eBay tip

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtomko

Reaction score
I don't mean to gloat about this, but I just received a sealed Estes Shuttle stack that I won on eBay for . . . $9.99! (OK, shipping was an extra $6). I was the only bidder. How did this happen? Well, it was listed as an "Esters shuttle model." I searched under "shuttle model" and couldn't believe there were no other bidders with 1 day left - there was a photo, too.
I've gotten several great deals like this - two used shuttle stacks (only one orbiter - the basis for my Energia Buran) for $5; an "Esestes" Saturn V for $19.99 a few years ago; an Estes Mercury "Altas" for $15.99. So, when you search, look generically; you never know.
Drew Tomko

Originally posted by dtomko
I don't mean to gloat about this, but I just received a sealed Estes Shuttle stack that I won on eBay for . . . $9.99! (OK, shipping was an extra $6). I was the only bidder. How did this happen? Well, it was listed as an "Esters shuttle model." I searched under "shuttle model" and couldn't believe there were no other bidders with 1 day left - there was a photo, too.
I've gotten several great deals like this - two used shuttle stacks (only one orbiter - the basis for my Energia Buran) for $5; an "Esestes" Saturn V for $19.99 a few years ago; an Estes Mercury "Altas" for $15.99. So, when you search, look generically; you never know.
Drew Tomko

Looks like you've got a good few deals there ! You wouldnt happen to have any photos of the Shuttle would you ?
-Karl

Do you mean the sealed one I just won? I can take a few photos, but it's the last release packaging.
DT

dtomko makes a valuable observation here----
I have found lots of stuff on ebay by trying 'unconventional' searches to try to cover all the possible mis-spellings that might get in the way. I have found a few goodies too (boy, there are LOTS of people out there who can't spell!), but the most sure-fire way to catch these odd listings is to take the time, sit down and simply plow through all the items listed in a particular category. It is time consuming, it is certainly patience consuming, and it only covers 99 percent of the listings (there will always be a few leakers who get incorrectly posted to other categories). But it works.

Yep the one you've jus won off ebay please :)
-Karl

Powderburner, you said it! Sometimes you get lucky and a standard search turns up something. Yes, it is amazing how much misspelling you see! I'm a teacher and I'm both appalled and, well, now, sort of happy:rolleyes:
Karl, will post a pic tonight.
DT

About 3 weeks ago, I was searching Ebay and found a set of 7 Estes Motor Mount kits from the 80's for 10 bucks - as a buy it now.

Needless to say, I got carpal tunnel clicking the button so fast...8)

GREAT FIND Drew !!

Persistence seems to be the key. One of my best finds lately was an Estes Nike-Apache, X-15, and a Rainmaker for $66 delivered. Oh, did I mention it also included a never used Fin Alignment Guide not very well advertised? Sold it recently for over $50! I love ebay...

MetMan

Hmmmmm looks nice , so the little plane comes off at ejection , and glides?
-Karl

Yep, the orbiter separates and glides (not well) back. The ET and SRBs unit stays together and comes back on an 18" parachute. The orbiter is pretty toy-like because the wings are way out of scale, but it makes a nice model and is a crowd pleaser.
DT

I'll second that statement about it being a crowd pleaser. In October, I finally took mine out to our club meet for its first flight after years of building it on again, off again. People were coming over just to stare at it and say yeah, I've still got one of those in the bag, never had time to build it, I'll get to it someday, etc. But it got a lot of praise and attention for sure. The first flight however, was a different story. It flew up about 60 ft and then keeled over and flew sideways for a couple hundred ft and then the ejection charge blew right before it hit the ground, so the orbiter never seperated. Angle of launc rod and windy conditions could be to blame, but I understand from others this is common with the shuttle. There was some damage which actually I just finished repairing last night in anticipation of trying again this weekend at our GSSS club launch. So, wish me luck!

Glenn

I've flown mine 12 times. Ut always does the "throttle up" roll maneuver that the real one does. Maybe one of the flaps is a bit higher than the other. It has only actually glided *normally* once. It usually just flitters down or sticks to the booster.

Flight 11 actually lawn darted and started a small brush fire. I have repainted it and replaced one of the rear orbiter brackets with balsa and a wood dowel as the orig was too melted. It flew nominally on flight 12.

It sure is a crowd pleaser.

How do you guys position the stabilizer fins? It seems to work best with them in an "X" pattern. Instructions don't say.

Oh, one of those darn stab fins always breaks. I'm gonna make a clear set anyway.

-Chr$

I set it in an X; I think that's how it looked in the instructions. I've flown mine a few times, with widely varying results! The first flight the SRBs came off (I only used white glue) and the rest just hung in mid air, then fell gently to the ground, after which the parachute ejected! Since epoxying the SRBs it's flown straight up, straight then horizontal, and in a serious arch. I have seen conversions to D engines (that's what I'm doing with the Energia conversion) and that seems a more reasonable motor, but stabiltiy is always tricky with the off center engine mount. I'm going to stash this latest one I won since it's sealed.
DT

Drew,

Have you tried flying it with the Aerotech 18mm hardware ?

I ask only because over at EMRR the flight logs seem to lean towards an 18mm D as making this rocket fly properly. Seems to me that the C6-3 is underpowered for this combo.

Cheers,

R.S.,
No I haven't tried the 18mm Aerotech motors. I confess to being a mid and high power virgin! D is the largest motor I've ever used. Yes, the shuttle is underpowered with a C. It's not one I fly very often, however.
Drew

Drew,

Same here on being a mid/high power virgin. I got that collection of mid power E, F and G single use Aerotech engines from my local Hobby Store as a gift, and just recently bought the Aerotech launch control. Maybe in 2 years I'll have enough saved to get a launch tower. *sigh*

I've been saving for set of Aerotech 18 mm hardware, just for the Shuttle I've got here.

On a similar note, now that I have the 1/77th scale Balsa Shuttle to build, I'm leaning towards creating a ET and SRB's from scratch. *shivers*...this one will be hell to build..the directions alone give me acid-reflux. 8)

I was leaning towards servos and the like, but have come to the realization that that is beyond my wallet, and means. So, she'll be an oversized glider..*holds breath*

Cheers my friend,

Well, we can all wish Aerotech will someday produce their Single use 18mm D motors again. I have no idea what is involved with a reload system in terms of how it works, how expensive, etc. But you can count me in as one who feels the shuttle is underpowered on a c6-3. Nonetheless, I am still going to try it at least one more time!

Glenn

I just had to tack my own tip onto this thread.

Never, ever, ever bid on something unless it EXPLICITLY shows shipping charges. I got burned by a bozo who wanted me to pay him $40 to ship a model kit. I talked him down to "only" $20 (it was a big kit, but postage was only $8 anyway). That was the last time I ever bid on anything without shipping charges clearly stated in the auction.

Never, ever, ever bid on something unless it EXPLICITLY shows shipping charges.

I absolutely have to agree with that one!!

Although...my first win on Ebay was for "Star Wars Rocket Stuff"
I won at a bid of $.99!

Shipping was $11!

I got: 4 packs of C6-3's, Body tubes and fins sets for 4 Star Wars "smething or others" the launch probes, 4 Star Wars Parachutes, 4 Star Wars launch pad, launch controllers, deflector plates and launch rods. and a whole bunch of misc. junk the guy just wanted to get rid of.

sandman

Back