Easy DIY Model Rocket Display stands - Save money to buy more rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sheepdog

Reaction score
Hello Rocketeers,
I recently posted this in the watering hole, this is where I should have posted it. Just a a little trick I developed to display all my rockets from low power to high power when required.You make this using Bass wood or Balsa along
with used rocket motors. So save them when you are done launching.

Step 1 - Measure and cut Balsa or bass wood to desired size, 1X1, 2X2, Etc. depending on the size of the rocket. In this example I am using a B size motor.
Step 2 - I then mark across the corners to determine the center.
Step 3 - I apply Elmers or CA glue to the bottom of the motor and center it on the base.
Step 4 - Paint it any color you desire
Step 5 - Mount and Display your rockets......

Display #1.JPG
Display #2.jpg
Display #3.jpg
Display 4.jpg

Hello Rocketeers,
I recently posted this in the watering hole, this is where I should have posted it. Just a a little trick I developed to display all my rockets from low power to high power when required.You make this using Bass wood or Balsa along
with used rocket motors. So save them when you are done launching.

Step 1 - Measure and cut Balsa or bass wood to desired size, 1X1, 2X2, Etc. depending on the size of the rocket. In this example I am using a B size motor.
Step 2 - I then mark across the corners to determine the center.
Step 3 - I apply Elmers or CA glue to the bottom of the motor and center it on the base.
Step 4 - Paint it any color you desire
Step 5 - Mount and Display your rockets......

View attachment 265132
View attachment 265133
View attachment 265134
View attachment 265135

I do this but with a much larger base, thicker, too. There seems to be a tendency for a rocket on a base to want to tip over when a fan or such is blowing. Heavier and more square inches of base goes a long way to preventing this ;)

Last edited:
I've made these before, they're not fancy but work well.
The base on mine is 3" square.

Cheap Stand A.jpg

I drilled a relief hole for the engine hook end to slip in.

Nice! Cheap and simple design!

I had thought of a similar design a while back, but never got to do it since I started brainstorming a more complex one (yup...rocket brain). On my list of "non-rocket" things to build is a display stand using 2x4s and sections cut down of wood dowels. The length of the 2x4 is up to me (likely around 3-4 feet to fit my rocket field table) and I would also add two swing-out 2x4 "legs" (long enough to provide weight so the rack doesn't topple over)...this way I can fold it, take it to the field, open it up and stick up my smaller rockets at my table for display...my own rocket rack! :)

I've been meaning to build it since last year and each month I keep saying I'm going to do it for the next launch (even got the 13, 18 & 24mm dowels), but alas...too many rockets to build/prep and too little time. I'll update if I get it done, but I thought I'd add to your helpful tip. :)

Nice! Cheap and simple design!

I had thought of a similar design a while back, but never got to do it since I started brainstorming a more complex one (yup...rocket brain). On my list of "non-rocket" things to build is a display stand using 2x4s and sections cut down of wood dowels. The length of the 2x4 is up to me (likely around 3-4 feet to fit my rocket field table) and I would also add two swing-out 2x4 "legs" (long enough to provide weight so the rack doesn't topple over)...this way I can fold it, take it to the field, open it up and stick up my smaller rockets at my table for display...my own rocket rack! :)

I've been meaning to build it since last year and each month I keep saying I'm going to do it for the next launch (even got the 13, 18 & 24mm dowels), but alas...too many rockets to build/prep and too little time. I'll update if I get it done, but I thought I'd add to your helpful tip. :)

Look up saw horse brackets, they fold up with the cross bar being any length you want, same with the legs, any height you need. I found some that lay the board flat, most are edge on, presenting the 2 in 2x4 as the top. The ones that lay the board flat claim to be able to hold a 12" board, enough for just about anything :)

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr...orse.TRS0&_nkw=sawhorse+brackets&_sacat=11700

I found the motors attached to the board to be a lot more flexible than a fixed display unit(Which I have used in the past but I was limited with what rockets I could display next to each other,
fin sizes, etc.), I have many options on how and where to display, obviously some rocket fins a larger than other, some have 3 fins some 4, this allows me flexibility to move rockets around. Some times I display by color, sometimes by size,
either way. They are quick to make.

Hope this helps in your display

Back