Easy Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
To be completely honest, I got tired of reading threads with no luck. Simple question.

Does the Jolly Logic Chute Release require a vent hole like altimeters?

My gut says yes. How else can it measure its altitude? But confirmation would be appreciated.

Nope, it measures on the pad (or before when you power it on) which will equalize even without holes, unless you have a wicked-tight assembly. After ejection at apogee it is out in the open and can read alt there.

Then again, maybe I'm misunderstanding the question...

I would think you would want a vent hole to keep the pressure equalized so that the rocket does not separate prematurely before apogee.

It's almost impossible to make a payload bay so airtight that an apogee-only detection device won't work. You DO need the vent holes for recording altimeters to get an accurate flight profile, and you DO need a vent in your payload bay if you're flying near Mach, especially with VMax or ST motors, because the high acceleration can cause a premature deployment due to the pressure difference between the inside and outside if the trapped air can't vent out fast enough.

All correct. Strictly speaking, no vent needed just for Chute Release. But if you also have a recording altimeter, it will need vents. And any vents you need to maintain fuselage pressure equilibrium, as noted.

I have two love them! Going to get two more. Let a guy use one last weekend (Tripoli Ft. Myers) with some great looking Estes kit bash. With G80. First flight without 1/2 mile + landing. Second flight < 50 yards.
Bill

Back