Dynastar LexxJet WTH?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm building the LexxJet from Dynastar and after the glue sets on the tail cone assembly I come back and I see this?? WTH?

I emailed Apogee for an explanation and a replacement kit. To me it looks like the tail / nose cone came out of the assembly wrong and the mold shifted or something? Yes the tail cone is glued flush. Now half the rocket is screwed up. Tail cone is worthless along with motor mount, Kevlar, clip and airframe.

Anyone have this issue?

20170506_103019.jpg20170506_103027.jpg20170506_103019.jpg20170506_103027.jpg

WHOA! Did you check the 'ground loop' box when you ordered? Sorry- jes' kidding!. Were the ends of the B/T square?

I've had two problems with Apogee orders. Both were MORE than made good.

One was shipping damage with a tube order. They sent a entire new batch not just the ones I listed. The other was a bag of the wrong motors. They sent the right ones and said to keep the incorrect set. Not the same issue you have, but I can't see why they wouldn't make good on your kit. Their tubes are a tad thinner than others, that is what it is.

One was shipping damage with a tube order. They sent a entire new batch not just the ones I listed. The other was a bag of the wrong motors. They sent the right ones and said to keep the incorrect set. Not the same issue you have, but I can't see why they wouldn't make good on your kit. Their tubes are a tad thinner than others, that is what it is.

I understand the reason behind thinner tubed. Lighter is higher, but never seen a warped nose cone. The other one is fine. Not sure what the outcome but I asked for a new kit. Figure I'll leave some wiggle room to negotiate. My reasons is I'll need a new motor mount, body tube, and tail cone. We'll see?

I bet it is easier to send a new one that to replace a part...hopefully that's what they do and it is AOK.

I bet it is easier to send a new one that to replace a part...hopefully that's what they do and it is AOK.

If I get a new tail cone I'll be happy with that, because I have enough parts laying around that I can make it work. Maybe upgrade the engine tube with a thicker LOC tube and I have some brown glassine tubed that will work for the body tube, but yes a new kit would be nice but I'm pretty sure it's not gonna happen. This kit had been sitting for a few years so no sure if that would warp the nose cone? It was store in a box in a closet so your guess us as good as mine?? We'll see what happens?

There is one thing I never considered. You know the cones do fit really loose and you need tape to take out the slack. I wonder if that is part of the problem? Even though the shoulder is flush with the tube, maybe the slack / play in the cone caused it to set off center? Not even sure if that makes sense, but could be possible. I mean if this was an issue maybe a mention of the that in the instructions would be nice? The nose cone you would never notice because tape would be wrapped around the shoulder to take the slack out out so it will center itself. Again I'm just throwing it out there?

Well, I never read that until now. I hope they treat you as well as they have me. I never filled out anything. I called and talked to Michelle (IIRC). I think I may have taken and emailed a photo. As I said, one of my problems was a bag of the wrong motors were sent to me. They just sent the right ones, no fuss no muss.

Well, I never read that until now. I hope they treat you as well as they have me. I never filled out anything. I called and talked to Michelle (IIRC). I think I may have taken and emailed a photo. As I said, one of my problems was a bag of the wrong motors were sent to me. They just sent the right ones, no fuss no muss.

It would be nice, but we'll see what happens so far haven't heard back from them. I went into chat and got Tim. He said Michelle would be getting back to me on this .

Look at the pictures and block out the body tube. The nose cone looks fine as far as the shape. I think it's something with the shoulder perhaps, but what the heck would cause it??

I've had one of those cones be delivered off center- definitely a manufacturing defect as the ones in my lexx jet were fine. Luckily I noticed before I used it.

kj

I am lucky, I live close to Apogee, so I am in there all the time. They couldn't be nicer. You can pop your head in Tim's office and ask questions, go play in the racks and try parts out and different combinations. They made getting back into rocketry easy. Plus I am always picking up parts in the reject bin. Got 4 9" BT-60 tubes today.

No Hazmat is nice too.

Tinker

I am lucky, I live close to Apogee, so I am in there all the time. They couldn't be nicer. You can pop your head in Tim's office and ask questions, go play in the racks and try parts out and different combinations. They made getting back into rocketry easy. Plus I am always picking up parts in the reject bin. Got 4 9" BT-60 tubes today.

No Hazmat is nice too.

Tinker
A store with rocket parts... and a reject bin. Glad I don't live nearby, I'd be broke & alone.

I'm happy I don't have to scrap the build. I was just going to throw the kit away...wasn't going to buy another nose cone.

Yes. Build and fly it. There are way too few model rockets based on airplanes today. I saw over on that other forum that a new F-16 kit is being released. Apogee is now releasing the Skonk Wulf.

The Skonkwulf looks great with through the wall fins

Classic Shrox kit. Build it light, build it strong. Quality light tubes, blow molded nose cones, balsa wings and make it look like an airplane. Put a hakenkruze on the tail and take your first steps towards the Dark Arts. Can also do it with the SHX, slap on the red star of the evil empire, stick in a D 12 3 and take it to the local school yard.

No Hazmat is nice too.

Tinker

does Erin still work there?

Back