E2X Fins. CA Glue or Testor's Plastic Cement or Other?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tinker

Reaction score
Hello all,

I am about to assemble another Estes E2X rocket and before I assemble the fins, I was thinking maybe plastic cement would be better than the CA glue the directions say to use. I was wondering if you all had any thoughts on the matter? I assembled an Estes fin can with CA and when I dropped it, it broke back in half. (Not broken, component pieces. I regaled it with Testor's plastic cement and it seems much better. I was wondering if the same would be true of the fins?

Secondly, I saw someone mention that they tape these fins at the windward edge. Is that common?

Tinker

Oh boy! Another glue thread....
If you are talking about those PS II kits, where the fins come in two clamshell pieces, I use Testors. I have yet to tape the leading edge, but it sounds like a good idea. I also add weight to the fins while the glue is drying.

If I were you, I would use epoxy for attaching the fins for any rocket that uses E or greater motors. JB Weld is probably the best epoxy for this purpose with high strength and fairly reasonable cost.

I don't know how common it is but I've used clear packing tape for LPR plastic fin field repairs and reinforcing leading edges like the Estes PSII Nike Smoke. Not too intrusive, just works. I think most Estes E2X kits call for plastic cement like Testors redtube.

Ha! Glue threads are a staple, the lifeblood, the mother's milk of the ol' forum ! :wink: And I'm not giving back my L2 cert pin just because I used a LOC Doorknob built with Titebond II and Gorilla polyurathane. Just a little JB Weld on the aeropack retainer and some Bob Smith 30 minute to set the eyebolt in the nosecone. Some of us have to limit our exposure to that nasty s_. :blush:

Ha! Glue threads are a staple, the lifeblood, the mother's milk of the ol' forum ! :wink: And I'm not giving back my L2 cert pin just because I used a LOC Doorknob built with Titebond II and Gorilla polyurathane. Just a little JB Weld on the aeropack retainer and some Bob Smith 30 minute to set the eyebolt in the nosecone. Some of us have to limit our exposure to that nasty s_. :blush:

CA works just fine for gluing the fin pieces together but I use epoxy to glue the fins into the tube. I haven't seen any need to put tape on the leading edge.

CA works just fine for gluing the fin pieces together but I use epoxy to glue the fins into the tube. I haven't seen any need to put tape on the leading edge.

Same here on the Estes PSII plastic fins. I also scuff the inside of the fins before gluing.

The right glue for the right application.

CA will bond the components. You'll have the glue acting as the bonding agent.
Testors glue will "weld" them. It melts the plastic, so they meld together with little to no glue residue. I prefer the clear liquid with the brush. (And some will say to just use Acetone, as it does the same job with Styrene parts..)
Careful with Epoxy on plastic parts. It doesn't always stick the parts.

I wasn't sure of the type of plastic used for the fins, so I tested styrene glue on an edge of the root first and it is styrene. I brushed liquid styrene on one half, put them together and clamped them with clothes pins for a couple of hours. Styrene glue melts and welds the plastic, so I don't expect any problems. I'll let you know if any occur.

I've built the PSII Ascender and Mammoth as well as a couple of the boosters. I used CA to fuse all the fin halves, applying it liberally to the outside edge as well as all the internal supports. I made sure the leading edges were sealed and sanded smooth. I then sanded the mating surfaces and used epoxy to attach the fins to the motor tubes and body tubes. They're rock-solid with almost no flex. I haven't tried smacking them against solid objects for fun, but they've held up well at launches.

Back