easy to make thrust rings

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsonly

Reaction score
Hey all. Have anyone of you all tried cutting a used rocket motor for use as a thrust ring? I'm not sure if it works with composite motors, but it sure does work for the BP motors. The other day my TARC team and I realized we didn't have anymore thrust rings, so we decided to cut little rings out of a used motor. It worked great!

Yep I use spent motors as thrust rings , or if in short supply ,cut 1/2 a " of the motor tube , and make it into a coupler like you would. Then slide it inside and glue :)
Karl

Yeah, I've done this. Works a treat, even with composites. Don't try it with an R.M.S ;)

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Hey all. Have anyone of you all tried cutting a used rocket motor for use as a thrust ring? I'm not sure if it works with composite motors, but it sure does work for the BP motors. The other day my TARC team and I realized we didn't have anymore thrust rings, so we decided to cut little rings out of a used motor. It worked great!

Engine spacers that come with some kits are even better. They're usually thinner and so easier to work with.

Some are just too thin though. Those are for gluing into your engine tube ahead of your block, to take the ejection charge blast so your engine tube doesn't get e't up.

Also works: a 1/2" slice of body tube, same size as your engine tube, sliced down the side, overlapped, inserted into the engine tube and marked for the proper overlap distance. Remove and glue, and it's ready to use.

For LPR rockets, a thin strip of card stock paper rolled up works very well too. I got the idea for doing that afte building a few of Art Applewhite's products...

Few things.

Single use 29mm motors will work but you have to epoxy the ring into place.

I've used some spent 24mm motors for "E" to "D" spacers just peel a layer of paper off so they slip in easier.

A bandsaw works great but be careful not to cut the clay (wrecks the set on the blade).

If you are sending anything to a foreign country DON'T USE THEM! The residue from the spent black powder may trigger an alarm somewhere!

24mm motor cases also work as 18mm to 24mm centering rings.

sandman

I wrap black tape around the aft end of the motor then stick it in that way i can use the mmt for any motor and i dont have to worry about it

I do that sometimes , wrap a few layers of tape around the aft end of the motor ( the end where the nozzle is ) , about 1/4 - 1/2 " from the bottom , so that acts as it's thrust ring.
Karl

Karl I do that sometimes , wrap a few layers of tape around the aft end of the motor ( the end where the nozzle is ) , about 1/4 - 1/2 " from the bottom , so that acts as it's thrust ring.

Hey, that's a cool idea. Will that also work for G motors?

Yeah it should, ive seen a project where it was used on a O motor so it should be more than fine on a G motor. I witnessed a launch if a I220 or something like that, it would have worked fine had the rocket not shredded.

Originally posted by rocketsonly
Hey, that's a cool idea. Will that also work for G motors?

Yeah...it works. I've used 1/2" wide masking tape on E15's, E30's, F25's and 50's (including a couple old RocketFlite Silver Streaks in a LOC 429SS), G40's and 80's, an H220 Smokey Sam, and a couple I160's. I usually wrap it to match the thickness of the motor tube, insert the motor (usually with a wrap or two of 3/4" tape to give it a snug fit), then a couple very tight wraps of 3/4" tape overlapping the tape thrust ring and the motor tube.

Never lost a motor...knock wood :D

Back