E9-0 and the rocket sled

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by mbecks, Mar 8, 2016.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Mar 8, 2016 #1

mbecks

mbecks

mbecks

Iv'e had one launch using an E9-8 with my rocket sled which is the perfect thrust I've found (video to follow). I called me local hobby store to see if they could get in E9-0 motors for staging. They told me the E9 series has been discontinued. Does anyone know anything about this and if there is something I could substitute it with? I think the sled could reach 500ft or close to with E9s.

2. Mar 8, 2016 #2

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

Daddyisabar

You need an E12 0 and those are available. A D12 0 would also work.

3. Mar 8, 2016 #3

bobkrech

bobkrech

bobkrech

Probably poor communication. The current Estes E impulse BP motors are listed here. http://www.estesrockets.com/rockets/engines/e-engines

You asked for the Estes E9-0 motors which were certified but never put into production because the thrust is too wimpy to use as a booster for a 2-stage rocket so the information you received is technically correct. The other Estes E9-4, -6, and -8 motors were put into production and are still in production. These motors have a longer burn but lower thrust than the Estes D12 motors so they work best in lighter rockets.

Later Estes put a higher thrust E12 series of motors into production in addition to the older E9 series. The Estes E12-0 motors are certified and in production. They have much more thrust than the E9-0 and are suitable as boosters for a 2-stage rocket. The Estes E12-4, -6 and-8 have the same thrust as the D12 motors but have a longer burn. They are in production and are suitable for heavier rockets than the E9 motor line.

Bob

4. Mar 8, 2016 #4

mbecks

mbecks

mbecks

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for me E12s will have to much thrust for my rocket sled. I've launched it with 2 D12s staged which once it got up to speed caused it to go air airborne. I guess I could stage multiple E6s into an E9-8 or I'll have to figure out a way to use a spoiler to keep it on the ground.

Through out out your ideas for me to ponder. Thanks

5. Mar 8, 2016 #5

TRFfan

TRFfan

TRFfan

mbecks,

At the bottom of this thread, there should be a list of related threads which are actually really interesting.

6. Mar 8, 2016 #6

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Charles_McG

Ciderwright

Shouldn't you be able to keep the speed down by trimming with mass?

More m for the 12/9 increase in thrust. But in this case, drag (sliding friction) is also proportional to m.