Eggfinder Batteries

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Antares JS

Professional Amateur
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Please assume that I have no idea what I'm doing here, because I really don't. Electrical stuff has long been my kryptonite.

I have an Eggfinder set, a Lab Rat Rocketry sled for the transmitter, and a Black Aero case for the receiver. What I don't have is batteries or any idea how to pick them out. I was pointed at hobbyking.com but there are hundreds of options and I just felt lost trying to figure out what I needed.

Weight is not an issue and I would prefer to get the biggest, longest-lasting batteries possible, that fit in the sled and black aero case.

2S 400mAh 20C minimum.

2S says 2x 3.7v nomial cells in series to give 7.4v nomial. 3S or 4S are options but watch out for maximum voltage. A fully charged 4S is about 16.8v (14.4v nomimal) 1S is too small for some systems (Quark) so I'd avoid them

400mAh is the capicty. Bigger the number gives longer run time. 400mAh should run a TX for several hours. A 1000mAh ran my miniTX for over 12 hours.

20C is the discharge rate. Higher the number lets the electronics source higher amerage at once.

Check your physical space limits and increase capacity and discharge rate as desired. For an Eggfinder tx, you don't need more than 20C discharge since it wont be doing deployments but even 20C can fire dozens of ematches without issue.

What kind of battery comes with the Apogee? And where can I find it? I've looked till I'm cross eyed. Have bought a dozen batteries and the are all to big for my MD rockets.

2S 400mAh 20C minimum.

2S says 2x 3.7v nomial cells in series to give 7.4v nomial. 3S or 4S are options but watch out for maximum voltage. A fully charged 4S is about 16.8v (14.4v nomimal) 1S is too small for some systems (Quark) so I'd avoid them

400mAh is the capicty. Bigger the number gives longer run time. 400mAh should run a TX for several hours. A 1000mAh ran my miniTX for over 12 hours.

20C is the discharge rate. Higher the number lets the electronics source higher amerage at once.

Check your physical space limits and increase capacity and discharge rate as desired. For an Eggfinder tx, you don't need more than 20C discharge since it wont be doing deployments but even 20C can fire dozens of ematches without issue.

Thanks, that helps my comprehension bit. For my edification, what does the P mean in a designation like "2S1P?" I saw a few of those when I was looking.

What kind of battery comes with the Apogee? And where can I find it? I've looked till I'm cross eyed. Have bought a dozen batteries and the are all to big for my MD rockets.
We sell a 110 mAH battery for the Apogee, it's $5. The Easy Mount was designed around it. We also sell a 350 mAH battery for the ION, it's $8; you could use it with the Apogee if you wanted to, but it's really overkill; the Apogee draws only about 7 mA when armed and "chirping".

Thanks, that helps my comprehension bit. For my edification, what does the P mean in a designation like "2S1P?" I saw a few of those when I was looking.
2 cells in series. "1" in parallel. Total of 2 cells. If we consider each cell to be 3.7v and 400mAh, then 2S1P would give 7.4v 400mAh. If the battery were 2S2P, then it would be 7.4v and 800mAh. In the vast majority of cases, you can ignore cells in parallel and look at total capacity. There are edge cases where cells in parallel are desired like extreme discharge rates but cells in parallel don't give a true usable capacity since you can't drain a cell down to zero. For rocketry you want 1P or not listed at all.

Back