Egg Lofting

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailboss

Reaction score
Hey group,

I'm new, but like the Egg-Lofting idea. Any thoughts on the best kit to start with or any other tips for that matter?

Thanks,

TrailBoss

Are you looking to do it for sport or for competition? If for competition, take a look at the egglofting kits from ASP or QCR. If for fun, take a look at the Quest Courier. I have the ASP 18mm egglofter and my son built the QCR 18mm egglofter. Both are shroud types, but somehow his came out 4 grams lighter. We're hoping to see how well they perform in a section meet this weekend.

Egglofting is great fun.

The one time I took first place in a local contest was with the egglofter design that I came up with for Apogee (when Ed Lacrox owned it). After the contest, I blew the egg out and still have it on display :)

The only other time I was involved with egglofting as a contest was when a Big Bertha, modified with styro coffee cups and duct tape for an egg capsule, took first place as the only qualified flight... LOL

such fun!

I've got a Custom Elite, with modified fins. The body tube is an 18mm, so the motor is friction fit. It looks cool, but you definitely need an egg in the hen grenade or you have major stability problems on your hands.

hen grenade! LOL!

More like a Rocket Propelled Hen Grenade. RPHG.
Or Rooster Booster. :rolleyes: :p

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
Or Rooster Booster. :rolleyes: :p

ROTFLMAO!

That's great! :D :D :D

I've tried egglofting, at least in a modified form...I don't have time to type up the story now, but my good friend Eugene (eugenefl) will know what I'm talking about! :p :p

Jason

Here's a pic of an Old Apogee B-liner (B eggloft) somewhere on another disc I have the full size pattern for the Shroud, the important thing to note here is the motor tube inside this shroud is only 2.5 inches long. the Shourd is the body, and the Egg capsule nests into the top of the shroud. Makes BIG chute deployment very easy. I've adapted this shroud design for 18 and 24mm motors. As soon as I find the disc I'll reduce the res and post it here. print it on any heavy weight Poster paper, or 110lb card stock, great for both single and dual egg models.
Pratt hobbies has the old style (Very light wight) CMR egg capsules for sale.

Originally posted by Micromister
Here's a pic of an Old Apogee B-liner (B eggloft) somewhere on another disc I have the full size pattern for the Shroud, the important thing to note here is the motor tube inside this shroud is only 2.5 inches long.

Yup, that's what my ASP eggstravaganza and my son's QCR model look like. In another thread somewhere I posted a link to a quickee java program I wrote that allows you to quickly print shrouds of whatever size you want. If I wasn't so lazy I'd hunt it down for everyone. We printed a 10" shroud for my son...identical to my eggstravaganza. Seems to work well for stuffing big parachutes. I'm thinking of a shorter, lower skin friction shroud for eggloft altitude.

Originally posted by trailboss
Hey group,

Any thoughts on the best kit to start with...

I'll be doing my first egg loft next month and found the Quest Courier at Hobby Lobby. I'm in the middle of putting it together right now. The nosecone comes as one piece and has to be cut in half to stow your egg, then it slides back together and uses a piece of electrical tape to hold it that way during flight. Be careful cutting the nosecone apart, almost lost a finger.

It really looks good so far and looks like it will do well for what I want.

The only CON so far (besides Exacto-digititus)was that the kevlar cord could have been a little longer and there was no elastic shock cord in the kit. No bother though, I managed and I would have used a longer elastic shock cord any way.

Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
And be sure to use a very strong parachute.....most people use parachutes in which the shroud lines are continous "over the top" to keep them from shredding the parachute at engine ejection....

Good advice. ASP sells competition parachutes (1/4 mil mylar) with over the top shroud lines for egg lofting in sizes up to 36". Look for their Hang Time Over Easy parachutes. ASP also sells sheets of 56"x56" 1/4 mil mylar so that you can make even larger chutes if you so desire.

Oh- and the Elite ships with a 12" chute... You'll want a bigger one - that egg comes down <i>fast.</i>

Back