Dynasoar Rocketry X-15 Delta Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveNeill

SNG Studio Ventura
Reaction score
Yes one of these is on the way. How could I resist? It will be here next week. Then we build and fly. The X-15 anything has always been one of my favorites.
IMG_20191008_234659370.jpg
dynasoarrocketry.com/?page_id=4438

It'll look pretty sweet when I get my stickershock decals for the prototype....I decided to bring it back after I re-worked my jayhawk kit to use the 9mm depron I have and got some nose cones for it as well. The next day or so I saw your posting about the X-15 delta kit you were bringing back, and I realized the wing planform this kit would use was the same as the jayhawk, Nose cone is identical, just a simple creation of new cockpit, stab and wingtip templates, and a small ventral fin and voila, X-15 Delta, It will look great in white or black scheme.

Looking forward to the decals Frank and the build. Thanks for bringing it back and updating it! It looks awesome.

Since I now have three of Frank Burke Dynasoar Rocketry boost gliders and a need for a better launching system I watched Frank's video on building a rail launcher a must I feel for any serious Rocketeer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzKAKWHabrE
I went to Lowes and got everything he recommended but they didn't have some of the pieces in black. No biggy.
The rail is do in any day now. Can't wait to put this all together. Nice beefy launcher for mid power and the gliders.

YOUTUBE.COM

Attachments

• IMG-2008.JPG
    IMG-2008.JPG
    143.3 KB · Views: 46
Here is the maiden video, high gusty winds, but trims were spot on and it handled great. You can see it was a big sluggish on the rail coming off because of the severe gusts which can cause it to bind when really high, I had to wait for a good enough lull to hit the button. It always gusts as soon as I push that button:)

Last edited:
Thanks, my daughter Olivia does a great job following me with the camera, I think glide time after burnout was about 1:15, I have a timer that starts when I flip the glide trim switch after burnout. I lose a bit of time on windy days when flying at my rc club where i need to hit the centerline of the runway to keep in line with flight patterns, dodge cars and tables and trees, etc. You can see me doing s curves and slides to get in position to land, if i have a big open field i have more options on landing direction and location and I don't have to move the controls as much and costs less in drag. On a good day getting 1:30 is reasonable, 2:00 is great.

Wow, nice flight, and typical great camera work!

Last edited:
I started Frank's X-15 today. I had an hour at the end of a long day at the shop and this is who far I got. This thing I tell ya builds itself. The pre slotted parts both BT and foam fit so well together it didn't take long to frame her up. I love the beveled leading edges and the beveled vortex tips on the wings.

As you can see by the pictures I am making a wood plug for a vacuum formed canopy. Once finished and detailed I'll pull a mold on it and make many in resin. Then I can vacuum form many at once out of 010 PETG clear. I'll mask the windows and paint the rest so I have clear windows.

Love this model. Frank you did a great job on this kit.
IMG-2045.JPG IMG-2046.JPG IMG-2047.JPG IMG-2048.JPG IMG-2049.JPG IMG-2050.JPG IMG-2051.JPG IMG-2052.JPG IMG-2054.JPG

I love your build thread it's like, oh I had an hour, here's two pictures it's done. Then five pictures making molds to make a canopy for it Btw, the kit comes with shaped foam pieces to make the canopy but I'm sure one of steves vacu formed pieces will be great.

Frank I have ordered plastic so I'll send you some to include in your kits.. Hey these build fast because they are engineered so well and they are super clean.

Frank I have had many of kits from the big guys and they weren't as nice as this. There was always something I hade to mod or change-fix. Not here. I have been building a long time now and I've seen it all. At age 67 I got a lot of the guys beat here in age and experience building of which I speak from. When it comes to the rocket science part
I'm still a newbie but I learning from everyone here.

I'm the same way, I always find things I don't like in kits, that's why I make these the way I do, they are exactly constructed and using the exact same parts I do for my own models. Everyone has their own idea of what is best, but I know what works and does not fail from experience and that's why I use what I do, but that's not to say there are not other ways.

IMG-2087.JPG IMG-2088.JPG IMG-2090.JPG IMG-2091.JPG I had a bit of time yesterday at the end of the day. I got everything glued in. Wing, tails and engine mount. Servos and the radio system. All went very smooth. It's my hope to paint it today.
I also made the canopy form fit the nose cone because I will pull a flexible mold of the canopy form while attached to the nose cone to get that contour. When I vacuum form the canopy it will exactly fit the nose cone. I did a bit more scale shaping to it as well.

How do I make a canopy mold? This process is pretty fast. I use prosthetic grade alginate and mix it with water and pull a temporary mold off the plug mounted to the nose cone. Once that sets up in a few minutes I pour the mold with Ultracal 30 tool stone. A very hard plaster. I then pull the stone plug out of the mold and tool it some more.

Once the stone plug is all pointed up I'll make and silicone mold and from that pour about 10 canopy plugs in two part urethane resin and put those on the vacuum form machine and pull a bunch.

More on this next week.

Attachments

• IMG-2093.JPG
    IMG-2093.JPG
    89.9 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG-2095.JPG
    IMG-2095.JPG
    124.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-2096.JPG
    IMG-2096.JPG
    98.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG-2097.JPG
    IMG-2097.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-2099.JPG
    IMG-2099.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG-2100.JPG
    IMG-2100.JPG
    132.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-2101.JPG
    IMG-2101.JPG
    138.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-2102.JPG
    IMG-2102.JPG
    151.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG-2103 (1).JPG
    IMG-2103 (1).JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG-2104.JPG
    IMG-2104.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 48
Finally got some time to paint Frank Burkes great Dynasoar Rocketry X-15 Deta Boost glider. I used one of my canopies for our large X-15 kit and it fit like a glove.

The decals we have for our kits from Stickershock23.com have a window mask. I placed the masks and lightly sanded over the clear vacuform canopy and applied several coats of black primer. Once removed I have two clear windows.

The rest of the Depron model was painted with Noa color acrylic paints through a airbrush.

Next up is to add the Sticker Shock Decals.

For those of you unfamiliar with a RC boost glider this is a radio controlled rocket powered glider that returns to Earth after being launched from a pad via radio control.
IMG-3203.JPG IMG-3201.JPG IMG-3199.JPG IMG-3197.JPG IMG-3192.JPG IMG-3208.JPG IMG-3209.JPG IMG-3210.JPG IMG-3211.JPG IMG-3212.JPG

Did you use your trick of fine masking tape over the black primer before you painted the final coat to create the panel lines on the nose?

Back