Edmonds Gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illini

Reaction score
We flew 3 different Edmonds glider kits today: Ecee and CiCi2 built by me and a Deltie built by my 10 year old son. Here's our quickie report on each:

Ecee: Builds great and flies even better. This is a 13mm canard rocket glider with a free moving elevator on ascent that locks into a fixed position for glide. First flight was in November on a 1/2A3-2T. Not much altitude on that motor, although transition and glide worked great. Two flights today were on A3-4Ts. Ascent and glide were beautiful on both flights even though it kicked the motor on the second flight. The Ecee just looks great gliding at altitude. Overall, a fun little rocket glider that has me eyeing the Ecee Thunder (D-motor upscale). Highly recommended.

Deltie: Easy to build for any age and a great glider too. This is a 13mm pop-pod style boost glider with laser cut parts that's a snap to build. My son had no problems with this. I weighed the glider (minus the pod) before flying today...4.5 grams. Both flights today on 1/2A3-2T, which had us hoofing it after the glider both times...the thing really hangs up there. The pod streamer separated on the first flight and the kevlar cut through the tape at the top of the pod (kevlar is attached to the pod externally). On the second flight we opted for nose blow recovery (since the small crepe streamer was lost), and this time the nose cone separated as the kevlar broke. The stock kevlar is smaller diameter than some 28lb. stuff I have on hand...thinking this is too light. We'll probably repair the pod with 28lb. next time and hope for better results. The glider flew great both times, though.

CiCi2: Easy to build, but upper stage glider roasted. That's right, this is a two stager where both stages are gliders. The upper stage appears to be a stock CiCi that ejects the motor for glide. The lower stage has a long body tube attached for gap staging (see the attached picture) and retains its motor for glide. The gliders mount to each other back-to-back for ascent. Flew this once today on B6-0/A8-3. The lower stage recovered nicely. The upper stage really took off and was nearly lost. Had to search a bit to recover. The main wing was really singed. The left inboard is burned through. I don't believe this was due to the upper stage motor...guessing this was the result of blowing burning propellant through the vents of the lower stage. Hard to say for sure what the cause was, but the upper stage is toast (literally!).

Picture is of Ecee on the left, CiCi2 lower stage in the middle, and CiCi2 upper stage on the right. You can see the damage on the upper stage main wing.

...and a better angle on the roasted CiCi2 upper stage (white paper underneath for better contrast).

On my Ecee I made an engine hook out of a piece of piano wire and made the "exhaust" hole a tad bigger (not much!)

Haven't kicked a motor since then.

Anybody tried painting theirs just to see what happens?

sandman

Hey illini868891...

I personally own 3 Edmonds gliders - the Deltie Thunder, Decee Thunder, and Geminee. The Deltie Thunder has a few flights on it. I was supposed to fly it today, but winds prevented it. The Decee Thunder never made it to the field. Last night I accidentally stepped on it and it broke in 5-6 places. In a fit of rage I made sure it was in small enough parts to fit in the waste bin. No worries, I traced out the patterns and will be building it again. The Geminee (13mm) saw 2 flights in its lifetime. On the 2nd flight the ejection charge burned off 1/2 of one of the glider fuselages. Overall, when they did fly I enjoyed them immensely. I am hoping to pick up the Ecee Thunder sometime in the spring. There's something about R/G...I supposed it's the niceness of not having to deal with pop-pods.

Best of luck with your gliders. I would definitely try out a "Thunder" series glider as they tend to be MASSIVE in size - especially the Deltie Thunder!

Does Edmonds have a website? I may have to check out some of his kits, been needing a glider fix:D.

Originally posted by Blue_Ninja_150
Does Edmonds have a website? I may have to check out some of his kits, been needing a glider fix:D.

In addition to sandman's links, here is the Edmonds site - <a href="https://members.aol.com/RobEdmonds/Edmonds.html">Edmonds Aerospace</a>

Search around. Most online vendors carry limited lines of Edmonds products. All 3 of my gliders came via eBay so you might want to check there too.

ASP has a good selection of Edmonds kits, if not the complete line.

To all,

I bought the CiCi2 and she flew great with 2 exceptions.

One was the upper stage vent holes. They were chared pretty bad. Also the base of the glued in balsa nose cone. What would be a good way of preventing this? Maybe coating in epoxy?? Any hints on doing this cleanly?

Two, after seperation and upper stage burn-out the two gliders came down fairly steep. What is the best way to trim these out to let them glide in slow and smooth?? These are my first gliders.

Eric F.

Also, I forgot to mention. The booster tube vent hole is covered because I have an expended motor to keep it together while stowed. Normally it would be gapped enough to open the hole.

Eric F.

Originally posted by Rocket Flier VB
One was the upper stage vent holes. They were chared pretty bad. Also the base of the glued in balsa nose cone. What would be a good way of preventing this? Maybe coating in epoxy?? Any hints on doing this cleanly?

I had no problem with the upper stage vent holes on mine. One thing I did was make sure that the holes were completely uncovered. Built per instructions, the nose cone blocks these half way. I glued the nose cone in, then took a dremel to it to drill through the vents and clear away the nose. No problems there...just toasted the main wing.

I bought the CiCi2 and she flew great with 2 exceptions.

...should have also asked you how many times you've flown the CiCi2. Have you seen any scorching or exhaust burns on the upper stage wing? Wondering if I did something wrong, or is this a problem in the design.

I have only flown it once. I wanted to try to trim it out before I do it again. I had beveled the holes where the nose cone covered it but I'll go out there and drill it straight through. I haven't seen any scorching of the wings. Do you think it would effect the flight performance if I installed exhaust tubes to direct the charge? Maybe small and swept back. Hmm.

Eric F.

Do you think it would effect the flight performance if I installed exhaust tubes to direct the charge? Maybe small and swept back.

Personally, I wouldn't do anything to add weight to the front of the glider. Drilling away the shoulder of the nose was good enough for me, but then I've only had one flight on it.

Regarding trimming and performance, the CiCi upper stage is relatively heavy for a glider of such small wing area, so a somewhat steep glide angle is to be expected. The kits are designed with the proper incidence angles built in. Unless you glued the canard or main wing at the wrong angle or somehow added extra weight, my guess is that it is gliding the way it was designed to. When I was building the CiCi2 I contacted Rob Edmonds to ask about airfoiling and finishing. His answer was that these are such low performance gliders that such performance tweeks were unnecessary.

Edmonds does sell a competition kit called the Ivee that I suspect has much better glide performance. The Deltie is also a surprisingly good glider.

Originally posted by illini868891
Have you seen any scorching or exhaust burns on the upper stage wing? Wondering if I did something wrong, or is this a problem in the design.
I don't think you did anything wrong, could there have been a little "thrust vectoring" from a poopy clay nozzle??
I have 3 Edmonds gliders too. I have flown my single stage CiCi several (10ish) times. It is my A8-3 burner. I noticed on one recent flight, the fuselage beam was sorched badly (nearly through) behind the engine nozzle, even though it had nary a mark on the previous several flights. I attributed it to a slight thrust vectoring. I doo have lots of the whitish poopy clay estes motors.
I love my Giminee 18mm clone (20+ flights) and my recently acquired Giminee thunder cato'd on the pad for its inagural flight.:mad: :( :kill: I have rebuilt it, but not tried to launch it again.
I saw a Ecee thunder fly in fairly high winds at a launch in October. Cool flight!! I want one!!:D :cool:

Oh, I soaked the back side of the Nose cones with thin CA and that helped with the scorching. epoxy sounds kinda heavy to me

I have 'painted' my Tinee with magic marker for better visibility, but have not yet flown it.

Back