DynaStar Firefox SHX Semi Build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marwady

Build twice, Launch once
Reaction score
I got this Firefox SHX kit from Apogee because the design intrigued me.

I was delighted to see that the quality of this kit was top notch. Great wood and nicely fitted parts.

I knew that because this was a Shrox design, it would have some unique twists.

I decided to add some mods right from the start. They are:

• Estes 24mm retainer
  • BT60 Baffle
  • Papered fins w/Avery label stock

The BT design and sequence prohibits using my fin jig so I chose to build and attach fins before the fore and aft tubes are joined together.

Here are some pix so far:

BTW, Yes I did install the dorsal fin backwards because I preferred the look.

Cheers!!

Last edited:
Mark ,

This build does indeed interset me ,as I too have always loved the design of this kit.

I shall watch with great interest ,and know it will be a real beauty !

Regards

Paul T

Mark ,

This build does indeed interset me ,as I too have always loved the design of this kit.

I shall watch with great interest ,and know it will be a real beauty !

Regards

Paul T

Paul,

I was thinking the same thing.

With your skills, I bet your rendition of this one would be incredible.

Ooops, more money out of your wallet!! :wink:

A bit more progress.

I have to admit that this kit messed with my head (SHROX is probably saying "Yep, that was my intention)....:cool:

I even woke up in the middle of the night trying to figure out what tube went where and what cut was up/down.

I think I finally figured it out so I went ahead and glued up all the fins (out of sequence so I could use my Guillotine fin jig).

I used the front tube as an extension so I could get all the fins aligned.

Pic:

Stay tuned for more of your favorite daytime drama entitled: "As the Glue Dries"...:facepalm:

Cheers!!

Now comes the fun of finishing and flying. The sick on decals are not the greatest, especially the windscreen. If you paint it black they need some marker treatment around the edge - they are just printed on label paper. Silly cyrillic lettering always seems to get a laugh when you point it out. This could look cool with a custom paint job - Russian/Soviet - blue/grey winter with aftermarket decals would be cool. That big chute will bring her down real slow, much to the delight of the crowds. Letting her rip on F motors will bring out the weak spots on the glue joints, the forward coupling ring and the seam on the stuffer tube. But just squirt in some thin CA and fly again. Great low and slow school yard demo rocket on a D12 3. The old fart LCOs might call it Commie Ship from the Evil Empire, but I always give a shout out to PVO Strany at launch. I think I have around 23 flights on mine and it always looks good with the help of a black sharpie touch up after each flight. So far it is my only rocket the wife's cat has tried to chew. He could not resist the tail fin extension.

This could look cool with a custom paint job - Russian/Soviet - blue/grey winter with aftermarket decals would be cool. .

Here is the latest in Soviet Aggressor paint schemes, straight from Top Gun. Copies on American enemy plans used for training. I think the latest is called "stick". [jagged edge paint scheme tail #57] several others just for your viewing pleasure.

How I got these don't ask, anyhow if it helps you.... go for it !

DSCN2628.jpg

DSCN2629.jpg

DSCN2630.jpg

DSCN2631.jpg

DSCN2632.jpg

Last edited:
I've built one of these and it may be my favorite to fly. It just looks so bad@#% going up and I love that big parachute for the slow recovery.

OK,

Almost ready to prime.

I decided to do some minor mods where the wings attach.

I like the swept back look of this rocket and I felt attaching the wings flush with the aft end accentuated the look even more.

PIX:

Cheers!!

Back