Ebay says the estes Thunderstar is hazardous.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LtSharpe

Reaction score
Their email to me is below. This is the first one I've had where they canceled a rocket listing. I had them cancel one for a ww1 trench knife once because some single celled organism thought you could open it single handed which I explained would be nearly impossible for a normal human being.
(If anyone is interested I have a nother thunderstar listed now for only 14.95 with a slightly different title) Search by seller for Electrohermit and you'll find my listings.

Dear electrohermit,

**PLEASE READ THIS IMPORTANT EMAIL REGARDING YOUR LISTING(S)**

We appreciate that you chose eBay to list the following listing(s):

5990398429 - Estes Model Rocket Kit - Thunderstar CLUSTER Power!

However, your listing(s) violates eBay's Hazardous Items policy and has been removed. In accordance with our User Agreement, items prohibited by law or by eBay policy are not allowed on eBay. We have credited all associated fees to your account and notified eBay users associated with the transaction that it has been cancelled.

Fireworks or pyrotechnic devices may not be listed on eBay. These items are heavily regulated or banned in most states, and postal regulations prohibit shipping these items through the postal system. Under California law, fireworks include any device containing chemical elements and chemical compounds capable of burning independently of the oxygen of the atmosphere and producing audible, visual, mechanical, or thermal effects which are useful as pyrotechnic devices or for entertainment. Pyrotechnic devices include any combination of materials, including pyrotechnic compositions, which, by the agency of fire, produce an audible, visual, mechanical or thermal effect designed and intended to be useful for industrial, agricultural, personal safety, or educational purposes. For more information on Hazardous Items visit the following Help page:

https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/hazardous-materials.html

Please note: violation of this or other eBay policies may result in forfeit of eBay fees on cancelled listings, limits on account privileges and account suspension.

Please review eBay's Prohibited and Restricted Items guidelines and User Agreement at the following locations:

https://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/item_allowed.html
https://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/user-agreement.html

For more information on why eBay removeslistings, or to write to us with questions, please review the following Web page:

https://pages.ebay.com/help/confidence/listing-ended.html

We thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Regards,

eBay Trust & Safety

Your listing probably got pulled because of the words "rocket" and or "cluster" in the title.

I would contact ebay and explain the situation. Get a response first.

What ever you do, don't relist or you may get suspended. Get the matter cleared up first.

Then remove the words in the title, and put in a disclaimer in the description.

hmmm, were you selling any motors?

I doubt that you were selling motors with it (I figure you know better than that)

The rocket by itself can't do anything. Since motors are not included, it is perfectly legal.

I would reply that it is not illegal since it has no propellant. If that doesn't work, remove the ad, and repost it with a title similar to the other thunderstar

I reworded it and put something to hte effect of No Engines Ebay! in the description as well...sigh.

No I would not sell engines, for awhile a lot of sellers did sell them in starter kits because no one wants to rip open a new kit to take the **** motors out.. but now most take them out. YOu still see motors on ebay as part of rocketry lots because 99 percent of the pop has no clue you can't legally ship motors without a permit.

Of course if one wants to debate the law you could say that the way the same package is handled either shipped by a normal human or one with a permit is exactly the same except legally it has to say Toy Propellant on the box.... I would never ship motors, I like freedom too much....

Originally posted by GL-P
hmmm, were you selling any motors?

I doubt that you were selling motors with it (I figure you know better than that)

The rocket by itself can't do anything. Since motors are not included, it is perfectly legal.

I would reply that it is not illegal since it has no propellant. If that doesn't work, remove the ad, and repost it with a title similar to the other thunderstar

(biting tongue...)

Mustn't say it... mustn't say the obvious....

Bennett will sue me again.... MUSTN'T SAY IT...

Dangerous, Thunderstar, used together in title of post... can't resist... CAN'T RESIST!!!!!

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!

Being a seller on Ebay for over 4 years, I have talked, emailed and argued over rockets for years. the only sure fire way to make sure your add is not pulled is to include something along these lines

Please Note This Item Contains NO Motors/Engines Or Any Propellant Device.

Havent had an add pulled since Ive done that.

Back