Easy Research Rocketry - 29mm Research Hardware and 3d printed Items!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patelldp

Reaction score
Hello!

We are Easy Research Rocketry, specializing in MPR to HPR Research Rocketry motors.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/EasyResearchRocketry

29mm motors are the most popular entry point into MPR and HPR commercial motors, so why can't they also be a great entry point for Research? Our line of snap ring motors are a great way to get started in Research rocketry on a budget while having a great time doing it! Picture smaller versions of your Kosdon, Gorilla, AMW, or Loki hardware complete with graphite nozzle, aluminum case and bulkhead, and inclusive of snap rings, nozzle washer, and a few spare o-rings.

We offer motors in grain increments much like the Pro motors currently offered to commercial motor consumers. Our motors use commonly available (and cheap) BT-50 or BT-50H from Balsa Machining as liner tube and BT-50 coupler as casting tubes. Our motors are made to order so if you'd like a different nozzle throat or different grain length than we offer by default, please let us know!!!

We have also gone through the effort of purchasing a 3d printer and offer products manufactured on it. These products include cutting and drilling guides for 29mm and 38mm propellant grains, electronics plates, and 29 mm cone fin units for small field flying. Look for us to expand our offerings into different sizes of these items, such as 3" and 4" altimeter plates and 38mm cone fin assemblies!

We're also the home of the OOPS! discount! If you ever CATO one of our motors, send us a picture and a description of what happened and you'll get a 10% discount off of the replacement motor. We know the challenge involved with EX motors and want to get you back in the saddle to try again!

The goal of this husband-and-wife duo is to offer innovative, compelling, and gap-filling products to the rocketry masses. I've been making 29mm Research motors for my own use for over a decade and have always enjoyed them. I hope that you all give them a chance whether you're entering the Research side of Rocketry or you're looking to put your bowl scrapings to good use!

For Rocketeers, by Rocketeers. Please check out our website, send me a private message, or send me an e-mail at [email protected]. Thanks for looking!!!

- Dan and Kahli Patell (Ryan and Eli for moral support and filling diapers)

I225.jpg29_2G_11.jpg5G-1.jpg5G-5.jpg29mm_Fin_Cone - 1.jpg54mm Altimeter Plate - 1.jpg

Last edited:
Dan, does your 29mm motors & coring tools work with the casting sets available from Loki?

Al,

That I do not know, Loki offered 29mm motors the better part of a decade ago. I do know that one of my customers successfully used Loki 29mm propellant inside of my motors at URRF this year. PM/text me if you'd like to discuss further!!!

I've had the pleasure of flying Dan's hardware and motors for a good bit of time now. Excellent work and he's been very helpful and responsive whenever I've made orders.

I grabbed a 29/ 3 grain motor last summer that I need to get off my butt and cast some grains for :)

(I need to take some better photos of it too....)

27784877082_21b0fc8f81.jpg

I plan to start introducing some of my products in this thread for your viewing pleasure.

Anyone who bought a Blackhawk29, Mongoose29, Go Devil 29, or built a scratch 29mm minimum diameter rocket all share this common problem: where do you mount the shock cord in the booster when using motor ejection motors?

Simple! You install one of these:

Comes complete with the 3D printed anchor and #10 eyebolt and hardware for only $6. Simply epoxy into place or drill through your tube and into the anchor if you wish for it to be removable.

Check it out on my page!

Dan- any thoughts of changing the eyebolt on the MD anchor to a forged closed one?

Dan- any thoughts of changing the eyebolt on the MD anchor to a forged closed one?

Really not necessary for a 29mm rocket, in my opinion. 1/4-20 (the smallest forged on the street) would barely fit and be pretty heavy.

You could replace the provided bent eyebolt with a welded one from AeroPack if you were really concerned.

Those cases are so nice! Are they stainless? Are those graphite nozzles?
Boy I wish I could buy one!

Those cases are so nice! Are they stainless? Are those graphite nozzles?
Boy I wish I could buy one!

6061-T6 aluminum case and bulkhead, graphite nozzle.

Thanks for the compliment! They're a lot of fun to fly.

You should buy one. Seriously, very fun motors and cheap to make grains for. I need to order a couple other sizes, but need to wait a little bit.

I already have a bunch of 29mm motors that I bought and have not flown, heck I have not flown in just over a year now. I have been ground testing my own EX engines though...
Someday...

...but need to wait a little bit.
But they are so shinyyyyyy!

if you're really worried about the eye bolt, I got this welded one from Teddy...
VsO0sBbaroqJJjVCXRjBvbJ8gXUYvlAD8abQ226Wr-h4x4pEXUhBTSstoYMTs9_fi83qKKd10JknWWGdoSPdnE58wLIuWktkJTuAS03f-FH9FT63j4yBeojWqIQXBzafyimd0k8T_78uPo0fIEya27YO1Txj_ZgEBOsyjtUIIDN-4wCsgo8TgrFyrxyoSh_Aq3RqGpbFjDpN2zycPmBmNfl-shYGcp4b9zexYfkeah-h4kdyqhLOCUjn7NQKFHrBTp0EcFG-RKoS_B0SG94OrRBtBEXjOgJRteLTUGnh_8WQuFGyoTLDMafnCFQqDYGp8PQ_1yLPzhQ0Qp1aZU38w6HATNmbumL-8pEZROSyuD2BrpF5XnyQ-Y1HizYIJiPe6JrMHAPg0Jmm-s6gvdDev1oTyXlPhOKrU7VdxWOz1tLBkmbw_ATPghJgvNAnjKaYo5eeitfXaWIeitogSymA_Ja6ih3SbC5YV9uvalLmEkqXc4NCk69l4YfuNKie7UUXQ95hUnxB0cb50Doj5TsvJRSMEkw6NMbyLJUwhebYqnIdPmfUzZ2lAigfmTWR3NtlyzgLSvPBX4KvKEkkpIRJVWteK84hELfqer-Y_7chKDJWDiWl=w766-h432-no

Something I saw on the Etsy site that bears mentioning here, it sounds like these 29mm cases will also work with the propellant sticks available from RCS... so you don't even have to get into the mixing side in order to try your hand at EX.

Dan, can you please confirm?

Thanks!
Erik

Something I saw on the Etsy site that bears mentioning here, it sounds like these 29mm cases will also work with the propellant sticks available from RCS... so you don't even have to get into the mixing side in order to try your hand at EX.

Dan, can you please confirm?

Thanks!
Erik

Erik,

That's corrrect. The ID of my hardware is identical or very close to Aerotech, their liner fits like a glove inside the case.

The nozzle and bulkhead steps do not fit the liner stock out of the box. You'll have to sand the ID of the liner if you wish to use the Aerotech grains with Aerotech liner.

Erik,

That's corrrect. The ID of my hardware is identical or very close to Aerotech, their liner fits like a glove inside the case.

The nozzle and bulkhead steps do not fit the liner stock out of the box. You'll have to sand the ID of the liner if you wish to use the Aerotech grains with Aerotech liner.

Thanks for the confirmation. I have a friend whom I may be borrowing your cases from, if I remember correctly. Otherwise I'll probably be back in touch. :)

It's odd, what you say about the stock AT liners not fitting out of the box. Looking at the dimensions on the RCS and BMC websites, both show ID as 0.950", so I would think they're interchangeable, but perhaps the tolerances are slightly different. Or are you referring to the RCS phenolic liners, which have a slightly smaller ID (0.937")?

Thank you!
-e

Thanks for the confirmation. I have a friend whom I may be borrowing your cases from, if I remember correctly. Otherwise I'll probably be back in touch. :)

It's odd, what you say about the stock AT liners not fitting out of the box. Looking at the dimensions on the RCS and BMC websites, both show ID as 0.950", so I would think they're interchangeable, but perhaps the tolerances are slightly different. Or are you referring to the RCS phenolic liners, which have a slightly smaller ID (0.937")?

Thank you!
-e

The phenolic. I don't have any AT loads with paper liners to check. My bulkhead steps are 0.943".

The AT grains are .933 od for phenolic liners. if you roll wide masking tape on AT grains they will fit nicely in the BT50H tube and work with Patell MFG hardware. I haven't used the AT propellant but I have used the same diameter grains this way.

Last edited:
The AT grains are .933 od for phenolic liners. if you roll wide masking tape on AT grains and they will fit nicely in the BT50H tube and work with Patell MFG hardware. I haven't used the AT propellant but I have used the same diameter grains this way.

Thank you Riley, you are the expert on the subject!

It took me long enough, but I finally tossed together my LOC Ultimate in preparation for airstarts! Here's the tail end showing off 5x Easy Research Rocketry 2G motors. I suppose I should turn up some nozzles and make some propellant for next year!

sTtvWbzl.jpg

Back