Ebay user name change??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vance in AK

Reaction score
I know alot of ebay hoaxes go around so I figured I better check.
Got an email from them today saying that my user name was being changed because it was my emai address.
They gave me a new user name that I could keep or change, my choice.
Is this lagit? Anyone else get this?
Thanks.

I think so,for about two months every time I logged on to Ebay,it prompted me to change my username,which was also my email.It would say if I did'nt change by the end of the year they would change it for me.I changed it ,I would have to say its legit!

I would contact EBAY before replying. Use their 'live help' function to speak to a live person via instant messaging.

I stupidly answered one of those emails that LOOKED legit, and some schmo changed my EBAY password, and locked me out. It took a few days of my steadily bugging EBAY to get it all straightened out. Thank God the hi-jacker did not bid or try tel sell some crap during the few days that I was locked out.

Astronboy,

I would be more worried about identity theft. Did you fill out any type of web form or send any personal info when you replied to the bogus email? I'd get a credit report either way.

I haven't replied at all. Here's a part of their letter.

"eBay is constantly working to provide a safer and easier trading experience for our members. In our ongoing efforts to prevent unsolicited and possibly fraudulent email, we have decided to allow only User IDs that do not include an email address. This policy takes effect immediately.
Your User ID includes an email address, and must now be changed. To avoid any interruption in your ability to trade on eBay, we have chosen a temporary User ID for you:".

They aren't asking for any responce, just telling me they changed my name. From what Rockethitman said it sounds like it's probably legit I guess.

Vance, I too had the same e-mail from e-bay. My I.D. was my e-mail address also. I changed and haven't had any problems sofar.

I also received the scam letter from whoever stating that they needed all my info(bank numbers and such) looked just an e-bay page...But that was way before I changed. Also got one from them right after I changed also.

Bottom line is that they want you to change so you don't receive scam letters I think....hope this helps.....Marty

This is one is legit. If you go to www.ebay.com, then follow the link to community, then link to general announcements, you will see the announcement dated January 16, 2004.

I agree with Martin, there are so many fraudulant spoof and phishing e-mails out there that I'm sure they are trying to reduce the communication of registered user e-mails. The catch 22 is that they need to send an e-mail in order to do it, which--given the climate--is going to look suspicious.

Best bet is to not reply to the e-mail, but go directly to eBay and change your userID. That way your protected in case some spoofer is using this new policy as a way of getting your info.

George
ghp3

The fake ones that DON'T come from Ebay are called "SPOOFS"

I had a couple of those...

sandman

Back