ebay score. This should keep me busy for a while.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OG1959

Reaction score
Just scored four sealed Estes rocket kits on ebay for $72 shipped. Retail value about $112.

Savage 2 stage, Supernova 2 stage, Protostar and Conquest.
Who has built any of these? Any info or pitfalls to avoid in the builds? Tell me about your launches etc. ;)

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 137
Nice collection. The Conquest is challenging.

Plenty written about all of those rockets if you search here. I know there were at least a couple of build threads on the Conquest.

Super Nova is a pretty straightforward direct-staging two-stager once you get your head wrapped around putting the Alpha-shaped fins on backward on the booster. That does make for reliable tumble recovery of the booster when flown with both stages.

I really like the launch pad POV shots with the sun back light! Looking forward to the two stage launches and the challenges of the Conquest.

Protostar: Those nosecones glued to the end of the fins are very prone to breaking off upon landing. With mine, I had superglue gell'ed them on, figuring better to have them pop off like the fin pods do on my Estes Interceptor (I just glue them back on and keep flying). Wrong. The fin pods breaking off is a massive pain to repair.

So I'd recommend epoxying them on instead.

Protostar: Those nosecones glued to the end of the fins are very prone to breaking off upon landing. With mine, I had superglue gell'ed them on, figuring better to have them pop off like the fin pods do on my Estes Interceptor (I just glue them back on and keep flying). Wrong. The fin pods breaking off is a massive pain to repair.

So I'd recommend epoxying them on instead.
Epoxy and CA will crack after they cure. I think yellow glue is better, especially with TB Q&T as fillets. Just my opinion on the best glue… :)

Epoxy and CA will crack after they cure. I think yellow glue is better, especially with TB Q&T as fillets. Just my opinion on the best glue… :)
For attaching the fins to the body, sure, I did that. I'm talking attaching plastic nosecones on the tips of the balsa fins. Doubt yellow glue will do that well.

For attaching the fins to the body, sure, I did that. I'm talking attaching plastic nosecones on the tips of the balsa fins. Doubt yellow glue will do that well.
My Protostar survived a partially collapsed chute landing with the epoxied on pods intact so my vote is epoxy over CA.

Back