Earned a L1 today thanks to so many on here with GORLAXIA II. Yissssssss

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerorKid

Reaction score
[video=youtube;CFPYaYz-oDg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFPYaYz-oDg[/video]

go to :50 for the launch part

Just wow. Was a great THOR launch day. Many amazing flights. I got to launch my long flat daddy on a G64 and lost my Purp Ertha with an jolly logic alt II. I trudged for miles through pasture. Frankly I was just beat and really was not ready to do my L1 attempt. Just dead tired, but it had to be done since I had been planning for months for it.

BTW, even with cloud cover for part of the day I am roasted crisp. I expect nose peeling.

dcbertelsen let me use his CTI case and I paid him for a H133 Blue streak. CTI is darn awesome BTW. I gotta get me some of that for sure. He also jammed his tracker in GORLAXIA II no matter my resistance.

So many jokes from the club and troj is a crap talker for sure. I assume trying for a L1 with a modified Big Daddy was a bit odd, but I did it. That thing screamed off the pad. Just WOW.

I spent most of the day just giggling and man that launch was awesome. Used the radio to find the rocket with the tracker dcbertelsen jammed in there. Led me right to it. Not a scratch on her. Just perfect.

And here is where I give the thanks to all who made this possible.

Krusty, it was you that laser cut the fins and guidance that showed me that it was possible to get my L1 with a Big Daddy. Thanks so much man

Rex R, you have helped me fix my scratch builds and the Long Flat Daddy did so darn well today. Thanks so much man

dcbertelsen, you had so much going on today. The bit of time you were able to spend to help me today, and the tracker, was just so appreciated. Without your assist I would of not accomplished this today. My most sincere thanks for your awesomeness. It really made the day for me. Your Jart was sick as Fork man.

Troj totally rules too. I am so happy that I can be included in all the stuff you do for rocketry in general and for the local club. Thanks man.

Scott, it was great to meet you today. Thanks so much for the offer of the motor. Your wildman rocket launch was amazing.

IMG_8630 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMG_8625 by beerorkid, on Flickr

IMG_8614 by beerorkid, on Flickr

That's sweet man. Grats on the L1, that Big daddy looks like a ton of fun.

I am still giggling about it. Thanks so much to all who made it become a reality for me. I would never be at this point without TRF. I am not sure how I can drive that point home more then just posting it here, but yeah. You folk are just awesome sauce.

On the way home from the launch site I stopped in Risky's II for a burger. Ended up mentioning rockets to the server and she said her son has a L3 and she knows the field. I got a high five for my L1.

LOVE IT

It's a great group, and we do like to have a good time!

Glad you could join us, and we're all very happy your flight went well -- congrats!

Oh, and for the record? His rocket is not grape flavored.....blech.

-Kevin

Gratz on the successful L1 cert, BeerorKid!

I'm guessing your face is tired from laughing/smiling/whooping/hollering. We all get that. It comes with the territory.

Now crack open your checkbook and enjoy High Power flying. Next thing ya know, you'll be building a bigger Daddy for level 2. Hmmm. J275. Kewl!

Adrian

Congrats on your L1 cert!! Very cool!!

Krusty

Yo K Diddy, That rocket was pretty much 50% made from your lazer cut wood. Those swept fins are so great. You sent those to me back in January. It took till today for me to finally do it. I am severely thankful man. I was thinking about you all day. Thanks so much. Not sure where you got that fin design, but it is on 4 of my rockets.

I can't find the post, but Rex R made a mention of "how soon will beerorkid get his L1" in a manner of how fast I was working through the rocketry hobby, many months back :)

So ... yeah... I need some sort of tracking. Thinking I will do the android thingy route. I am bummed I lost my altimeter II, but I am still on the high of the L1 and I can get another no prob. It was such a great day.

I at least got to hug dcbertlesen and troj, but I want to hug so many of yall for all the halp. I know it is just a L1 cert, but I am just so happy about it. Thanks to all who made it possible

So my red arrow L1 deal might show up some time in the next week I hope. Meh. The price was right and I will have a H128 motor to shoot at the next THOR launch. GORLAXIA II will fly again for sure.

Just realized I get to update my sig :)

Last edited:
congrats! I can't wait for my L1! probably get it at the end of this year. my birthday's january 19, currently 17.

you're welcome, but don't sell yourself short! I did the easy part :), you had to make it work. I can't find it either but I suspect it was sometime around the beginning of March 2013 shortly after you posted the video of your 1st AP launch.
anyway, dancing rodents* on your lv1, be thankfull you don't fly with Woosh...we have THE Wildman himself for a vendor, not sure if he uses a tractor beam or a transporter to get money from ones wallet...:).
rex
*dancing rodents - conga rats

:clap: :clap: Congratulations on your L1. :clap: :clap:
T.H.O.R. is a great group of guys and gals.
Quick to help you out.
Quick to loan you things.
They make you feel welcome no matter who you are or what you fly.
They can talk your ears off and they will tease you like a big brother or sister.
They are like an extended family.
Welcome to the family.
Wish I could have been there.

I at least got to hug dcbertlesen and troj, but I want to hug so many of yall for all the halp. I know it is just a L1 cert, but I am just so happy about it. Thanks to all who made it possible

"Just a L1 cert"?! Dude! Don't sell it short -- it made you happy, obviously VERY happy. That's what matters. A cert that makes you happy is awesome. One that makes others happy doesn't matter so much.

So ... yeah... I need some sort of tracking. Thinking I will do the android thingy route. I am bummed I lost my altimeter II, but I am still on the high of the L1 and I can get another no prob. It was such a great day.

Pratt MicroBeacon I used to fly a Fat Boy on 38mm motors -- I161, H242, and I lost it on a G69....because that was the one flight in which I didn't use the MicroBeacon.

For our site, I wouldn't recommend something cell phone based -- I noticed my phone, at times, as struggling to get a signal. Any sort of tracker is likely going to want a data connection, and that will be even more iffy.

If you want RDF, we can help you with ideas.

-Kevin

Bah! I just sent you a few parts! You were the one that did the build and got the cert :)

Go! Roll around in the goodness that is your Level 1!!

Oh, and the fin design? It's the big daddy fin - just swept back a little more to increase stability. You know, those Big Daddy's were never supposed to go up on anything bigger than an E - Ha! How insane is that!!

Krusty

Yo K Diddy, That rocket was pretty much 50% made from your lazer cut wood. Those swept fins are so great. You sent those to me back in January. It took till today for me to finally do it. I am severely thankful man. I was thinking about you all day. Thanks so much. Not sure where you got that fin design, but it is on 4 of my rockets.

I can't find the post, but Rex R made a mention of "how soon will beerorkid get his L1" in a manner of how fast I was working through the rocketry hobby, many months back :)

So my red arrow L1 deal might show up some time in the next week I hope. Meh. The price was right and I will have a H128 motor to shoot at the next THOR launch. GORLAXIA II will fly again for sure.

Just realized I get to update my sig :)

A cert that makes you happy is awesome. One that makes others happy doesn't matter so much.

Of course, it's great when your cert flight is a crowd-pleaser; when other people are happy it makes me happy too. People seemed to love the loud, clear whistle on my L2 flight... someone shouted "Put a bigger motor in that one!" afterwards.

that beats the 'cool, do it again' call...after everything goes 'ker-flooy' .
rex

Still grinning today. I had so much fun at the launch. Got to show off the rocket to a couple folks today.

Next adventure is a BADAZZ MKII :)

Well, you've done a great job posting videos and pictures of THOR launches, so here's me repaying the favor in a small way. I've attached some Google Earth screenshots and the GPS data from your flight. You really got off easy with that walk. Congrats again!

Doug

Steve - overhead.jpg
Overhead view of the flight path.

Steve - looking west.jpg
Looking to the west. You can tell there was a strong southerly wind.

Steve - looking north.jpg
Looking to the north.

Steve - elevation.png
Quick and dirty elevation profile. Just a smidge under 2400 feet.

View attachment 2013-05-18 - Steve - Cert flight.kml
Google Earth KML file. I stripped out the tracker data so the file was small enough.

Last edited:
Well, you've done a great job posting videos and pictures of THOR launches, so here's me repaying the favor in a small way. I've attached some Google Earth screenshots and the GPS data from your flight. You really got off easy with that walk. Congrats again!

Doug

That is so cool. Thanks

Back