easy fillets with West System Six10 thickened epoxy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's an update on my post #22.
Started sanding down the external fillets I did on Jan. 16th and found that the first one I did wasn't cured for the first couple of inches. Apparently I had not run out enough Thixo epoxy before I started to have a complete mix in the nozzle. I tried sanding it off, and only succeeded in clogging up the 80 grit sandpaper. So I ran a cone shaped bit down the groove until it was solid and cleaned it up:

closeup fillet.jpg

Then I hand mixed up a little more THIXO and redid the front of the fillet:
new fillet.jpg

I still haven't found anywhere I can buy the West Systems six10 epoxy, Walmart failed to deliver any, despite indicating it shipped two weeks ago.
If anyone has found this stuff available, I would appreciate a link.

Another product mentioned on TRF by @tjsnakez on the @UPscaler thread here is Evercoat glazing putty.: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/the-crazy-john.176649/#post-2374241

I'm using "Evercoat" on the vacuumed bagged fins here:

evercoat applied to side 2.jpg

I sanded it off using 80 and 120 grit sandpaper and found it to be really easy to work with. This is what it looked like after about 10 minutes of sanding:
finished side 2 with timer.2.jpg

I got four sides done today, and am waiting for that little bit of THIXO to cure so I can finish with the final coat of Evercoat tomorrow. Hopefully it will be ready for some primer tomorrow also. Weather is great this weekend, with lows in the 40's and highs in the 70's.

Last edited:
I love that 3M/Scotch Blue Sharp Lines #2093. Really, really like it. Going to audition the 3M auto finishing tape next as an A/B test. I anticipate a tie. Different tapes for different situations.

Definitely want to look at the SG of Evercoat and see how it works for me as a fairing/glazing material. Saw a pic of the finished product somewhere before this.... makes your heart hurt beautiful work. Well done.

I'm still searching for West Systems six10 adhesive. Found a place in Annapolis, MD that showed it in stock, so I ordered it on Feb. 4th and got an email on the 8th that it was out of stock....
Today I checked Amazon and found it in stock (theoretically) so ordered it again. This will be my fourth try.
In other news, I re applied the Everclear to fill some small pin holes that appeared in the last coat of filler primer.

evercoat reapplied.jpg
This was not a good idea, sanding it out was a mess, and I'm worse off than it was before.
Today I sanded it out again and added another coat of primer, much better this time. Might be ready for color this weekend.

I'm still searching for West Systems six10 adhesive. Found a place in Annapolis, MD that showed it in stock, so I ordered it on Feb. 4th and got an email on the 8th that it was out of stock....
Today I checked Amazon and found it in stock (theoretically) so ordered it again. This will be my fourth try.
In other news, I re applied the Everclear to fill some small pin holes that appeared in the last coat of filler primer.

View attachment 562586
This was not a good idea, sanding it out was a mess, and I'm worse off than it was before.
Today I sanded it out again and added another coat of primer, much better this time. Might be ready for color this weekend.
We attempted to fill holes in our brains with Everclear in college....

Hans.

We attempted to fill holes in our brains with Everclear in college....

Hans.
And how did that work out for you?
No,no,no....you created holes in your brains with Everclear in college...you attempted to fill the holes with something else....
Attempted being the definitive word here.
Bondo might work, applying it to the holes could be a problem though.
Bondo is putty that is used to repair cars.
Obviously Chuck wasn't using Everclear in college, or am I presuming too much?

Since once again another thread has been derailed here on TRF, it's probably futile to correct my mistake regarding Evercoat glazing putty:

evercoat.jpg

And how did that work out for you?

Attempted being the definitive word here.

Bondo might work, applying it to the holes could be a problem though.

Obviously Chuck wasn't using Everclear in college, or am I presuming too much?

Since once again another thread has been derailed here on TRF, it's probably futile to correct my mistake regarding Evercoat glazing putty:

View attachment 562624
I have used both Everclear and Evercoat, but I am a West Virginia University graduate so most of the "Everclear" was in a watermelon or grape cool-aid and often if came from a gallon jug and was the generic version from the county "distiller".

Back on topic, Evercoat is a great choice of the brand Bondo.

Finally got in a tube of West Systems six10 ordered through Amazon from Island Marine. Total cost was $59.79. Ordered on the 10th and delivered on the 15th.
I'm planning on building another 5" rocket this month, not sure when I will start, but will be updating this thread when I use it. Just the difference in price would give me pause, the Thixo cost $31.54 on Amazon Prime with no shipping costs.

Possible the Thixo might really be the same thing? Is it really OEM from the same company that makes Six10?

Not sure if they are, but they sound rather similar.

Wayco please let me know what you think of the Thixo compared to the six10.

Here's my update on that comparison.
Today I used the Six-10 epoxy for the first time. Started building a Madcow Avalanche for Sharon, she doesn't have time for building rockets, too busy making money. What's a fella to do?
Speed build!
Started at 8 am cleaning and sanding fins, Goof off for the sticky stuff:
Sand fins.jpg
Clean fins Goof off.jpg

Rounding off the edges:
Sand fins after.jpg

Sanding the MMT and fitting CR's:
Fin spacing on MMT.jpg

Slotting the forward CR and gluing in the Y harness:
Slot CR after.jpg
Gluing Y harness.jpg

Sanding slots and sticking fins:
Sanding Slots.jpg
2nd fin glue.jpg
Double butter fins:
double butter 2nd fin.jpg

Quick and easy fin alignment:
1st fin stuck.jpg

All fins stuck, time to cure in the sun:
Curing stuck fins 91.5.jpg

While that's setting up, I'm doing another little project for Sharon, fillets on her Wildman Sport.
Started at 9:45.
Sport.jpg

This is a timed event. First set done:
Sport first set.jpg

Second set half done, with smaller runs:
Sport 2nd set half done.jpg

Second set done
Sport 2nd set done.jpg
Third set done:
Sport 3rd set done.jpg

The Avalanche has cured for two hours, while I glued up the avbay lids and switchband:
Sanding switch band and Avbay lids.jpg
Gluing Avbay lids.jpg

Time to tape up the fillets:
Taping fillets.jpg

Neighbor called with a small emergency, and it took a bit of time sanding down all the valleys, but the first set of fillets were done by 12:37
1st set fillets.jpg
Second set done:
2nd set fillets done.jpg

Third set done, and everything back out in the sun to cure:
Curing fillets.jpg
The big difference in Thixo and Six 10 is curing time. Everything on this post was done in five hours, it took Thixo 24 hours to cure. I used one mixing tip for the whole project, and half a tube of Six 10. Most of my builds take weeks to finish, this one will be done next week.
Sharon got a bunch more work in today, I'm back in the office for a while, with a road trip sometime this week. I will be finishing up this project this weekend.

Attachments

• Curing Avalanche 103.jpg
    Curing Avalanche 103.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 0
Here's my update on that comparison.
Today I used the Six-10 epoxy for the first time. Started building a Madcow Avalanche for Sharon, she doesn't have time for building rockets, too busy making money. What's a fella to do?
Speed build!
Started at 8 am cleaning and sanding fins, Goof off for the sticky stuff:
View attachment 572937
View attachment 572938

Rounding off the edges:
View attachment 572939

Sanding the MMT and fitting CR's:
View attachment 572940

Slotting the forward CR and gluing in the Y harness:
View attachment 572941
View attachment 572942

Sanding slots and sticking fins:
View attachment 572943
View attachment 572944
Double butter fins:
View attachment 572945

Quick and easy fin alignment:
View attachment 572946

All fins stuck, time to cure in the sun:
View attachment 572957

While that's setting up, I'm doing another little project for Sharon, fillets on her Wildman Sport.
Started at 9:45.
View attachment 572958

This is a timed event. First set done:
View attachment 572959

Second set half done, with smaller runs:
View attachment 572960

Second set done
View attachment 572961
Third set done:
View attachment 572962

The Avalanche has cured for two hours, while I glued up the avbay lids and switchband:
View attachment 572963
View attachment 572964

Time to tape up the fillets:
View attachment 572965

Neighbor called with a small emergency, and it took a bit of time sanding down all the valleys, but the first set of fillets were done by 12:37
View attachment 572966
Second set done:
View attachment 572967

Third set done, and everything back out in the sun to cure:
View attachment 572969
The big difference in Thixo and Six 10 is curing time. Everything on this post was done in five hours, it took Thixo 24 hours to cure. I used one mixing tip for the whole project, and half a tube of Six 10. Most of my builds take weeks to finish, this one will be done next week.
Sharon got a bunch more work in today, I'm back in the office for a while, with a road trip sometime this week. I will be finishing up this project this weekend.
Thanks for the overview, very concise and informative.

I just ran across this thread and I'm always looking for something that makes using epoxy easier. I'm strictly low and low-mid power, but sometimes I need the extra strength of epoxy. Given my smaller needs, I wonder if anyone has tried this little kit:

https://www.amazon.com/Handy-Repair-Pack-West-System/dp/B012RYJHGE/ref=sr_1_3

New Handy Repair Pack West System 101 Repair Pack​

$21.73$21.73 ($6.79$6.79 / Ounce)
  • Everything you need to complete small repairs around the boat, shop or home.
  • Contains two WEST SYSTEM 105 Resin/205 Fast Hardener packets, and enough adhesive filler to complete a variety of coating and bonding operations.
  • West system
  • Included components: urea-resin-adhesives

For the ball on a stick spreader/former you can also buy a set of fondant tools that has multiple ball sizes. The link below is just one of many options on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Amytalk-Fondant-Decorating-Double-Modeling/dp/B07T33CWDF/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?keywords=fondant+tools+and+accessories&qid=1673678005&sr=8-3
I've seen your references to these before and it's intriguing. Can you tell us more about which tool(s) you use and maybe a video? It's not clear to me why these are better than a finger, but if they are and if I know how to use 'em, I'm in. Thank you.

I've seen your references to these before and it's intriguing. Can you tell us more about which tool(s) you use and maybe a video? It's not clear to me why these are better than a finger, but if they are and if I know how to use 'em, I'm in. Thank you.
They are not necessarily better than a finger, but they do allow for repeatable fillet size with less effort. I also try and avoid physical contact with the epoxy as much as possible even with gloves on. The ones I use are similar to these (might even be the same ones, the largest is about 3/4" diameter) https://www.amazon.com/BIGTEDDY-Modeling-Sculpting-Indentation-Decoration/dp/B079PR71CV/ref=sr_1_57?crid=9IROOFVIVBIY&keywords=fondant+tools&qid=1685830415&sprefix=fondant+,aps,219&sr=8-57

Back