Easy mini problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jowayen

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
1650930705735.png

This graph above is from this past Saturday (4/23/22) as I was about to attempt my Level2. I used this altimeter 5 times last year and that was all (hence flight #6).
I placed the rocket on the rail and turned on my main altimeter (not pictured), waited for beeps, and then turned on this easy mini #6221 for a back-up and listened for beeps. All seemed well with both so I proceeded to install the igniter. I was on one knee with one hand on the nozzle of a J275 and I was inserting the igniter.
Suddenly there were two very loud "pops" and I couldn't get the (EXPLICATIVE) away fast enough. So after the gathering of everything, then the long walk-of-shame up the hill, I unpacked and pulled out the E-bay. Sure enough, the back-up easy mini no longer had charges. It had just fired the main and then the apogee charge while on the rail. Graph above (flight #6).

So I already had the motor reload in the case, and I'm not sure I could make it to another launch until June, so I decided to take a chance and go with a single armed and active altimeter. Mind you, the back-up altimeter #6221 was left in the rocket and went along for the ride - no charges attached. At this point I wanted to see if it would repeat the error/issue. Back to the pad and up on the rail she went. Altimeters switched on and all beeped the same as the first try. 3,220 feet later and I passed L2 cert.
Same temps, same breeze, same high cloud cover, even same orientation on the launch rail (lugs to the south side) as nobody else launched between my attempts.

Below is a graph of that next flight (flight #7) from that same easy mini #6221 maybe 45 minutes later. Battery voltages read the same. Only difference was that there were no initiators wired in to the back-up and no black powder in the charge wells. I don't trust that easy mini anymore - or the 2nd one I have. Such a shame, too. Only 7 flights.

1650932287680.png

Attachments

• 1650930748374.png
    1650930748374.png
    433.2 KB · Views: 0
Hate it when stuff like that happens, besides the scare.
A buddy I fly with has had an Eggtimer Quark set off the charges shortly after turning it on.
Two flights on it and that altimeter is now removed from service.

Congrats on over coming the set-back and getting your L2.

It's why I use Eggtimer WiFi switches with altimeters as much as possible (or Quantums), assuming I have room in the AV-Bay. Ideally, also if I have the room, I use hard switches for powering up the WiFi switches (or Quantum) and then the WiFi to fire up the altimeters. No like going boom on the rail...

View attachment 515901

This graph above is from this past Saturday (4/23/22) as I was about to attempt my Level2. I used this altimeter 5 times last year and that was all (hence flight #6).
I placed the rocket on the rail and turned on my main altimeter (not pictured), waited for beeps, and then turned on this easy mini #6221 for a back-up and listened for beeps. All seemed well with both so I proceeded to install the igniter. I was on one knee with one hand on the nozzle of a J275 and I was inserting the igniter.
Suddenly there were two very loud "pops" and I couldn't get the (EXPLICATIVE) away fast enough. So after the gathering of everything, then the long walk-of-shame up the hill, I unpacked and pulled out the E-bay. Sure enough, the back-up easy mini no longer had charges. It had just fired the main and then the apogee charge while on the rail. Graph above (flight #6).

So I already had the motor reload in the case, and I'm not sure I could make it to another launch until June, so I decided to take a chance and go with a single armed and active altimeter. Mind you, the back-up altimeter #6221 was left in the rocket and went along for the ride - no charges attached. At this point I wanted to see if it would repeat the error/issue. Back to the pad and up on the rail she went. Altimeters switched on and all beeped the same as the first try. 3,220 feet later and I passed L2 cert.
Same temps, same breeze, same high cloud cover, even same orientation on the launch rail (lugs to the south side) as nobody else launched between my attempts.

Below is a graph of that next flight (flight #7) from that same easy mini #6221 maybe 45 minutes later. Battery voltages read the same. Only difference was that there were no initiators wired in to the back-up and no black powder in the charge wells. I don't trust that easy mini anymore - or the 2nd one I have. Such a shame, too. Only 7 flights.

View attachment 515905
I had the same thing happen to me with the EasyMini last June. I had to take the rocket down because there was a loose ejection charge wire. However, back in camp I reconnected the wire then turned it on to check that everything was connected properly when the drogue charge went off. Then the main charge went off a second later into my chest. I immediately took it out of service and emailed the company. They had me send it back to them to test it and determined it was defective. They replaced it shortly afterwards.

Last edited:
It's why I use Eggtimer WiFi switches with altimeters as much as possible (or Quantums), assuming I have room in the AV-Bay. Ideally, also if I have the room, I use hard switches for powering up the WiFi switches (or Quantum) and then the WiFi to fire up the altimeters. No like going boom on the rail...

How does this help mitigate an altimeter malfunction?

Tried the buggy easy mini as suggested - hook up an E-match and powered up the unit while standing it vertically to simulate launch pad condition.
After 7 or 8 seconds the easy mini fired the e-match as if it reached apogee.
It was not moved after power-up. Didn't tip. Didn't fall. Didn't get blown by the wind. It was in the garage on the bench held vertical.

This unit definitely has a problem. It's only had 5 flights.

Tried the buggy easy mini as suggested - hook up an E-match and powered up the unit while standing it vertically to simulate launch pad condition.
After 7 or 8 seconds the easy mini fired the e-match as if it reached apogee.
It was not moved after power-up. Didn't tip. Didn't fall. Didn't get blown by the wind. It was in the garage on the bench held vertical.

This unit definitely has a problem. It's only had 5 flights.
You need to contact the company. They will give you a work number so you can return it for a new unit.

I had a similar event with redundant Easy Minis. I had prepped the avbay and charge pots (no BP yet, just e-matches) and walked over to a safe spot away from the prep area to power up the altimeters to check continuity. After power up I waited for the startup sequence to indicate continuity and ready for launch, which it did, as expected. However, several seconds later the drogue and main e-matches on one of the altimeters both popped sequentially, much to my surprise and others over in the prep area. Fortunately, the avbay was at arm's length, so no damage or injury, just a red face and a muttered "oops", or something similar, with as many letters!

I determined that this was not an altimeter failure because shortly after the powerup sequence had completed, an unexpected strong wind gust probably caused a sudden pressure change over the avbay vent holes, sufficient to fool the altimeter into thinking it had launched.

Prior to that event, and since, I have never had any issues with my Easy Minis.

You need to contact the company. They will give you a work number so you can return it for a new unit.
I was in contact with them. They asked that I try it again with e-matches. As post #6 says - it fired the altimeters again while in the garage.
The manufacturer asked for my flight eeprom's. I haven't heard from them since I sent them an e-mail with all 6 flights/lack of flights.
Confidence is very low with Altus Metrum products since I only had 5 flights with this product and now all crickets as far as communication..

I determined that this was not an altimeter failure because shortly after the powerup sequence had completed, an unexpected strong wind gust probably caused a sudden pressure change over the avbay vent holes, sufficient to fool the altimeter into thinking it had launched.

I see how that could happen but... did you read post #6?
I tested that altimeter again in the garage - no movement, no fan on, no wind, all doors closed.

After power up and then hearing all beeps as normal for "ready for flight" It fired the e-matches again.
I downloaded the flight log after these events. I have weird horizontal graphs that seem to have started recording a flight as soon as it was powered up.

I was in contact with them. They asked that I try it again with e-matches. As post #6 says - it fired the altimeters again while in the garage.
The manufacturer asked for my flight eeprom's. I haven't heard from them since I sent them an e-mail with all 6 flights/lack of flights.
Confidence is very low with Altus Metrum products since I only had 5 flights with this product and now all crickets as far as communication..

I see how that could happen but... did you read post #6?
I tested that altimeter again in the garage - no movement, no fan on, no wind, all doors closed.

After power up and then hearing all beeps as normal for "ready for flight" It fired the e-matches again.
I downloaded the flight log after these events. I have weird horizontal graphs that seem to have started recording a flight as soon as it was powered up.
It sounds like it is clear the device is defective. Perhaps a call and an email describing post #6 will get them to respond appropriately.

I've heard of ejection charges going off upon activating the altimeter because the power leads from the battery to the altimeter were reversed. Any chance?

Hi,

I haven't flown my 2 x Easymini V1 yet (I plan to on 18 Jun) but, I have tested them extensively, including in a controlled reduced air pressure (sealed glass jar with large syringe) and the Easyminis operate as expected and fire drogue/main at the appropriate times. My experience with the Altus Metrum team has been positive; I contacted them a month ago about the apogee delay bug and they acknowledged the imminent [now delivered] release.

And yes, Altus UI Version 1.9.11 has been released. I've updated the Easymini V1 Firmware and all appears to be working well. The updates include:

AltOS​

• Make Apogee Delay work again. [This is the bit I wanted]
  • Allow TX power to be limited to 10mW for compliance with some uses under UK regulations.
  • Fix numerous minor issues with 16- vs 32- bit time values.

AltosUI​

• Support M1-based Macs, follow AdoptOpenJDK to Adoptium

AltosDroid​

• Handle Bluetooth permissions reliably.
  • Fix some screen rotation bugs.
Hope that helps.

Back