E6000 Glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Anyone tried this stuff? My mother swears by it. She decorates shelf and collectable items with polished gems. She says it's a one-tube equivalent to JB Weld. Sounds like good stuff, but I'm wondering if anyone has good or bad experiences to share.

I see that at Hobby Lobby all the time and wonder the same thing myself. If you're going to experiment, please share your results.

It's just 1 part and I've never seen it outside the tube, so couldn't guess at the base.

well, i've glued the engine block together in my boat with JB weld where the water jacket meets the head, it has held up for 2 years. if this stuff can beat that, then i'll take some....hehehe

I bet it it will not compete with JB Weld for its typical applications. Sounds closer to Liquid Nails then JB Weld. But I'm always up for trying new glues.

Originally posted by Polaris
Eclectic Products seems to be the source company for the adhesive. It looks like there is a pretty good FAQ.

Oh, it's the Goop people.

The non-sag epoxy stuff looks like it might be good for fillets.

I don't see a data sheet on any of them. I won't give up JB Weld for motor tube applications unless I can see a high temperature resistance.

holy shnikees, the non-sag stuff has a tensile strength of 3800lbs/ cubic inch. thats insanity. but it says temperature range -40-150. does that mean thats its curing temp or its resistance temp?

Originally posted by r1dermon
tensile strength of 3800lbs/ cubic inch.

That's supposed to be 3800 lbs/in^2, or 3.8 kips. Compare that to the tensile strength of a carbon/epoxy sheet with a density of 1.6 grams/cm^3 which is 87000 lbs/in^2 or 87 kips.

Edward

Originally posted by edwardw
That's supposed to be 3800 lbs/in^2, or 3.8 kips. Compare that to the tensile strength of a carbon/epoxy sheet with a density of 1.6 grams/cm^3 which is 87000 lbs/in^2 or 87 kips.

Edward

I don't understand what that comparison is supposed to illustrate.

I picked up a tube at Michael's a couple weeks ago. I was looking for a good glue to use with Cub Scouts making CD Spool rockets - quick drying, very strong, easy to work with and clean up, without the risks of CA. I got around to trying it last night.
It works fairly well, there were a few glue 'strings' to deal with but not too bad. It sets up in about 3-5 minutes but you still have a good 2 minutes to adjust things before it sets up too much. It seems to do the job as a glue, the only drawback I see is the packaging. You have a plastic cap that screws off, then you cut through a foil sealer to allow the glue out of the tube. They include a narrow plastic tube to direct the glue a bit more precisely, but if you put the tube on, then you can't put the cap back on the tube when you are done. If you take the tube off, then you have glue in it which means it's a 'one shot' type of thing. I ended up not using the tube tip and appyling the glue with a toothpick, or a scrap piece of balsa.
I managed to get 8 fins and a few other piece put together in an hour, along with walking the dog, monitoring homework, and cleaning the kitchen, so it sets up well quickly. It appears to be pretty strong, but I will have to wait for the launch to see for sure. The picture is of my own design 2-stage that was bashed from two Estes Guardian kits, and a sheet of balsa. The motor mounts were also glued with the E6000 so this should be a good test all around of this glue.

I have used this for long time for making battery packs and holding down canopies for my rc planes.

Back