E-match shorting out in metal charge well?

DHays

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Just a quick question.
I have always used aluminum charge wells that I purchase from a dealer for my drogue and main events. I have had excellent results with them over the years. So, as I am reading my altimeter user manual, it states that also avoid using metalized canisters to minimize your risk of shorts on an activated event output. Probably nothing to worry about since the match is on top center of well pressed in with dog barf and 4 layers of blue painters tape.
One of my ground tests that I did, I placed a match in a empty well in the bottom corner and it still fired off.
So, do I need to line the inside of the well with something non conductive (cardboard tube) or just leave as is and don't worry??
I would think that it is fine since the charge wells are made specifically for this situation?

Thank you!

Kelly

Usually remembers to get the pointy end up
Reaction score
If there's ever any doubt I wrap a layer of tape around the base of the ematch to ensure it can't short to the well, other (redundant) igniters, etc.

DHays

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It's the RRC2L. It has not happened. Just was worried that it could happen. Just didn't know if I needed to change my technique or not.

Thought about leaving the little red sleeve on the match head to prevent it from touching the side of the charge well?

Thank you Kelly I will try that.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
TRF Supporter
Global Mod
Reaction score
It's the RRC2L. It has not happened. Just was worried that it could happen. Just didn't know if I needed to change my technique or not.

Thought about leaving the little red sleeve on the match head to prevent it from touching the side of the charge well?

Thank you Kelly I will try that.

That should work. I have done this before. I often remove and save them so I have extra.

Handeman

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using copper pipe caps as containers for the last 15 years. I fold the wire, just below the ematch head over the edge. The only time I had any concern was on a small rocket where I use 9mm brass as containers. They had a much thinner, sharper edge, but even then, I never had any issues with shorted matches because of the metal containers.

YMMV, but I consider shorting matches on a metal container to be one of those really small risk things that gets blowen up on TRF, but actually fall into the weeds when you consider all the other more high risk personal safety things within a rocket, like a motor Cato. Even a cato is low risk when you consider safe distances and look at what the risks are to people behind the flight line.

DHays

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I've been using copper pipe caps as containers for the last 15 years. I fold the wire, just below the ematch head over the edge. The only time I had any concern was on a small rocket where I use 9mm brass as containers. They had a much thinner, sharper edge, but even then, I never had any issues with shorted matches because of the metal containers.

YMMV, but I consider shorting matches on a metal container to be one of those really small risk things that gets blowen up on TRF, but actually fall into the weeds when you consider all the other more high risk personal safety things within a rocket, like a motor Cato. Even a cato is low risk when you consider safe distances and look at what the risks are to people behind the flight line.
Yes true, I really never gave it a thought until I was reading through the instructions again. I think that I will trim down the red sleeve just enough to protect the board and wires on the match. Then I will give it a couple of ground tests.

Reaction score
If you know it might be an issue, do what you can to prevent it, tape on end of match, a bit of epoxy, hot glue, blue tac. There's lots of options to prevent it from happening. Pick one. Or 2.... Relying of something not happening to prevent it, like putting the match on top and hoping it won't move is bad.