Ebay in an Estes V2 nosecome

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocket2Russia

Reaction score
First off allow me to thank all the knowledgeable people who on a regular basis offer advice, guidance, and inspiration to us aspiring Jedis. May the Force always be with you.

John Coker in this video shows us how to install an electronics bay in a plastic nosecone. Today I ordered a Firefly altimeter and wondering if I can't buy a bulkhead and centering ring that are 56 mm wide and do the same thing as he does. If you haven't seen the video John cut the base off of a nosecone then epoxies basically what is a centering ring into the cavity of the nosecone. He then takes the bulkhead with a U bolt on it and attaches it to the centering ring already installed in the cone. I was wondering if this would work on an Estes V2. My Firefly, bulkhead, and centering ring will be about 21 grams. The clay Estes gives you to put in the nosecone is 7 grams. I think that adding an ebay this way will make my mini vengeance weapon into a disaster. Just about anyone here has more experience than I do so please feel free to chime in.
Thanks again,
[YOUTUBE]WDjgq0hfsgw[/YOUTUBE]

IMHO 21 grams is a little heavy for what you are trying to do.

Can you show a pic of the parts you intend to use and a diagram of the arrangement?

Greg

I will cut out the very base of the nosecone leaving the shoulder. I will then epoxy a centering ring inside the nosecone. After it cures I will mount via small screws a bulk head to the centering ring. I will mount my altimeter on the bulkhead. I can remove it from the centering ring by loosening the screws. I am copying John's idea in the above video verbatim. I found other bulkhead which is 9.3 grams. The centering ring is 3 and so is the Firefly. The new weight of the ebay with altimeter is 15.3 plus a couple of small screws and nuts let's call it 16 grams. The supplied nosecone clay is 7 grams and composite motors (based on my scale) are 2 grams heavier than the Estes cardboard motors. So I have 9 grams i need to put in the nosecone. At 16 grams I am nearly twice the suggested nosecone weight.

Here are my centering rings:
f623ed591c8e9b3d7e3a0980ecf40ca8.image.320x174.jpg

One ring will be permanently inserted into the base of the nosecone and the bulkhead will fasten to it via very small screws. The recovery system will connect to the eye bolt which will be at the base of the nosecone.

Here is my bulkhead:
af16ff8922df23a913a262f87315d875.image.320x186.jpg

Your pics didn't come across, so I will look at the video.

That said, does the Firefly require an av bay?

I think I did something similar on my Canadian Arrow (stretched V-2) nose cone. In hindsight it was too complicated and would go another direction if i had to do it over.

Greg

Your pics didn't come across, so I will look at the video.

That said, does the Firefly require an av bay?

I think I did something similar on my Canadian Arrow (stretched V-2) nose cone. In hindsight it was too complicated and would go another direction if i had to do it over.

Greg

I am sure that you can attach the Firefly to just about anything. The instructions suggest that you use it in a payload situation but it can be used dangling from the recovery system as well. Who makes the Arrow you have?

I am sure that you can attach the Firefly to just about anything. The instructions suggest that you use it in a payload situation but it can be used dangling from the recovery system as well. Who makes the Arrow you have?

Estes. The airframe is 2.60" OD.

Can.Arw.Estes.Instr.Headline.jpg

Here is it at a launch a while back. The motor was an AeroTech 24mm RMS, probably an E18.

CanArw.Liftoff.Wide.2011-03-12.jpg

5525414959_1d670c50a9_o.jpg

Greg

I jut bought this pre built with a minor bit of damage from a broken fin. I was thinking the same thing about an ebay in the nosecone with gps and telemetry. It is recommended for D motors in the instructions but I think I may just gut the back end and make it fly on 29 mm motors. \that way the added weight in the nose will balance out the electronics and structure in the nose.

Latest posts

Back