Quantcast

Eastern Idaho

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
Hey All... I recently moved up to Idaho Falls from Phoenix and discovered that the only High Power launches are over near Boise.
Is there anyone over in Eastern Idaho, Northern Utah, Western Wyoming areas that would be interested in a club and club launches?
It would be a TRA prefecture, and Research rules, but any and all would be welcome.
I'm currently trying to locate a field that's NOT anywhere close to the INL site.
There doesn't seem to be much air traffic in the area so hoping to secure a waiver of at least 15k AGL. Time will tell.

If you have any interest, please drop a note here and let me know.

Ron

Dipstick

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Gonna have to change your handle to Idaho_Joe 😋

Good luck on a new site!

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
no kidding Bruce!! :)
I've had AZ_Ron as my handle FOREVER... I'll just stick with it... Unless I think of something clever! :)

Johnly

Reaction score
Decades ago I would visit my college friend at INEL then we would go fly fishing at Box Canyon, The Ranch, or some secret spots that Arnie had scouted.
I'd venture out around Rexburg or Hwy 33 on either side of Sage Junction.
The fliers at Tripoli Idaho are great folks and you've likely met many of them on the playa during Balls.
You're also only 200 miles from Butte where Steve Shannon's club is located.

Last edited:

RocketDestroyer

Reaction score
You might try contacting someone in the mechanical engineering department at ISU in Pocatello. They have a Spaceport America Cup team and may be interested.

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip about the team at ISU... I'll see if I can track down someone there.
Johnly, if there's no real interest, then I'll definitely be hitting up the clubs that are a bit farther away and just fly with them.
UROC is about 3.5 hours from IF, Butte isn't a terrible drive, and the Tripoli Idaho club is about 4.5 hours.
I believe I've either met Steve Shannon, or maybe sold him some things many, many moons ago when I was involved with Access Rocketry.
I've met LOTS of folks at Balls over the years as well! ;)

Ron

TimothyG

Reaction score
Here in Logan Utah we have a few students that'd be interested. Especially if it's closer than UROC.

AZ_Ron

Reaction score
HI Timothy! I was JUST in Logan for work on Thursday...
I'll keep poking around and see if I can locate a good flying field... There's LOTS of land around here, just need to find the one with an owner who doesn't mind the potential of ballistic projectiles coming down on his property!! ;)