Dynastar Snarky

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>Foil-lined?

>What is that? Wouldn't a foil (assuming aluminum) cause the paper to burn easier?

The motor mount tube's not exposed to flame, but it is exposed to heat. Aluminum foil doesn't burn, though it will melt, but at temperatures well above the kindling temperature of paper.

This motor mount tubing is available from Totally Tubular. I have used it on many 24mm powered models.

len.

Today I launched the SNARKY for its first flight. Since the weight came out about 2oz. over the listed weight, I opted for a D12-3 instead of the D12-5.:rolleyes:

The 32" SNARKY chute is HUGE. I was concerned of drift and it looks like a good thermal catcher. So even though I wanted to use the E9, I went with the D12 for its first flight.:)

Liftoff on the D12-3 was slow and dramatic and loud! About 100' up the motor starting emitting a shower of sparks that I had not seen before. Some of my D12s have lately seemed overly "hot". It was kind of neat and did not seem to be in detriment to the flight. Almost like some of the SKIDMARKS that I have seen in pictures!:eek: :eek:

The SNARKY got good enough height on the D12-3...don't think I would try the 5 sec. delay....the chute came out easily but fell a good ways before opening since it is so big. With a longer delay, it might be too close for comfort to the ground before fully opening. But once it did, WHAM...the rocket looked like it came to a STOP!!! With a lot of height and a HOT day, this could drift quite a ways! It recovered without a scratch or mark anywhere on the rocket...well designed and built. Flights on the larger Es and Fs should be AWESOME!!!!:eek: :eek:

billEb, from the color of the sky in your pictures, it looks like you were launching at day-break
actually, that is probably a great time to fly because the winds haven't come up yet------except for me, I would have to get out of bed during prime ZZZZZZZZZZz time
Great photos! Thanks for sharing

Thanks for the comments!:) No I started launching at 6:45 pm our time. The breezes just do not die until later in the evening and my field is not very large. Yesterday was really an ORDEAL...the grass needs cutting (almost shoulder length in some places) and the HUMIDITY was unbearable!!! But the air was DEAD STILL!!! If the grass was cut, I could have tolerated the heat because of the STILL AIR!:p

BillE - your rockets are real works of art!! Snarky looks sooo nice on the pad there.

good call on the D12. I launched my "Stonebreaker" last week on an E9 and that big chute caught the wind and carried it about a mile away. Found it by a thin stroke of luck in the vineyard behind the vineyard across the road from the church behind the wires past the stream at the end of the (huge) park ... whew!

Your Snarky looks great. I was thinking of getting one. I think I will now. What did you do to mask off around the back of the scoop. I have a real hard time masking curves..:(
-Justin

I forgot- Did anyone figure out what the size problem with the tube marking guides was? Is it going to be fixed on new kits?

Haven't built a Snarky yet, but I've used blue masking tape cut into about 1/4" strips for masking curves. It follows the curve well enough and you can put full-sized tape behind it.

Back