Dynastar Rip-Roar Staging Videos

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet! I just pulled this particular kit out of the build pile last week. Is there anything funky I should know about the build?

Add a vent hold in the booster, near where the sustainer motor will be.

Did not have vent holes the first time i launched. Sustainer did not light prior to the booster popping off, and had to rebuild the sustainer from the fin can up. Added a vent hole, and the two subsequent launches have staged fine.

Maybe that is only coincidence, but the vent hold should not hurt anything.

Also a 6' x 6" streamer has worked well for recovery for me, for a D12 to E9 launches. A lot less walking to do.

I drilled a hole in each centering ring to allow for the pressure between stages to exhaust.

The sustainer can be recovered without the chute, a la nose blow recovery to reduce drift.

kj

The stock chute makes it darn near hover in the air. I think I got about half a mile of drift out of my D12-E9 launch. Sheesh. Add a spill hole or go to a streamer as mentioned. I think I'm going to do streamer. :)

Oh, do the vent holes too. I had a literal lawn dart the first time I flew mine. Sticking out of the ground happy as could be. Funny as hell pics. :) Of course, mine had the magic disappearing motor... The sustainer motor was just.. gone... Not in the rocket, not on the ground, not in my range box, nowhere to be found. I won't say for sure that I put it in, but I sure think I did... weird. :)

Oh yeah, i forgot... The stock parachute is some GIGANTIC parachute (32"). Waaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy to big. I used a 15" or 12" chute, on the second flight. Still took 50 seconds to come down.

I can see the idea of just popping the nose working. Fin can is very solid. Streamer still aids in tracking the descent of the rocket.

Back