E-powered Scratch-built

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elapid

Reaction score
we went out for a nice afternoon of flying...
the best flights were in the scratch-built 1.6" Sandhawk that went up nicely on Edtes E9-6 motors and came down within about 50 yards of the pad every time. it comes off the pad slowly and is rock-stable in flight...the 6 second delay fired the chute right at apogee.

nice!

i lost the star dart when it took a bad angle off the launch rod and went waaaaaaay downrange on a c6-7
:D

the Cheetah was sent up on an E9-6 also. it seemed to sit on the pad for just an instant before climbing faster and faster into the sky. when i recovered the rocket, the motor casing was gone and the 29mm-24mm adapter was hanging out the end of the mmt. i had the adapter in backward. oops!

the heat of the ejection charge bubbled the paint on the body tube. I didn't realize the adapter was backward, and didn't want to play games with my most expensive rocket, so i grounded her for the rest of the day.

we launched a wizard on an a8-3 and another time on a c6-7. the short shock cord is messing up the top of the body tube. the rocket screams on the 18mm motors and reaches an impressive altitude...

my scratch-built Fade to Black was launched on a c6-5 and performed well.

i sent up my lawn dart on a d12-5, but it shredded at maximum velocity, scattering bits about the field...

we also did a little a3-4t-powered scratch-built that flew well, but my motor mount clip broke when i was taking out the spent casing. oh well.

all in all it was a great day!
next time i'll bring a launch controller that can fire off the AP motors.
:D

still... overall best flightws were from the sandhawk on estes E power.

i'll try to do some screen captures from the video we took.

one of the fleet afterward and one of my favorite rocket on the pad.

11 successful recoveries
1 lost rocket
1 shredded, recovered

5x E9-6
2x D12-5
2x C6-7
1x C6-5
1x B6-4
1x A8-3
1x A3-4T

nice day!

Nice pics and nice fleet.
I can't believe how bad that one shredded and on a D!!OUCH

Originally posted by Elapid

the Cheetah was sent up on an E9-6 also. it seemed to sit on the pad for just an instant before climbing faster and faster into the sky. when i recovered the rocket, the motor casing was gone and the 29mm-24mm adapter was hanging out the end of the mmt. i had the adapter in backward. oops!

the heat of the ejection charge bubbled the paint on the body tube. I didn't realize the adapter was backward, and didn't want to play games with my most expensive rocket, so i grounded her for the rest of the day.

Dude!!!

I cannot believe you got the Cheetah off the ground on an E9 ????:eek: :eek:

Great Flight Report...

I didnt have as much luck thou this morning.... Der Renegade(Estes Renegade two stage) sustainer lawn darted after boost on a C11, it never lit. :( :(

TonyF

the Cheetah weighs 9.75 oz. i sim'd it to 683.7' on that motor...128 mph...28.8 mph at the end of the launch rod...barely moving, that's for sure!
i have some E11-J loads i might send it up on...slow ride with thick black smoke...that should be spectacular!
i figure about 1000' is good for this field. once i get a 12v launcher (how about 18v black and decker rechargeable? or 7.6v R/C car batteries?) to fire off the copperheads, i'm stuck with BP motors.

the Sandhawk-looking beastie only weighs 5.18 oz with a 1.6" body tube. with its 4 fins, it is super-stable. next time i'm gonna take one of those d12-0 motors and Chad-stage it to a little higher than the 1141' it sim'd to. at 35 mph off the pad and topping out at near 200 mph, this baby moves pretty good for a long rocket...well, for low power, anyway.

the shredded one sim'd to 331 mph :eek: and topped out near 1400' which seems about right. the fins came off in spectacular fashion...fortunately, the 2 oz rocket fell without further damage.

thanks for the replies!
sorry your day wasn't better, tonyf
:(

Back