eBay Reverse Insanity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe_Shockcord

Reaction score
A mint-in-sealed-box, first edition Estes Citation Quasar just sold on eBay for a high bid of $301:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Es...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

THREE HUNDRED AND ONE DOLLARS...for plastic and cardboard.

That is as crazy proportionally as to what people pay for cars at a Barrett-Jackson auction. But admittedly, if I were sitting on an insane amount of money I'd pay that amount too. The first-gen Quasar was my first rocket and I have always wanted another. Yes, I have built clones from Alpha III parts and Excelsior wraps, but those don't come anywhere as close to having an actual chrome-plated version again.

It sure would be nice if some rocket company (Estes? Semroc?...Bueller?) saw some potential here and produced an exact replica with chrome parts and clipped fins. I couldn't pay $300 for it but I would certainly and gladly pay $35.

Opinions?

I have seen an Estes part# 2001 Saturn V go for over 500$, and the next week I got mine for under 100. Go figure. Also the Cox Saturn V's go for ridiculous amounts.

If you look up ebay in the dictionary it says "ridiculous"......

Yea, I don't get this thread. You have an exceedingly rare kit that was limited in production. I don't collect things like this to put it on a shelf, but some people do. If it's more than you're willing to spend on it, you just don't value it equally to the person who paid $300.

My point is if someone is willing to pay $300 for an original Quasar, don't you think there is a potential market for Estes/eRockets/Semroc, etc. to produce a reissue?

Where are all the suckers when I sell stuff on ebay!

Broke, or in trouble with the wife for spending too much on e-bay. That's just plain ridiculous. The Quasar is basically a chrome plated Alpha III. Take an Alpha III, clip the fins, paint the fin unit and nose cone with chrome paint, make a chrome wrap for the body tube and voila! Now you have a Quasar!

Back