Dynasoar Rocketry Starship, R/C rocket glider, Star Trek Themed...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burkefj

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Here is a new kit I released, just showing it here for general interest though, I wanted a disk wing model in the lineup, and tried to put as much star trek shape/decoration into it but still make it flyable as an R/C rocket glider. The star trek ships do not lend themselves to rear mounted motors as the disk and cg requirements are very far forward.

The disk is 19" but gives a much larger area than you think, glide is quite good for the shape. The deflector dish is the end of the nose cone I cut off, reverse and glue back in, the antenna is a piece of spare 3mm carbon rod I rounded off and drilled/glued into the dish. Dish is colored with gold sharpie pen, the warp engine front is tamiya acrylic orange brushed on, the decals here were hand cut but stickershock has the patterns now. Length is 47", disk is 19", 2.6" diameter, weight 11.25 oz rtf using a 24mm E-6 rocket motor. Wing is 6mm depron, warp motor is 9mm depron with 6mm depron laminated on both sides of the engine to allow some rounding to be done for visual effect. The disk decoration is simply a sharpie pen taped to a compass, for the larger circles I taped chop sticks to my compass to extend the legs and then taped the sharpie to one of the legs. The model required a bit of down trim for boost due to the draggy tail and high mounted wing, but that was it.

The day was very clear as was the moon, so I intentionally steered during boost to set up for a moon crossing which timed out great with the theme music.

90770618_591262844843696_803449000802910208_n.jpg IMG_20200329_113605190.jpg IMG_20200329_164414915.jpg IMG_20200329_203431206.jpg IMG_20200331_102542954.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say that was amazing, except for you it is just typical. The music and the moon shot however took this one through the roof!

No, that won't work well with the way I do my construction and kitting, I could do it but a straight wing has less tolerance for cg shift, motor is very far back, nose moment isn't as long as required, tubes in back add tail weight, just starting off all wrong, better bet would be to try to take a cheap foamy ARF and strip it, it will look better than I can do in that sort of shape.

Frank

Any chance you could make an A-10?

I did one of those too long back, but not a lot of interest, to really do it justice it needs a built up fuse to get the shape right and that would require laser cutting which is cost prohibitive, and forces me to commit materials for one design, the way I do things I cut on demand so if I get no interest it doesn't leave me stuck with anything. anyway, getting a bit off topic here, start a new thread, things I want to see Frank make:)

Frank - great looking Starship - loved the video. If I were into R/C, I'd be near the top of the list for getting this puppy. Thank you.

Back