Eggfinder gps module fix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kzimmerman

Reaction score
So I had someone assemble an eggfinder for me and they didn’t use enough solder in the gps module and it broke, with the module breaking free of its base. Is there a fix for this? Or does the whole thing need replacing? Anybody know if it’s a two antenna or one?
Thanks!

I think you better post a few images of the Eggfinder. Has the GPS receiver case come off the PCB or are you referring to the ceramic GPS antenna block on top of the GPS receiver case? Where wasn't there enough solder? Around the GPS module PCB connection pads to the main PCB, or the ground solder connections on the base of the GPS module to the main PCB?

Not sure what you mean about "a two antenna or one?". That's a little vague. There is a single patch antenna on the GPS module and a monopole telemetry antenna on the main PCB.

What Eggfinder kit are you referring to?

The ceramic antenna. The directions said to fill the little hole with solder to attach it and the fellow that built it didn’t do that. I don’t have it right now, my brother does. I’ve asked him for pictures so I could see which model it is, but my brother does things on his own timeline. My brother told me about the one or two antenna chips, he would know.
thank you for your help!

The ceramic antenna. The directions said to fill the little hole with solder to attach it and the fellow that built it didn’t do that. I don’t have it right now, my brother does. I’ve asked him for pictures so I could see which model it is, but my brother does things on his own timeline. My brother told me about the one or two antenna chips, he would know.
thank you for your help!
If you need pics faster, you could use EggTimer's assembly manual (Here) and just reference the appropriate page.

thank you for your help!
By "the little hole", I hope you don't mean the large hole in the middle of the board... if you fill that with solder your GPS will not work. Depending on your board, there are either 8 holes on the bottom of the board or two slots; if you shine a light through them you'll see a gold colored pad underneath them. You need to fill the hole/slots with solder so that it bonds those gold pads to the board; the procedure for that is in the assembly instructions for your board.

I think that the hole goes through the ceramic antenna. I’m still waiting on the pictures. Maybe getting to be time for a gentle reminder.

Here are pics of one of my EggFinders. As you can see in the first pic, the only holes that are soldered are the two long rectangular holes, not the large circular hole between them.

The 2nd pic shows the GPS module with it's beige colored ceramic patch antenna. If you look closely at the base of the GPS module, you will notice I have applied clear silicone glue to help keep the patch antenna attached in case the EggFinder experiences sudden high G loads from events like ejection charges.

(Click to enlarge)
EggFinder - Bottom View-Small.jpg

(Click to enlarge)
EggFinder - Top View-Small.jpg

I'm sure Cris will respond but it looks good to me. The center hole is NOT to be soldered.
Clear silicone probably will work but I prefer epoxy.

I’m still waiting on those pics. The problem is that I cannot remember which model I have. Knowing me, I probably got the eggfinder trs. I was planning on asking my brother about those pics tonight, as well as some clarity on the one or two antenna thing.
can I just resolder the antenna?

When you say that the "module broke free from its base", do you mean that the little brown square antenna from the GPS module broke off from the metal can that it sits on? Or do you mean that the entire GPS module, including the metal can, broke off the PC board, and you can see the green PC board underneath it?

DBDEE29A-CAF2-4DB6-B834-6B5BA8668B9F.jpeg3A25F103-6349-42F6-8C0C-442517BF0C69.jpegF833C95E-9535-41B8-B510-1BA724ABBC7A.jpeg11AE4AC9-39E9-4125-B417-AE89244A6846.jpeg Finally got some pics! The top is the model, the second the whole unit. The large metallic piece is where the brown (antenna?) fell off.

OK, that's one of the original A5 model TRS's...

The thing that broke off is NOT the GPS module, it's the GPS antenna. They are held on with special conductive double-sticky tape to the metal can (which contains the actual GPS module), and there is one pin in the center that is soldered to the GPS module's board. Unfortunately, this is not repairable; when the antenna breaks off, it virtually always takes the "plate through" on the GPS module's circuit board with it, so even if you managed to solder it back on it wouldn't make contact. Believe me, I've tried many times to fix this over 7 years; we recommend that users run a bead of epoxy around the base of the antenna where it meets the metal can, to prevent shocks from breaking it off.

The remedy is to replace the GPS module/antenna, it can be done by someone with the correct equipment. You may want to contact whomever built your TRS... they may be able to do it. If they can't, then you can always contact us... [email protected]

Back