EAC Firecat clone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EXPjawa

Reaction score
OK, here's the story. I suppose anyone that's paid attention would know that I've got an affinity for rockets that look like aircraft, so this one is right up my alley. Several weeks ago, my brother-in-law told me about a rocket that someone at LUNAR launch gave my nephew. He said it was a "Firecat", and was pretty old, but not finished. But he hadn't found any information about it. I remembered a Firecat from the Estes catalogs in the early '80s, so I assumed that what he meant. He said it had a bulged nose cone, and the Firecat I knew used the same double conical cone as the Harpoon, so I thought I with him so far. But then he described wings with fins on the ends and engine-looking tube on the belly. No, that's definitely not what was in the catalog.

Fast forward a bit, and with a bit of digging, I found out about the EAC Firecat - a model only sold to members of the Estes Aerospace Club. I'd thought that the only rocket exclusive to the EAC members was the Viper, but apparently this was a real limited production kit advertised in the newsletter. But I did locate the plans/instructions on one of the sites (don't recall which at the moment). This thing is sort of a production kitbash, with fins and nose from the then-current BT50 HoJo and decals from the Bandit. Throw in a piece of BT48 tube - which I'd not heard of before, even Semroc didn't have it - and cut a few of the scraps of balsa up from the fin sheet, and there you have it. And I had to have one.

There was enough info on the instructions to clone without too much difficulty. The -50BD cone is newly available again from Semroc. The decals are printed by Excelsior already. The only hang up was the pesky BT48 tube - a tube only a little smaller than normal BT50. So, I substituted a piece of BT50 coupler, which is roughly .020" bigger in diameter than BT48. Under the circumstances, I'm good with that. The only other deviation I made was use of basswood instead of balsa; the complicated fins-on-fins design isn't something I really felt 3/32" balsa was up to. I modeled it in Rocksim once I had the details sorted out to make sure that the heavier wood would still balance OK. It is definitely more tail-heavy, but with a 1/4" dowel in the nose cone, its acceptable. Anyway, I put it all together last night. Primer/filling/painting is yet to be done.

WP_003251.jpgWP_003254.jpgWP_003255.jpg

At NARAM-42 in Colorado, Los Angels rocketeer Mario Anleu flew an upscale EAC Firecat on an AeroTech F25 motor.

The model used 2.6" body tube and the nose cone from the Estes Maxi-Honest John kit.

Looked great, flew great! :D

N42-049 Mario & his Firecat.jpg N42-050 Mario readies Firecat.jpg

That's cool. This definitely warrants upscaling - though I was thinking BT70, not 2.6". I do have a Maxi Honest John, but I don't want to part it out, so I've got the issue of a suitable NC either way. I was thinking I'd have Excelsior quote it for me...

Indeed a rare find in a kit. I was an EAC for many years, and I don't remember seeing that kit offered.
Both rockets in the pics above look awesome.
If at all possible, can you put the instructions on a pdf. and post it on this thread?
I've cloned the viper in it's original size but with a 23mm motor mount.
And up-scaled another for D/E engines.
Be nice to clone one of these for my collection!
Thanks for sharing.

I found an advertisement for it in a 1974 EAC newsletter while googling it. The instructions themselves I found somewhere already as a PDF, maybe it was JimZ, maybe YORF, I'm not sure. I guess it should be OK to post them here as it was on a public site that I found them. You'll see that the kit itself is a pretty creative repurposing of existing parts, which means that Estes could offer something real unique without any real investment. Pretty brilliant, really. You could probably do the same thing today with a Mini Honest John if Estes hadn't modeled it on the short fin version of the missile...

View attachment Firecat 0821.pdf

Neat design and nice work! I like that it's not a standard 3- or 4FNC. Great color scheme too. Can't wait to see one of your custom finishes on it!

Certainly not the rocket I was thinking of...

Man, I wish I could get my hands on more of those Estes HoJo nosecones for the BT-55 model (blowmolded plastic, not balsa). I'd like to build the Deep Space Transport I've got and clone the HoJo I lent to a teacher in Grants Pass.

I made a first flight in unpainted form over the weekend for the Firecat. On an A8-3 in a bit of a breeze, it weathercocked a little bit but only went about 150' up. It was still tough to track with the camera. The flight had a good deployment and landed near the base of flag out beyond the flight line, making for a short walk.

IMG_4534b.jpgIMG_4535b.jpgIMG_4536.JPGIMG_4539.JPG

Back