Edmonds "CiCi" Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steward

Reaction score

Anyone with "CiCi" experience?
If I understand correctly... you mount a weight on one of the wings (or side?) in order for it to maintain a radial pattern while gliding back. I lost my first one because when it reached altitude, it seem to just keep climbing... and flew away...
Would I need a physical weight, or just alot of glue (say a rather larger than normal fillet), or what? What (or where)is the best place to mount it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Mine always did pretty well with a double fillet on one side, top and bottom. Occasionally it would still glide straight. Maybe depending on the breeze?

Steward,
Nice picture! The CiCi will usually turn slightly left or right. I like to fly it once without any extra weight and see which way it turns. Then place either some clay or a glue fillet to get the glider to turn even more.

Best regards,
Brian Swanson

yeah ill back up the clay suggestion. Clay can be modified at anytime unlike your glue fillets will be there permently under every circumstance. Try placing small amounts of clay to balance them out or to make them come back to earth alot faster which this all depends on where you fly and the ground type. We have farm property that when rockets hit it the tails or cones tend to just bounce a lil and rest ontop of the fresh tilled dirt kinda like a pillow so bringing the gliders back in faster isnt much of a problem. But to get your gliders the way you like i recommend launching on really LOW engine sizes till you get it ll figured out or you may keep losing gliders.

Originally posted by Steward

Anyone with "CiCi" experience?
If I understand correctly... you mount a weight on one of the wings (or side?) in order for it to maintain a radial pattern while gliding back. I lost my first one because when it reached altitude, it seem to just keep climbing... and flew away...
Would I need a physical weight, or just alot of glue (say a rather larger than normal fillet), or what? What (or where)is the best place to mount it?

Thanks in advance!!!

Steward,

That is a NICE looking CiCi!

Rob Edmonds recommends no paint and no trim weight on the CiCi; he said he's never been able to build one so symmetrical that it flies in a straight line. But the weight that seems to be generally used for trimming gliders is clay weight stuck to one of the joints on one side of the glider or the other.

The two I've flown have turned in nice big circles, so I haven't had to worry about losing them (yet).

If you had seen the great flight of my 1st CiCi, it caught a thermal and well... just never looked back. It was gaining altitude as it flew away in a perferct straight line... and that was on a A8-3.
I know I shouldn't have painted it... but I think in the back of mind maybe it would be heavy enough to hang around...LOL
I'll fly it Saturday... I'll post the results and maybe some pictures.

Steward

Back