Eastern Idaho

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
Hey All... I recently moved up to Idaho Falls from Phoenix and discovered that the only High Power launches are over near Boise.
Is there anyone over in Eastern Idaho, Northern Utah, Western Wyoming areas that would be interested in a club and club launches?
It would be a TRA prefecture, and Research rules, but any and all would be welcome.
I'm currently trying to locate a field that's NOT anywhere close to the INL site.
There doesn't seem to be much air traffic in the area so hoping to secure a waiver of at least 15k AGL. Time will tell.

If you have any interest, please drop a note here and let me know.

Ron

Gonna have to change your handle to Idaho_Joe 😋

Good luck on a new site!

no kidding Bruce!! :)
I've had AZ_Ron as my handle FOREVER... I'll just stick with it... Unless I think of something clever! :)

Decades ago I would visit my college friend at INEL then we would go fly fishing at Box Canyon, The Ranch, or some secret spots that Arnie had scouted.
I'd venture out around Rexburg or Hwy 33 on either side of Sage Junction.
The fliers at Tripoli Idaho are great folks and you've likely met many of them on the playa during Balls.
You're also only 200 miles from Butte where Steve Shannon's club is located.

Last edited:
You might try contacting someone in the mechanical engineering department at ISU in Pocatello. They have a Spaceport America Cup team and may be interested.

Thanks for the tip about the team at ISU... I'll see if I can track down someone there.
Johnly, if there's no real interest, then I'll definitely be hitting up the clubs that are a bit farther away and just fly with them.
UROC is about 3.5 hours from IF, Butte isn't a terrible drive, and the Tripoli Idaho club is about 4.5 hours.
I believe I've either met Steve Shannon, or maybe sold him some things many, many moons ago when I was involved with Access Rocketry.
I've met LOTS of folks at Balls over the years as well! ;)

Ron

HI Timothy! I was JUST in Logan for work on Thursday...
I'll keep poking around and see if I can locate a good flying field... There's LOTS of land around here, just need to find the one with an owner who doesn't mind the potential of ballistic projectiles coming down on his property!! ;)

Welcome from cache valley! The UROC field isn't too bad a drive. IF isn't too much further to the north of me. Still a few hours to the site. Come join us for a launch.
Ken

Kyle, please let me know when you'll be flying. Will you have a waiver in place, or strictly low and mid power?
I'd you have a waiver, to what altitude?

Ken, I've kicked around coming down to a UROC launch. Had some friends that flew down there many moons ago!! It's all down to timing!
I'll keep an eye on your launch calendar though!

Thanks guys!

Ron

Kyle, please let me know when you'll be flying. Will you have a waiver in place, or strictly low and mid power?
I'd you have a waiver, to what altitude?

Ken, I've kicked around coming down to a UROC launch. Had some friends that flew down there many moons ago!! It's all down to timing!
I'll keep an eye on your launch calendar though!

Thanks guys!

Ron
Ron,
The High Desert Rocketry club just had their first launch. They have a waiver, and I think it’s for up to 25k. They have a Facebook group and the ones I know are a good bunch.
Several of their members also have travelled to Montana to fly with us. Our Prefect drives up from Idaho Falls in fact. Our website is at bigskyrocketry.org and we’re mostly a high power club, but we certainly support model rocketry also. Although we have the ability to activate our waiver to 46,000’ AGL, we usually just activate to 26k’.
We and High Desert try not to launch on the same dates as each other so people have more opportunities to fly.

Hey All... I recently moved up to Idaho Falls from Phoenix and discovered that the only High Power launches are over near Boise.
Is there anyone over in Eastern Idaho, Northern Utah, Western Wyoming areas that would be interested in a club and club launches?
It would be a TRA prefecture, and Research rules, but any and all would be welcome.
I'm currently trying to locate a field that's NOT anywhere close to the INL site.
There doesn't seem to be much air traffic in the area so hoping to secure a waiver of at least 15k AGL. Time will tell.

If you have any interest, please drop a note here and let me know.

Ron
Ron,
High Desert Rocketry Association is holding its second launch this Saturday, June 24 about 42 miles north of Idaho Falls.
We don’t have a lot of info yet as we are still building a web site, but you can send me an email at [email protected] for more info. Currently NAR and working on TRA.

Edited to add our waiver is to 25000’ agl, low mid and high power welcome.

Last edited:
Back