need an additional GPS daughter board for the LCD.

I'd also update all the boards to the latest firmware.

Yes, it has the Eggfinder TX Rev B7 (915 MhZ Version) It works great. I have been manually entering GPS coordinates into my phone, and walking straight to the rocket.

Figured out that the daughterboard is the HC-06 Bluetooth daughterboard. Pairing it with my Android phone now. Any recommendations on the best software to use for this?

So I only need to add the GPS module for LCD daughter board. What's involved in installing that? I don't see anything about it in the instructions that I have.

You already have the bluetooth in there, that's the daughterboard. You'll need the LCD-GPS module to add the capability you're looking for. Since you have an earlier revision LCD unit, you'll have to solder a couple wires onto it in odd spots. Not hard but a bit more work than the newer versions that already have a connector.

If you don't have it yet, you'll also need the data cable to update the firmware.

That one looks like it's been upgraded a bit with some buttons and things moved to the housing, that are usually board mounted. Whomever built that looks like they did a good job.

Back